Cost of living.
Hi, We are thinking of moving to Turkey next year and buying a second home as we have an apt already for rental purposes which we hope to get enough income to at least pay any bills/maintanence, so that would give us around 1600TL monthly for everything else, question is would that be enough to survive on i.e. food/leisure. We are looking for a simple but better quality of life.
All opinions welcome.

juco

Cost of living.
Turkishcap, email me direct as I have an excel programme that will help you work out your costs if planning to live there, It works off the older version of excel.

juco

Cost of living.
could you send me a copy too Juco, thanx

emailed you yesterday

It was sent to you yesterday, if you still don`t have it mail me and I will send again.
It was your work address and maybe there is a block on attachments.

Last edited:

Peregrine

Cost of living.
Hi, ............we have an apt already for rental purposes which we hope to get enough income to at least pay any bills/maintanence, ........................
All opinions welcome.

have you actually let the place so far? if not then I recommend you see how it goes for a couple of seasons - rental income is (in my opinion anyway) a lot less in Turkey than you would expect. Jus breaking even is doing well in the current climate

gazzer

Cost of living.
I Agree.. income from rentals are at an all time low due to the amount available... some people are lucky if they can rent at all !!

Gary

Cost of living.
I was having a chat with Ken this morning about the cost of living and he seems to think it all comes down to whether I buy cheap shoes from the market or designer boots in Istanbul. The boots won!

Veronica

pldouglas

Cost of living.
We certainly would not base monthly income expectaions on any property rental.
Don't forget to factor in medical insurance (look at maximum age too) and also the cost of going back to your country of origin for family visits.
Bear in mind you will have the cost of totally furnishing a new home from the cutlery to the furniture.
Best advice - try before you buy i.e. rent for 6/12 months before taking the plunge.

Mollie

Cost of living.
Hi Turkishcap

We have rented out our house here in the UK from 20th December and we are spending Christmas and New year in Altinkum. We always intended to spend 6 months here in UK working and 6 months in Altinkum, then a few weeks ago a friend who knew about our plans contacted us and said her daughter and hubby were looking for a house to rent in our area - but their rental agreement was up on 20th December. We decided to go for it and booked our flights, now ALL we have to do is get the house sorted out (some painting and decorating, dodgy window etc), find alternative accommodation in UK (holiday home) and sort out the finances (nightmare). We have decided to use this as an experiment and are putting £3,000 in our bank account in Turkey and see how long it lasts. We intend to eat out at least once and week and live well (no scripping and saving). We have an electric water boiler in Turkey and no solar panels, what with electric fires etc will be interesting to see what electric bill is and how it compares to UK.
If anyone is interested we will post regular updates of how we get on and more importantly the money situation!!!

Cost of living.
hi Mollie,

i would be very interested on how you get on with £3000.00 in the bank please keep me informed.

thanks again

remus

Cost of living.
Hi Mollie,

I would be very interested in your update's.
Good luck on your new adventure.

Kind regards,

Marie

moortenerife

moortenerife
Cost of living.
good luck, hope everything works out for you. look forward to you keeping us updated on the situation. have fun.

Cost of living.
Good luck,with £3000 thats around 7400tl thats just over 300tl a week you will need to be carefull, hope you can manage it as our food bill every two weeks alone about 250tl,thats not anything fancy and no alcohol, also utility bills and running the car,has to taken into account.

So say 500tl a week that will last about 15 weeks!... it can be done but running a house in the uk for around £200 would be hard going...it is not that much cheaper here unless you go to the market and eat veg all the time!....but please let us know how long you get by on £3000.....it would be a good experiment and maybe a lesson to alot of people,

Hope all goes to plan Jim.

Last edited:
Cost of living.
Cheers Mollie will keep an eye out on your situation and thanks to all who have replied so far. We thought about renting our house but in current climate although it would cover the outgoings we would make no extra money so thats ruled out.
We are not in a position to rent in Turkey first as we would need an income so thats stuffed too!

Cost of living.
I did`nt get an answer last time so hopefully.....can anyone tell me the cost of medical ins? I`51 & Mrs tc is 54.
Ta.

eldivenci

Cost of living.
I was born in 1957 (male), I have insurance with Aksigorta, the last renewal was in october, annual cost 873TL which I paid over 8 months in equal instalments.
The details are quite complicated. There are different conditions for 'anlaşmalı' hospitals (that have an agreement with the company) and anlaşmasız (without). The highest cost items all have unlimited 100% cover (inpatient treatment, bed, intensive care, operations, anjiografi, chemo, rehabilitation, emergency). There are limits for most of the rest, including outpatient treatment, doctors fees and prescriptions (all have annual limit of 1,750 limit and 80%). Emergency care abroad only has 60% covered and 10,000 limit. After a 3 or 4 years (I think) of the same policy the commpany cannot dump you if you get a long-term condition.

I hope this is helpful. I expect there is quite a variation between policies. I am looking forward to seeing whether I am paying more or less than others.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom