35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Coronavirus
Some I know dont want Chinese vaccine.
Mind you neither do I.
Damn right Alva.
Well worth +140mil to be able to use a vaccine that has yet to be approved by WHO.
(I am open to correction on this.)
Fact is Jaycey, none of the vaccines need WHO approval. Approval for vaccines in and across the EU are done by the EU, not the WHO & that’s the position with the Oxford vaccine, it’s the EU currently scrutinising it.
Their vaccine(s) contracts and dealings are now being looked into by the EU Ombudsman......

esb1841

Coronavirus

Covid: Italian PM brands vaccine delay 'unacceptable​

On Saturday, Mr Conte wrote on Facebook: "Our vaccination plan ... has been drawn up on the basis of contractual pledges freely undertaken by pharmaceutical companies with the European Commission."​

"Such delays in deliveries represent serious contractual violations, which cause enormous damage to Italy and other countries," he added.
Poland has also vowed to take action over the delay.

What is happening elsewhere in Europe?​

Austrian media have reported that only 600,000 of 2m AstraZeneca doses promised by the end of March will arrive in the country on time, with the remaining 1.4m now being delivered in April.
A delay would be "completely unacceptable", Austrian Health Minister Rudolf Anschober said on Friday.

I think we all know that the UK would be at the bottom of the list for rollout if we had signed upto the EU scheme

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Coronavirus

Covid: Italian PM brands vaccine delay 'unacceptable​

On Saturday, Mr Conte wrote on Facebook: "Our vaccination plan ... has been drawn up on the basis of contractual pledges freely undertaken by pharmaceutical companies with the European Commission."​

"Such delays in deliveries represent serious contractual violations, which cause enormous damage to Italy and other countries," he added.
Poland has also vowed to take action over the delay.

What is happening elsewhere in Europe?​

Austrian media have reported that only 600,000 of 2m AstraZeneca doses promised by the end of March will arrive in the country on time, with the remaining 1.4m now being delivered in April.
A delay would be "completely unacceptable", Austrian Health Minister Rudolf Anschober said on Friday.

I think we all know that the UK would be at the bottom of the list for rollout if we had signed upto the EU scheme
Instead it seems that the whole of the EU is at the bottom of the list.....

Last edited:

Jaycey

African Refugee
Coronavirus
Fact is Jaycey, none of the vaccines need WHO approval. Approval for vaccines in and across the EU are done by the EU, not the WHO & that’s the position with the Oxford vaccine, it’s the EU currently scrutinising it.
Their vaccine(s) contracts and dealings are now being looked into by the EU Ombudsman......
140 mil? Worth every penny not to have a WHO certified vaccine.

SLEEPY

Coronavirus
Consider the person who looks across the water to Westminster & says yes, thats where my childrens future should be decided,I trust the Mark Francois's, Andrew Bridgens, Nadine Dorries, Jacob Rees-Moggs, etc, to always make the right decisions for us, just think about that.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Coronavirus
Consider the person who looks across the water to Westminster & says yes, thats where my childrens future should be decided,I trust the Mark Francois's, Andrew Bridgens, Nadine Dorries, Jacob Rees-Moggs, etc, to always make the right decisions for us, just think about that.
When it comes to vaccines, I doubt if the afore mentioned have any say on the issue at all.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Coronavirus
140 mil? Worth every penny not to have a WHO certified vaccine.
I dare say in your neck of the woods you'd welcome these vaccines with open arms, never mind the WHO.
As said, it hasn't been the WHO validating these vaccines, its been Nations themselves. Even the Russian vaccine is going through the EUs EMA for use.

Camden

Coronavirus

Turkey to get a further 6.5 million Sinovac vaccines on Monday

Turkey to deploy Chinese COVID vaccine as Beijing aims for clout

Turkey, one of the worst-hit countries in the Middle East by the coronavirus, is rushing to deploy vaccines as quickly as possible, and the Chinese are eager to help.

For vaccines supplied by Chinese company Sinovac Biotech, Turkey, where daily new cases are hovering around 30,000, is planning to roll out inoculations as early as this month after local testing and confirming the upcoming phase III clinical trial results. The first 3 million doses of Sinovac vaccines out of a contracted 50 million are to be delivered in the coming days.

Chinese drug companies are early movers in the wider Middle East region. The situation provides an opportunity for China to project soft power and influence, in a key geographic region where the country has historically had limited clout compared to Western rivals.

Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said in a press conference earlier this month that so far the country has failed to procure more vaccines from Sinovac and added that he is pushing for more. He said Sinovac has a solid track record in producing inactivated vaccines, which Turkey prefers to use as a traditional method compared to the more recent technology of mRNA vaccines, which Pfizer and Moderna have developed.

Koca claimed that inactivated vaccines are "more natural and safer," adding that "Moderna is not giving vaccines outside the U.S.," although Japan and the European Union have already agreed to purchase them once they are ready.

Koca admitted that Turkey is struggling to buy Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines at the desired timeframe by April 2021, when the country hopes to roll out domestically developed vaccines. Turkey is also participating in Pfizer-BioNTech phase III clinical trials, but he said Pfizer-BioNTech is offering only 1 million doses at the early stage and 25 million doses by the end of 2021.

Turkey confirmed to stay in line with Beijing's policy regarding the Muslim separatist group in China -- according to the statement, Wang said, "It is the duty of all countries to strike a blow at the East Turkestan Islamic Movement," adding, "China is ready to deepen cooperation with Turkey regarding terrorism."

Jaycey

African Refugee
Coronavirus
I dare say in your neck of the woods you'd welcome these vaccines with open arms, never mind the WHO.
Back to my neck of the woods again?
As said, it hasn't been the WHO validating these vaccines, its been Nations themselves. Even the Russian vaccine is going through the EUs EMA for use.
As said indeed. WHO certification isn't mandatory but it certainly adds to credibility (in my neck of the woods :giggle:)
If I had the choice between a WHO certified vaccine and another certified by a third party (possibly for commercial reasons) it would be a no brainer.

Saoirse

Coronavirus

Turkey to get a further 6.5 million Sinovac vaccines on Monday

Turkey to deploy Chinese COVID vaccine as Beijing aims for clout

Turkey, one of the worst-hit countries in the Middle East by the coronavirus, is rushing to deploy vaccines as quickly as possible, and the Chinese are eager to help.

For vaccines supplied by Chinese company Sinovac Biotech, Turkey, where daily new cases are hovering around 30,000, is planning to roll out inoculations as early as this month after local testing and confirming the upcoming phase III clinical trial results. The first 3 million doses of Sinovac vaccines out of a contracted 50 million are to be delivered in the coming days.

Chinese drug companies are early movers in the wider Middle East region. The situation provides an opportunity for China to project soft power and influence, in a key geographic region where the country has historically had limited clout compared to Western rivals.

Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said in a press conference earlier this month that so far the country has failed to procure more vaccines from Sinovac and added that he is pushing for more. He said Sinovac has a solid track record in producing inactivated vaccines, which Turkey prefers to use as a traditional method compared to the more recent technology of mRNA vaccines, which Pfizer and Moderna have developed.

Koca claimed that inactivated vaccines are "more natural and safer," adding that "Moderna is not giving vaccines outside the U.S.," although Japan and the European Union have already agreed to purchase them once they are ready.

Koca admitted that Turkey is struggling to buy Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines at the desired timeframe by April 2021, when the country hopes to roll out domestically developed vaccines. Turkey is also participating in Pfizer-BioNTech phase III clinical trials, but he said Pfizer-BioNTech is offering only 1 million doses at the early stage and 25 million doses by the end of 2021.

Turkey confirmed to stay in line with Beijing's policy regarding the Muslim separatist group in China -- according to the statement, Wang said, "It is the duty of all countries to strike a blow at the East Turkestan Islamic Movement," adding, "China is ready to deepen cooperation with Turkey regarding terrorism."

Daily cases around 30 000???
Fake news
Turkey s daily totals are around 6000!

esb1841

Coronavirus

Daily cases around 30 000???
Fake news
Turkey s daily totals are around 6000!
Daily Figures for January 23rd 2021 are 5,856, however when the linked article was published in December 18th the numbers were 26,410 and one week earlier on December 8th 33.198
at the end of November Turkey changed its reporting method to include all positive cases, including asymptomatic ones
From March last year to end of November 2020
asymptomatic cases were not included in the number of daily reported cases.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Coronavirus
Back to my neck of the woods again?

As said indeed. WHO certification isn't mandatory but it certainly adds to credibility (in my neck of the woods :giggle:)
If I had the choice between a WHO certified vaccine and another certified by a third party (possibly for commercial reasons) it would be a no brainer.
So when do you get your vaccine(s) & which one(s)? Because from what I've read, Ukraine has asked Germany for help, not the WHO. My take on it is, the WHO are looking for vaccine donations & not manufacturing them.

ALL the vaccines are commercial to my knowledge, maybe you know different.
You may well end up with the Russian brand but.........beggars cant be choosers.

Saoirse

Coronavirus
Daily Figures for January 23rd 2021 are 5,856, however when the linked article was published in December 18th the numbers were 26,410 and one week earlier on December 8th 33.198
at the end of November Turkey changed its reporting method to include all positive cases, including asymptomatic ones
From March last year to end of November 2020
asymptomatic cases were not included in the number of daily reported cases.
So an out of date irrelevant article = fake news

Camden

Coronavirus
So an out of date irrelevant article = fake news

The article wasn't posted to highlight daily cases, though they were correct at the time ...there was more to the article and reasons to post it , like what was behind Turkey's choice of the Chinese vaccine over European. Also China's use of soft power to make inroads into the area . Plus Erdogan's hope to develop a home grown vaccine ... so neither irrelevant nor fake ...

Last edited:

Saoirse

Coronavirus
The article wasn't posted to highlight daily cases, though they were correct at the time ...but the reason behind Turkey's choice of the Chinese vaccine, and China's use of soft power to make inroads into the area ... so neither irrelevant nor fake ...
Lol
Yeah Camden and in other breaking news the Titanic has sunk and Hitler's invaded Poland!!

Saoirse

Coronavirus
Exactly Chips- its definitely not a 100% game changer
I think the most worrying aspect is it's still not known if getting the vaccination prevents you from passing the virus on

Latest Posts

Top Bottom