Dellol

Covering up the damp??????
Hi all,
I know this has been covered a million times and you are probably all sick of it, but I have just re-read over some older threads and have a few questions for anyone who has some answers: In one thread it has been stated that the damp is 'inside' your walls not ''outside'. Also, that damp does not rise above approx. 1.2 metres. If all this is true (hopefully it is) do you think covering your outer walls with stone, slab, american sliding etc up to approx. 1.2 metres, will actually do any harm? I realise it is not a solution, but a cover up, but if it actually does not do any harm, then at least it will cover up that ugly outer look that is the first thing you see when you look at a villa. I know it is not everyone's cup of tea, so at this stage, I'm not asking for opinions on the look, just what you think of the cover up idea.......

guinevere

we have stone along the bottom of our villa ,i hate to think what it would look like if we didn't have it ! there are places you can see the white sort of salty residue ,i assume that's the damp .one day we will probably take it off and re-do it with the black waterproof grout stuff .

dalyansteve

I have had damp problems for years and have tried several ways to try and eliminate or even just hide it. None of us want the damp showing inside, so this last year I painted the inside with liquid silicon to the height of 1.5m and then used a good silicon based internal paint on top. Outside I painted with good quality exterior paint. The result over the last winter has been that there is no sign of damp inside, however the damp tide mark, peeling and blistering has moved up the wall to just under the level that I painted inside with liquid silicon, by the way this stinks when you do it.
Conclusion, do not clad the walls with stone outside, it compounds the problem inside you could try what I have done and use siding outside thereby allowing the wall to breathe but keeping it all out of sight with the siding. Theoretically this should solve the problem.

Dellol

I have had damp problems for years and have tried several ways to try and eliminate or even just hide it. None of us want the damp showing inside, so this last year I painted the inside with liquid silicon to the height of 1.5m and then used a good silicon based internal paint on top. Outside I painted with good quality exterior paint. The result over the last winter has been that there is no sign of damp inside, however the damp tide mark, peeling and blistering has moved up the wall to just under the level that I painted inside with liquid silicon, by the way this stinks when you do it.
Conclusion, do not clad the walls with stone outside, it compounds the problem inside you could try what I have done and use siding outside thereby allowing the wall to breathe but keeping it all out of sight with the siding. Theoretically this should solve the problem.

aaaahhhhhh so the American Siding is not attached to your wall, there is a gap and it allows breathing, I did not know this..... I guess I just want to cover it up (but not make it worse)....

thanks for your help everyone.

dalyansteve

I have not put the siding on yet, I am waiting to see the results of next winter and leaving the tide mark as it is, the most important thing for me was to get rid of the internal damp. By the way ours is an old village house with a non existant base so all my damp is rising.

Guz1

We have brick facing on the lower part of our house. Although we don't have a damp problem I believe that is due to the the house being raised the requisite metre or so from the ground. Some of our neighbours don't have facing on their walls. Their exterior walls are as ugly as you describe but they seem to use a very thin coat of paint - more like interior emulsion than exterior water resistant paint - with the result that they have to touch up their paintwork every year.

Our bricks are not pointed. I queried that on the forum a few years ago and was advised that it's better not to have them pointed.....maybe it lets the walls breathe.

The short answer to your question is that the bricks do hide signs of exterior damp. Siding would probably do the same, but I imagine the siding would be hard to keep clean at ground level.

Hi

Here are a few tips that i think might help with the battle against the black mould

1) If the humidity levels rise above 70% the spores become active so the battle is to keep the humidity levels down. The humidity can rise either because of water getting in through several reasons ie.. condensation, roof leaks, window leaks etc.

2) Fit airbricks to let more air circulate, I am fitting some 12v solar panels and fans to the external walls to draw the damp air out.

3) Have hygrometers in the rooms to give you a warning to tell you how much moisture is in the air ( you can find them in pet shops)

4) Leave moisture absorbant granules in the rooms in the winter months.

5) Add a anti-mould additive to the paint, it costs about £5.00 for a pot to do 2.5l

6) If a friend looks after your appt get a de-humidifier and get them to check the hygrometers and if the reading is high dehumidify the appt for an hour or two

Last edited:

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Hi hgvcourses, i have looked at the solar 12 volt fans on e bay look good at 25 to forty pounds, do you know how many you would need for a small house, Was thinking of one blow, one suck to create a throughflow. Thanks for the points that you raised.
Steve.

pldouglas

Remembering the damp victorian houses we have had in the past, I'm not sure that a 'cover up' is ever really a good idea - if you can't see whats going on how are you going to either fix it or know when its really getting bad - remember the pine panelling of the 1970's, it covered up a multitude of sins until the stuff fell off the wall because the damp behind it got so bad!
We had a bit of damp in our place, though oddly enough on the top floor as opposed to rising damp. We painted the entire exterior WITHOUT watering down the paint. We also capped the top of the parapit and, so far, dispite a very wet winter in Turkey, problem solved.

Hi Steve

I am going to try an airbrick to let the fresh air in and a fan to extract. I got a fan and a panel from ebay and it works quite well

chunkyguru

chunkyguru
SolarVenti exhibitions -cure damp and get free secondary heating plus fresh air circulation

Come and see SolarVenti working outside the main entrance to Kipa, Bodrum on May 30/31. The exhibitions are hosted by DampFreeHomesdotcom, the authorized agent for SolarVenti in the Bodrum Peninsula.

Exhibitions will start each day at 9am and finish at 7pm

This is a great opportunity for everybody to see SolarVenti in action, ask any questions that they like, and for any confusions surrounding this fantastic new (to Turkey) product to be put to rest.

It would be helpful, and save time, if you arrived with a piece of paper with your name and email details on it, so that I can later send you an email with web links to cover pretty much anything you need about SolarVenti for your future reference and for emailing to friends with similar problems.

I look forward to seeing you a good number of you sometime over the coming weekend

Hi, Saw your post -please look at wwwdotdampfreehomesdotcom - look especially at products page and Frequently Asked Questions. I sell Solarventi here in Bodrum Peninsula and wil be happy to help you find a solution to your problems. I am in Turkey until June 4 on 0536 741 7237. After that you can call me in UK on 07976 693533. Please give me a call if still intereste in solving your damp problems - I do not hassle people, so I await your call (or you can email me with details of your property and I can give you a ballpark quote (peteratdampfreehomesdotcom) - Regards Peter

Check out wwwdotdampfreehomesdotcom - if interested please call me.
Turkcell is 0536 741 7237(here until June 4); Uk mobile is 07973 185114 Or email me at :peter@dampfrreehomes.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom