Council tax catchup!
Hi
I wonder if anyone out there can give me somE info regarding council tax amounts - especially in the Dalaman area. :hmm:

We purchased a house in 2005, and received the Tapu in Oct 2005. Unfortunately, our agents at the time, (no longer trading????!!) did not advise us about council tax payments, and we assumed having registered for water and electric and tax numbers, a letter would follow in the post re annual fees due. 'TWAS NOT TO BE!

Last time were out, on the last day, I met another p/t resident who said he had paid his in full in April, but could not remember how much. He also said that there are fines for late payment - whoops!

What I would like to know,as I am back out in 2 weeks, is
1. how much are the council tax payments - are they based on Tapu value?
2. What sort of fine am I looking at?
3. How many times a year/ when are they due?
4. Whilst at the water office regitering, I was taken to another office, and do hold a nil YTL "Bina Vergisi" - is this anything to do with council tax - if so - what?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me on this, albeit vaguely! Also, if I don't appear on line again before Christmas, and the authorities consider me to be to have been purposely evading payments, maybe the charity fund will offer up some "bail" for me!!!!!!! :ballchain

Thanks again
Karen

Martyn

Council tax catchup!
We have just returned from Altinkum(4th July) and on the 3rd we paid our council tax. It cost us 39.42YTL each. I don't know any other answers other than it is paid once a year and I believe you have until September to pay.

Council tax catchup!
Thanks for that.
Did you pay each because there are two names on the Tapu - or is it per quota per residence? They messed up our Tapu on processing, so it only has my name on it. Might this mean only one person to pay per set of payments a year?
Thanks
Karen

Martyn

Council tax catchup!
Crawley Karen said:
Thanks for that.
Did you pay each because there are two names on the Tapu - or is it per quota per residence? They messed up our Tapu on processing, so it only has my name on it. Might this mean only one person to pay per set of payments a year?
Thanks
Karen

Hi Karen

Both our names are on the tapu so we both had to pay tax.

Council tax catchup!
That's good news to a degree! I can cope with the sort of council tax amoubt you quoted, and asume the fines will be either double or triple - whatever they will hopefully be, looks a damn site less than what we pay at home - especially here "darn sarf"!
Thanks again for the info
K

Martyn

Council tax catchup!
I thought I read somewhere that the fine was 50% on top so that wouldn't be too bad.

Guz1

Council tax catchup!
As far as I can remember, the tax is a percentage of the value stated on your tapu. It is a very small percentage. The rates are listed on the Turkish Embassy's London website. I don't have the link it to hand, but I'm sure if you do a search on this topic the link has been posted many times before.

The tax is payable twice yearly. There are two names on our tapu so we pay double the rate.

Council tax catchup!
Thanks Guz

I have had a quick look at the relevant section on the website, and it would appear to be 0.1% of property price - hence Tapu involvement, payable twice a year - March, April or May, and November time. Hope this helps others. There was no mention of penalty amounts?

Karen

A

AymetHomes

Council tax catchup!
phew. no-one else pays so why bother?

Guz1

Council tax catchup!
Karen,
Somewhere at the back of my mind I recall a mention of a higher percentage in some (touristy) areas, so that could be 0.2% in your area. I believe (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the penalties are not standard and are decided at Belediye level. If it's any help to you we had our place a few years before we paid and the penalty, if any, was negligible.
Good Luck.
Maria.

P.S. to AymetHomes: For the sake of your customers, I hope your business conscience is better than your social conscience.

Last edited:

Sunflower

Council tax catchup!
If I remember rightly, the property tax is 0.05% of the declared value of the property (as written on the title deed). Late payments mean a fine, but not a big one.

Council tax catchup!
Council tax UK £1600 p.a.(variable) Council tax Turkey 80 YTL (2 people on tapu)p.a. variable. Where's the problem?

Smiler

Council tax catchup!
On our small complex in Dalaman, one couple have paid 67YTL, another 87YTL each, I'm still waiting to find out what I'm due to pay, (no escape as the guy who looks after our place is also a tax inspecter in Dalaman...).

I still can't work out that with all the council tax we pay here, we get our dustbins emptied every two weeks, if we are lucky, (and our street lights turned off at night), yet our council tax in Turkey pays towards having our bin emptied most days.

Council tax catchup!
Hi
A big thank you to all who have posted replies. I certainly now have peace of mind that I will be able to afford to eat and enjoy my Efes's as well as being able to pay the bills!
Here here to being proud Brits and abiding by the laws. I for one would not wish to get caught out in Turkey as there is only my name on the Tapu. I always tell my husband to have a "release fund" spare, just incase I have overlooked anything and God forbid my holiday becomes courtesy of the Jandarme!
Thanks again to all who have taken the time to reply.

Karen

kaplumba

Council tax catchup!
Although I agree council tax in UK is a pain, you are not comparing like for like when you compare it with Turkey. To start with Turkish salaries are so much lower than ours. Mine for the same job in Turkey is almost 10 times higher.
Our council tax whether you like it/use it or not pays for much more than emptying bins. It pays for - education (our schools provide many more resources than in Turkey, parents there have to fork out for all supplies), housing, planning, transport, highways, police and fire services, social services, libraries, leisure and recreation, environmental health and trading standards. Where my place is in Turkey they only empty bins every couple of days during the summer season when it is hot.
I know we moan about roads but on the whole they are in a better state than many Turkish roads, I've never seen a public Turkish library and I use mine a lot, I don't think there's much social help for the disabled or elderly or battered wives in Turkey. I don't think they have trading standards either! So there you go it depends on the earnings in a country and what services are provided. Before anyone starts on me I agree there is probably wastage in UK and we may not always get value for money, but I am glad to have most of those services.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom