cottage pie or shepherds pie
im going to make one or other of these two tomorrow...i know one is beef and one is lamb.....and although i can make a fairly good basic one i never seem to be able to get that lovely moist gravy texture...i would be glad of a nice recipe.
im wondering if swede and tatties mashed for the top would be ok ..or is it best just to have plain mash.

kaplumba

A bit of swede sounds yummy. I always cook onions, mushrooms and the meat and then chuck in a can of tomatoes and some tomato puree. A friend of mine also chucks in a can of baked beans and I sometimes add sweet corn. I think it's a case of bung in what you fancy and then stick the mash on top!

Raysalaff

Just Call Me Ray !
im going to make one or other of these two tomorrow...i know one is beef and one is lamb.....and although i can make a fairly good basic one i never seem to be able to get that lovely moist gravy texture...i would be glad of a nice recipe.
im wondering if swede and tatties mashed for the top would be ok ..or is it best just to have plain mash.
You can use beef or lamb in either, the only diference is there are shepherds in one and cottages in the other, Sweed and tatters are fine for a topping, we put peas and carrots in the Cottage pie, when making the Shepherds pie I always put some mint in with the meat. Come on over Shirl and we will show you how we do it :heh:
We used to make a pie called Monday Pie it was made from (guess what? Sunday left overs) we used to put a can of Baked Beans in that, The choice is yours.

Last edited:

Tess

Shirley I add some bisto (not sure if you can get it) to the meat and veg before i put it in the dish and then add the potatoes on top. Some cheese added to the potatoes is lovely.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Shirley when i come over i'm going to make you one thats so good you'll eat your fingers of !!! { hubby says that } Very slowly simmer minced steak . weth finely chopped onion .. Skim off the brown scummy stuff . for the gravy add a little beef stock and cornflower .. Then place in the oven with the mash of your choice on top ..When mash starts to turn golden sprinkle with grated cheese , and serve with vegtables of your choice .. meat must be cooked slowly . I'll bring a bit of nice aberdeen angus mince ...Diane

kaplumba

Hey Shirl Diane might come to Datca with Hil and I in April so you had better hop on a bus and get up there. I can pick you up in a car from Marmaris. We'll let her loose in the kitchen!

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Ha Ha Jane you'd better bring a couple of loaves of bread then for the bread and butter pudding and a tot of brandy and small fresh cream ..Who wants to Diet anyway ....Plenty of time to loose wieght when we're 6 foot under !!!!....Diane

kaplumba

Oh yummy - but shhh Diane we'll end up with more people than we can cope with. There are 7 beds max and then 2 would have to share!!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
We'e at the other end so no worries about hijacking you.

When I make mine I always mix my mash then add grated cheese (very strong cheddar and onions), and then just top it all off score the mash ans add a huge knob of butter. I never use packet mixes when cooking, my Grandma taught me well, she always said the juice from your meat is the best source.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Oh yummy - but shhh Diane we'll end up with more people than we can cope with. There are 7 beds max and then 2 would have to share!!

Ha ha Well i hope the " Shared " one is for hubby and me !!!!
cos we can't have a carry on like the apple crumble case can we
It would put me off what i'm doing in the kitchen ..Diane

hijo

in my own clique
.. i usually make ..shepherds/cottage pie about a dozen in one go ..i use the tin foil containers you get from takeaways ,there about 9tl for a 100.. i sweat loads of veg ..whatever i have to hand..eg, peas , onions ,carrots, mushrooms ..then take them away from your pot now sweat the mince off also(in the same pot).. i put very little water in when making this as there should be enough juice coming out of the meat and the veg, when its cooked add a thickner ..i find gravy granules work ..(so less seasoning to start)..toss in loads of chopped parsley , then i put them into my containers, while there cooling i make my mash ..with butter a little milk and a couple of eggs, when the mince is cooled put the mash on top,i put on grated cheese, i always leave enough room for my lid to go on ,label on top then into the freezer.job done ...i take it out of the freezer in the morning ,take of the lid, pop in the oven for about 20 minutes ...that alone is a meal itself , ps these take away conainers are great for steak pies ,and the milfoy pastry you buy in the supermakets just fit the containers,also are great for fruit crumbles and pies..and easy storage in the freezer :28:

Last edited:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
All of the above is interesting, but I use lots of garlic, red wine and the onions should be caramelised - anything to deepen the flavour of what can sometimes be presented as a rather bland dish (childhood memories).

All mince seems to improve if kept overnight following the first cooking - flavour seems to improve noticeably.

Ian

Number6

Try this Winter Pie - Delicious!

Winter Pie

Serves 4
Ingredients
30g/1oz butter
2 tbsp oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, sliced
55g/2oz peas
55g/2oz sweetcorn
450g/1lb minced beef
150ml/¼ pint rich beef gravy
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
herbs to taste
For the topping:
6 tbsp double cream
30g/1oz butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1kg/2¼lb potatoes, boiled and mashed
85g/3oz cheddar cheese, grated

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Grease a deep 1.75 litre/2½ pint ovenproof dish with the butter.
3. Heat the oil in a sauce, add the onion, carrot, peas, sweetcorn and beef and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the gravy, Worcestershire sauce and herbs. Transfer to the ovenproof dish.
5. Make the topping: beat the cream, 25g/1oz butter and the eggs into the hot mashed potato. Add the cheese and mix thoroughly.
6. Spoon the topping on top of the meat mixture and brush with the remaining butter.
7. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
We'e at the other end so no worries about hijacking you.

When I make mine I always mix my mash then add grated cheese (very strong cheddar and onions), and then just top it all off score the mash ans add a huge knob of butter. I never use packet mixes when cooking, my Grandma taught me well, she always said the juice from your meat is the best source.

Coming up to:504xn: yours then....

Traditionally Shepherds Pie was lamb mince (from Sunday's joint!) with mash on top, and Cottage Pie was beef mince (again from Sunday's joint) with thinly sliced potatoes on top - hence the "cottage".

I make them both ways - yummy!

Hey Shirl Diane might come to Datca with Hil and I in April so you had better hop on a bus and get up there. I can pick you up in a car from Marmaris. We'll let her loose in the kitchen!

haha...thats a risk Jane...me diane and hil all in one go...i hope the captains up for it..and the long haired painter ..thanks for the invite i'd love to come.

Some lovely ideas here..many thanks.Never thought of half of these things.
Tes i cant get bisto...well i though i couldnt and then i saw some in Kipa yesterday..but the price was ridiculous.
İ have some nice beef mince ..i havent got canned toms but will put in some tomato paste.
theres so many great ideas here im sure we could organise a TLF recipe book and flog it...why not.

arrian

R.I.P
many years ago my eldest daughter lived in greece, youngest lived in germany, used to have to send oxos to greece and cornflour to germany!!

kaplumba

Sunny seasider of course you would be welcome to lunch especially if Diane is cooking. I know Gail mentioned she might come too, she wants to meet Diane. Shirl if you come up I'll bring you some Bisto and any other things you can't get or duty free vodka (send me a list).

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Thats 10 of us so far .....Forget the packs of scottish beef ,, Just order the whole cow !!! I'm sure we can eat it in 7 days ...H a HA Ha ....Diane

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Weird.. I'm attempting one of these today! .. Although Hijo's mash topping sounds gorgeous I just want to top with normal mash. Now at the risk of upetting all you supercooks I have to confess that when I have mash its actually Smash, so can someone tell me a nice real mash method that does'nt take up too much time?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom