pldouglas

Courgette excess
I currently have no less than 14 different fruit and veg going mad in my garden - I actually couldn't fit the rubarb through the back door! The courgettes have suddenly doubled in size and I had to pick no less than 11 before they turned into marrow. Since the dearly beloved is in Yalikavak for another week and therefore not here to eat them, I needed to store these courgettes somehow, because they don't freeze alone very well. Soup was the answer, homemade courgette soup with lots of garlic and herbs, bung it in the freezer and bobs your uncle, lovley homemade soup at the ready when we come home from long chilly winter walks. Lovley.
Any other ideas on storing the excesses of vegetable gardens?

pldouglas

Courgette excess
How do you make it Pld

Roughly chop your corgettes/marrow and throw them into a pan (I use the old pressure cooker) Roughly chop an onion and add to the pan. Chuck in a couple of veggie stock cubes dissolved in a litre of water, plus a good measure (about 2 tablespoons) of herbs and crushed garlic. Boil the whole lot for about 5 minutes and then blend to your desired consistency. Freeze when cooled.
Single cream added just before serving is an added naughty (but nice) option!

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Courgette excess
You could also make chutney or pickle. There are hundreds of sites on the www with methods and recipes.

Ava

Courgette excess
Try adding other vegetables into the mix, courgette and broccoli soup is lovely. Same as above but puree the broccoli before adding to the soup. Carrots work as well. Make courgettte fritters and freeze before you fry them.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom