Marian

Cost of living In Turkey
Is it expensive in Turkey. last time i was there i was on the all inclusive tour and not had a chance to go out shopping.

what does it cost for a meal out? or a pint? or clothes?
:3:

Cost of living In Turkey
Have to say not much cheaper than the uk for day to day shopıng,not the same as ıt was a few years back when you could lıve for half the prıce!but stıll a better way of lıfe here by far.Jım

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
Cost of living In Turkey
2.5-3 YTL for an Efes/Tuborg/Vole beer.

A meal is a hard one as it depends where you go. Excluding alcohol a light lunch such as a pide could cost as little as 4YTL. Evening meals can start from approx 15YTL for 3 courses. Bear in mind you can spend an awful lot more than this per person too.

At our favourite restaurant a 3 course meal costs approx 70YTL excluding drinks.

Clothes...hmm...i never ever buy clothes here as they don't do any that i like.

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
Cost of living In Turkey
Forgot to say about grocery shopping. We go to Migros and it costs us a lot more than we spent at home on groceries.

nanamo

Cost of living In Turkey
We think the jeans are a good buy especially for the kids. We've never had a dodgy pair (yet). You can buy fake designer jeans in the local markets for about 40 lira or barter if buying more. I think the styles and cut are much better than we can get in the UK and our kids still wearing those we bought last summer with no signs of wear. Molly

claire1976

Cost of living In Turkey
Is it expensive in Turkey. last time i was there i was on the all inclusive tour and not had a chance to go out shopping.

what does it cost for a meal out? or a pint? or clothes?
:3:

Depends on where you go in Turkey! I've just spent 2 weeks at our apartment in Dalaman and came home with cash to spare. My husband, 7 yr old son and I were eating out with drinks quite easily for £15-20 in total. That was for 3 main courses, 2-4 fruit juices and a couple of beers so not bad really. My hubby had a fabulous tender steak meal for less than £4, don't know anywhere in UK where you can get that!
We did a reasonable shop in Sevigolu for a lot less than UK and buying fruit/veg from the markets is loads cheaper as well.
However, when we went to Dalyan and Gocek for the day we really noticed a difference with prices. Almost double in the restaurants and we were paying 80 kurus for a can of pop in Dalaman whereas Gocek it was 2.5ytl!
Local markets are cheap for clothes, the odd person will try it on when they know you are a foreigner but the tourist markets are much more expensive.

dngood

Cost of living In Turkey
For groceries, there's a report which compares the cost of a basket of shopping between the UK (Sainsburys) and Turkey (Migros) here: The Price of Food

Generally it's cheaper if you stick to domestic goods, but as Ken said; it's very comparable to the UK.

Dave.

Madwife

Cost of living In Turkey
Agreed. Depends where you go for your groceries. The one thing I find VERY expensive is good coffee. We like Nescafe Alta Rica. Maybe we should modify our tastes??

Fruit & veg is really reasonable if you buy from the markets and it's nearly all organic. Most has a much richer taste than the stuff we have in UK that's been forced and then chilled to get it to the supermarket. There's something of a feel good about shopping locally for produce and carrying a couple of bags back home. Kind of Shirley Valentineish - oops, wrong country!

Clothes - on our trip in Feb we arrived but our baggage didn't. So we had to go shopping for clothes in a hurry. Couldn't find anything really suitable and I found the cut to be on the skinny side, which I'm not. What we did get (at Soke Retail Outlet) didn't last 5 minutes. So, think I'll stick to M&S. But I'm sure there must be decent gear somewhere; just haven't found it yet.

We've sarted using the small bars when in Didim for eating out. It's REALLY cheap and very good. (Yes - and quite 'hot' too) Just not fancy like the bigger restaurants. We had 2 courses and a beer each - cost about 14YTL altogether

And out at Mavesehir, there was a tiny place at the side of a little track. Made us the best pide we've had. And only 8YTL - total including a soft drink each! So it's really up to you how daft you go on spending, But..... enjoy it; it's Turkey!!

Jon & Mia

Cost of living In Turkey
What about things like Towels, bed linnen etc - I want to know whether to buy in the UK and take it with me to furnish my appartment or simply buy in turkey.
Also - are there shops like Comet or Currys where I can get a TV, Microwave, kettle, toaster etc at reasonable prices?

pldouglas

Cost of living In Turkey
You can buy all you need there. The big supermarkets like Kipa sell white goods and there are also plenty of independent shops for better quality furniture etc. In fact I think the only major item we ever took out there was a rather pretty electric log-burner which I have to say looks rather nice and is most welcome in the cold winters.
My husband laughed at the things I packed for our first stay in our new home there, five years ago now and Christmas time. I packed lots of books, 4 hotwater bottles, a good corkscrew and a large bottle of malt whiskey - he wasn't laughing by the time we had stayed a night in our lovley but freezing new home, however he was somewhat comforted by the items in the suitcase!
I actually loathe shopping and didn't particuarlly enjoy fitting out our villa, but it is possible to visit a main furniture shop for all the beds, sofas etc. Then one electrical shop for all the white goods. They seem to deliver very promptly - have the tea and a good tip ready for the hard working delivery chaps.

dngood

Cost of living In Turkey
John & Mia,

Turkey is one of the biggest cotton exporters in the world, so most towels and linen products you get in the UK are actually made in Turkey! You can always pick up good quality towels at good prices if you know where to look.

Depending on which region you're in, the larger supermarkets (Migros, Kipa etc...) will all stock electricals at good prices. Also look for Arçelik, Beko, Vestel and TeknoSA shops, which sell electrical goods.

claire1976

Cost of living In Turkey
What about things like Towels, bed linnen etc - I want to know whether to buy in the UK and take it with me to furnish my appartment or simply buy in turkey.
Also - are there shops like Comet or Currys where I can get a TV, Microwave, kettle, toaster etc at reasonable prices?

Towels and Linen are pretty cheap to be honest, again the markets and local shops have plenty of choice. We did bring out some duvet sets from tesco mostly because a lot of turkish stuff is patterned which I don't like.
Electrical goods are very expensive in Turkey and you are not supposed to bring them from the UK. However, we bought a small TV/DVD player with us in suitcase and didn't get stopped. Friends of ours have done the same.
Kettles and Toasters are very expensive considering you can get them for a fiver at tesco. We will be bringing a toaster out next time, so long as you remember adaptor plugs.
Larger TV's are coming down in price and it pays to shop around and barter of course.

Madwife

Cost of living In Turkey
I brought out my bedlinen, 'cause I don't like heavily patterned stuff either. Also I prefer egyptian cotton, high thread count. Actually got most of it off QVC (northern nights) and it's really nice and cool to sleep in. Everything else was bought locally. Shop around, don't go for the first thing you see. Didn't find that haggling got me very far with the actual cost, but it did get a nice freebie or two. By the way, bartering is when you trade one thing for another. Haggling is 'discussing' the price

pldouglas

Cost of living In Turkey
Just got back from a trip to Sainsbury here on the south coast of GB and think I have discovered some of the answer to the original question of cost of living Turkey v GB. Its all about the choice and the fact that your average large supermarket probably has more choice than e.g. Kipa in Bodrum. For example, I bought 4 huge cartons of organic live yoghurt in exotic flavours, I also bought 4 cartons of Tiramisu, a large goats cheese, pepper and walnut flan and 4 Yellowfin Sole fillets plus some Wild Mushroom and cheese slices. I can't remember seeing these sort of things in Turkey, and I am not suggesting one neccessarily needs them (you can always make stuff) but my point is that I think one is tempted into spending more in a UK supermarket because the choice is there, however not neccessarily at higher prices. Can't really comment on veg and salad because I grow all that myself and fruit in GB has been ruined for us since we sampled the gorgous stuff grown out there.
Am I making any sense or is it time for me to chain myself to the kitchen sink and start cooking dinner!

lakegl

Cost of living In Turkey
I actually took some bedding (purchased at tesco very cheaply) over with me but beware because duvets over there seem to be a different size!
The 'millionaire' shop in altinkum just down and on the same side as carrefour is marvellous! Bit like a pound shop and everything you could need cheaply. From laundry baskets, hammers, nails, sewing cotton, kithchenware, pictures, tea towels, washing line, picnicware, mops, brooms etc - all the odd things you will need. Very cheap but so useful for a lot of things. You will find yourself there time and time again!
Things like irons, dvd players, toasters and so on I find more expensive. They are much cheaper here at Argos or Tesco. We are 5 in the family so they will go out next time like pack horses for me!
Towels and some bedding are about the same but some bedding I bought in a pack was a bit stiff and cheap - needed several washes to soften it down a bit.
The bedding provided with the apartment package is very cheap and barely fitted my beds.
I find it fun buying over there but it does need some time and research. Good luck!
Glenda and Keith

Latest Posts

Top Bottom