immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Copying Disc
I had a real scare yesterday; my power supply to my computer shorted and knocked off all the apartment supply. Repeated (stupid) the experiment a few times to make sure it was the problem. My computer guy eventually came and could not immediately recover the C Drive with everything of importance: shock horror of reality if this were true. Finally got everything back and replaced power supply.

But, my guy said if the C Drive was damaged he could recover files, but the programs, probably, were lost. Reinstalling lost programs could take weeks, if indeed I could find them. That in itself set me wondering if there is a way to take a complete copy, including files and progs? I do back up the computer a few times each year to a detachable drive, but I don´t think that is the same?

Advice please.

Ian

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Copying Disc
Most propriety burner software will run a full disc image onto a backup drive .

Steve

Maisie

Copying Disc
Once again - I am baffled by science. Is this something I should do?

What is this? Is it recommended and does it cover everything on the computer?

Maisie

bickern

Copying Disc
Last edited:

sgreat

Loveing Life !!
Copying Disc
Whilst Imaging software will make an identical copy of your master drive...It really requires you the user to keep it up to date on a regular basis.....Who does that?? Ghost was really developed to create a master install for your OS and preferred Apps...

The best and professional approach, is you have your Master Drive Mirrored in a raid configuration... Info here!!

As a business, I would of been proper buggered, if I hadn't done this a long time ago!!

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Copying Disc
This is all great advice, thank you so much. As they are free,and I am the worrying kind, I will use both Win10 and Macrium. To address sgreat´s point, the Macrium allows me to set automatic updating of the backup file.

Ian

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Copying Disc
Did a full image copy using Macrium Reflect. Needed a whole new set of permissions for some reason, but once my friendly expert had reset a few things, it was very simple. Under two hours, and very simple. Very reassuring to have it done.

Ian

bickern

Copying Disc
Not used myself but...

1 1/2 days left as freebie.

https://sharewareonsale.com/s/eassos-system-restore-giveaway-coupon-sale

Eassos System Restore is a feature-filled backup & restore software for your Windows computer. It backs up everything — operating system, personal data, installed applications, etc.

Backups can be password protected, to prevent unauthorized restore, and restoration can be done easily while inside Windows or from bootable recovery USB/DVD/CD, which allows you to restore your system even when Windows fails to boot.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom