Cliffb

Covid Recovery Certificate for UK travellers and entry to Turkey
I Would like some advice regarding the entry requirements for UK residents travelling into Turkey.

Now that Turkey has been removed from the red list, access to Turkey has been made much easier although the UK remains in a special category according to the Turkish authorities. Whilst a lot of other countries can just show their proof of vaccination for entry there is still a requirement for UK travellers to have a PCR test before arrival: (see below)

“All arrivals into Turkey, except Turkish citizens or residence permit holders, must complete an online form within 72 hours of travel. This is not required for those passengers transiting Turkey en route to another country. All arrivals into Turkey, from countries other than those mentioned below, must have proof of either two Covid vaccinations or recent Covid recovery or a negative PCR test (within 72 hours of arrival).
Passengers arriving from UK, Iran, Egypt or Singapore will require a negative PCR test taken within the 72 hours prior to arriving in Turkey. This is not required for those passengers transiting Turkey en route to another country.
All arrivals into Turkey will be subject to a medical evaluation for symptoms of coronavirus, including temperature checks. Arrivals may be subject to random PCR testing on arrival.”

My question is what happens to those people who have tested positive whilst in the UK and now have an official Covid Recovery document. If you have tested positive and have recovered since the original test then the Covid Recovery certificate can be granted by the NHS after 10 days. (This is a policy that is also followed by most EU countries) If these people then had to undertake another PCR test there would be a good chance that a positive result would be shown and this could happen any time for the following 90 days. The NHS recommendation is to not undertake any further PCR tests within 90 days.

As one of the conditions for entry is a PCR test (and no other criteria mentioned) then this makes it almost impossible to travel to Turkey at the moment for UK travellers who have had a positive test and are fully recovered. There is however an allowance for other travellers who have had a positive test and can show a recovery certificate but this must be after 28 days of a positive result, but it is not mentioned for UK travellers. According to the NHS if you undertake a PCR test after testing positive and a full recovery and the test is positive once again then you have to legally undertake a 10 day isolation period. The result could possibly come back as positive as inactive virus particles are still detected up to 3 months later.

“or have had COVID-19 disease within the last six months starting from the 28th day of the first PCR test with positive result. These passengers shall not be required to submit a PCR/rapid antigen test report with negative result and quarantine measures shall not be applied for them”

If anyone knows what the situation is with the Turkish authorities regarding recovery certificates from UK travellers (and whether they are accepted) then please let me know as I fall into this category and would like to travel out soon.
I should also mention that I am double vaccinated in the UK and have been for some months before testing positive (but stil feeling well).

Last edited:

enoch

I Would like some advice regarding the entry requirements for UK residents travelling into Turkey.

Now that Turkey has been removed from the red list, access to Turkey has been made much easier although the UK remains in a special category according to the Turkish authorities. Whilst a lot of other countries can just show their proof of vaccination for entry there is still a requirement for UK travellers to have a PCR test before arrival: (see below)

“All arrivals into Turkey, except Turkish citizens or residence permit holders, must complete an online form within 72 hours of travel. This is not required for those passengers transiting Turkey en route to another country. All arrivals into Turkey, from countries other than those mentioned below, must have proof of either two Covid vaccinations or recent Covid recovery or a negative PCR test (within 72 hours of arrival).
Passengers arriving from UK, Iran, Egypt or Singapore will require a negative PCR test taken within the 72 hours prior to arriving in Turkey. This is not required for those passengers transiting Turkey en route to another country.
All arrivals into Turkey will be subject to a medical evaluation for symptoms of coronavirus, including temperature checks. Arrivals may be subject to random PCR testing on arrival.”

My question is what happens to those people who have tested positive whilst in the UK and now have an official Covid Recovery document. If you have tested positive and have recovered since the original test then the Covid Recovery certificate can be granted by the NHS after 10 days. (This is a policy that is also followed by most EU countries) If these people then had to undertake another PCR test there would be a good chance that a positive result would be shown and this could happen any time for the following 90 days. The NHS recommendation is to not undertake any further PCR tests within 90 days.

As one of the conditions for entry is a PCR test (and no other criteria mentioned) then this makes it almost impossible to travel to Turkey at the moment for UK travellers who have had a positive test and are fully recovered. There is however an allowance for other travellers who have had a positive test and can show a recovery certificate but this must be after 28 days of a positive result, but it is not mentioned for UK travellers. According to the NHS if you undertake a PCR test after testing positive and a full recovery and the test is positive once again then you have to legally undertake a 10 day isolation period. The result could possibly come back as positive as inactive virus particles are still detected up to 3 months later.

“or have had COVID-19 disease within the last six months starting from the 28th day of the first PCR test with positive result. These passengers shall not be required to submit a PCR/rapid antigen test report with negative result and quarantine measures shall not be applied for them”

If anyone knows what the situation is with the Turkish authorities regarding recovery certificates from UK travellers (and whether they are accepted) then please let me know as I fall into this category and would like to travel out soon.
I am afraid to say if you have been vaccinated in Turkey you will need to self isolation for 10 days no matter which vaccine you have had.

jakebeak

Has anyone got a link to the information about vaccinations from Turkey not being accepted in the UK? I'd like to read something official about it if anyone has anything they can let me read or a website link etc. Thanks.

Camden

Has anyone got a link to the information about vaccinations from Turkey not being accepted in the UK? I'd like to read something official about it if anyone has anything they can let me read or a website link etc. Thanks.

This is from a Turkish Tourist site for Turks info link below ...might be some help... translation

After being vaccinated in Turkey, citizens can create a vaccination card for themselves with applications such as HES or E-Nabız and add their passports to this card via HES and use them in case of going abroad.

The CoronaVac vaccine of China's Sinovac company, which is used mainly by healthcare professionals and citizens over 65, has not yet been approved by EU countries. EU recognized coronavirus vaccines; Pfizer/BioNTech, Oxford/AstraZeneca, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines.

It is not clear whether those who had to take their first two doses of Sinovac would be able to enter the EU after a single dose of BioNTech.

Recently, Turkey has been increasingly using the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, which is also approved by the EU. However , it is still not clear whether the first two doses of Sinovac will be able to enter the EU after a single dose of BioNTech.

EU countries have also introduced different practices from each other. For example, some member countries such as Spain allow passengers who have the Sinovac vaccine approved by the World Health Organization to enter the country.

Turkey is allowing people who were inoculated with Sinovac's (SVA.O)coronavirus vaccine to take an additional Pfizer (PFE.N)dose as it looks to ease travel to countries that have not approved the Chinese shot, the health ministry said on Monday.

enoch

I've put it on another post not sure which one.

Hi Cliffb, like you I have been looking at this. My understanding is people travelling from the UK must provide a negative PCR test 72 hours before arriving in Turkey. The other exceptions
  • A full course of Covid-19 vaccinations
  • recent recovery from Covid-19
  • a negative PCR test (within 72 hours of arrival).
do not apply to UK travellers. Unfortunately there is no guarantee even after the recommended 90 day gap between a positive PCR test and a second PCR test that the second test will be negative. I read a study published online in Italy last year which suggested an average person provides a negative test before the recommended 90 days, but this is not guaranteed. You can hope Turkey changes it’s entry requirements soon, but as the Turkeys vaccination programme is not on the approved list for the UK post the 04/10/21 I doubt this will happen.

Cliffb

Hi Cliffb, like you I have been looking at this. My understanding is people travelling from the UK must provide a negative PCR test 72 hours before arriving in Turkey. The other exceptions
  • A full course of Covid-19 vaccinations
  • recent recovery from Covid-19
  • a negative PCR test (within 72 hours of arrival).
do not apply to UK travellers. Unfortunately there is no guarantee even after the recommended 90 day gap between a positive PCR test and a second PCR test that the second test will be negative. I read a study published online in Italy last year which suggested an average person provides a negative test before the recommended 90 days, but this is not guaranteed. You can hope Turkey changes it’s entry requirements soon, but as the Turkeys vaccination programme is not on the approved list for the UK post the 04/10/21 I doubt this will happen.
Hi Rob & Juls, yes it appears that the UK are being treated as a special category and there is no mention of acceptance of proof of recovery. In this case it looks like any UK traveller who has recently recovered from Covid will have to wait 3 months (from their initial positive test) before attempting to enter into Turkey. It seems rather strange especially as the Turkish Tourist Agency were desperate for UK tourists and interestingly I have noticed that the Turkish Travel advert (Fly Above) has just appeared again on UK prime time TV after being absent for a few months.

Yes, however experts cannot not provide a definite number of days when a person recovering from Covid will test negative in a follow up PCR. Apparently factors like age, severity of the infection, sex and even if you isolated alone and not with another infected person all impact on when a person would provide a negative test Following infection. From what a I have read the 90 days NHS recommended gap between tests is very conservative and most people cease shedding the virus earlier than this and therefore would provide a negative test before the 90 days. The Turkish authorities only require a negative test when the is taken after infection is not issue it’s the result. Minefield come to mind!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom