Cooking for Dummies
Or you made your buns too big. Maybe the dough should of been divided into more buns which being smaller would of cooked through.

For your current batch, maybe a minute in the microwave would cook the middle & warm then nicely for eating

Jaycey

African Refugee
Cooking for Dummies
Oven probably too hot
Recipe says 175C

Or you made your buns too big.
Hardly, I'm the original matchstick man! :)
Maybe the dough should of been divided into more buns which being smaller would of cooked through.
They are about the right size. The original recipe was for 8, I halved proportion and made only 4.
For your current batch, maybe a minute in the microwave would cook the middle & warm then nicely for eating
Great idea, I'll give it a go.
I recommend a visit to the bakery Jaycey.
You're forgetting I'm in Ukraine! All our bakeries have here are only decorated sponge cakes :(

Mushroom

Cooking for Dummies
Like mushrooms?
But they'd still be weird shapes & doughy in the middle and the recipe says serve immediately.

..................................................... View attachment 25862
I haven't got any😃
BTW - I know you like the work of Dali instead of looking at cows in a field but that creation is more like a cow pat done in the style of Dali. I swear if I stare at it I can see a face !!

Cooking for Dummies
Don't give up. Try again another day or find another recipe.

In the UK we have hot cross buns, which were once only available around Easter. They are now on sale 365 days a year. I make my own from time to time, but they always turn out heavy compared to shop brought ones, but still taste great

Jaycey

African Refugee
Cooking for Dummies
Don't give up. Try again another day or find another recipe.

In the UK we have hot cross buns, which were once only available around Easter. They are now on sale 365 days a year. I make my own from time to time, but they always turn out heavy compared to shop brought ones, but still taste great
I've amended the original recipe taking all the above good advice to heart.
I will definitely try again but not today, I want to play around with a sea food mix.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Cooking for Dummies
I haven't got any😃
BTW - I know you like the work of Dali instead of looking at cows in a field but that creation is more like a cow pat done in the style of Dali. I swear if I stare at it I can see a face !!

Why would anyone want to stare at a cow pat ??

Jaycey

African Refugee
Cooking for Dummies
I'd say the oven is to hot no more than 180.
I cooked @ 175C for 30 minutes.
Next time 150C for 40 minutes - does that sound about right?
(I have a meat thermometer but no oven thermometer so the thermostat may be at fault)

enoch

Cooking for Dummies
I cooked @ 175C for 30 minutes.
Next time 150C for 40 minutes - does that sound about right?
(I have a meat thermometer but no oven thermometer so the thermostat may be at fault)
Make sure they rise enough after neading the second time before they go in the oven. I wouldn't turn the oven to low.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Cooking for Dummies
I sent you an email Jaycey try it.
Got it thanks will try but without the cross - will the baking gods strike me down?
Just worried about the cinnamon bit, never seen that here and not so fond of it.

But are they not still banned in the UK?...
"In 1592, Queen Elizabeth I decreed that hot cross buns could no longer be sold on any day except for Good Friday, Christmas or for burials. They were simply too special to be eaten any other day.

Last edited:
Cooking for Dummies
Wow, I couldn't live without cinnamon. I love it. Just drinking a cappuccino topped with cinnamon sugar & there is nothing better than a cinnamon bun or a Moroccan tagine with chicken, chickpeas, apricots & cinnamon, apple pie with cinnamon.

Maybe when you make your next batch of buns, just cook a single bun at a lower temperature to see if it is successful. All ovens are different. My fan oven is meant to provide an even temperature, but in reality anything in the back left hand corner of the tray comes out more browned, so I always have to spin my baking tray around towards the end of cooking to even up the cooking.

enoch

Cooking for Dummies
Wow, I couldn't live without cinnamon. I love it. Just drinking a cappuccino topped with cinnamon sugar & there is nothing better than a cinnamon bun or a Moroccan tagine with chicken, chickpeas, apricots & cinnamon, apple pie with cinnamon.

Maybe when you make your next batch of buns, just cook a single bun at a lower temperature to see if it is successful. All ovens are different. My fan oven is meant to provide an even temperature, but in reality anything in the back left hand corner of the tray comes out more browned, so I always have to spin my baking tray around towards the end of cooking to even up the cooking.
That's one thing we have found we bought a profile cooker they are looked on as cheap 16 years ago but not everyone knows bosch makes them or did but cooks even all around.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Cooking for Dummies
That's one thing we have found we bought a profile cooker they are looked on as cheap 16 years ago but not everyone knows bosch makes them or did but cooks even all around.
I think 'Profilo' products are made with German parts but assembled in Turkey, as opposed to Bosch and Siemens which are assembled by Turks in Germany!

MJL

Cooking for Dummies
So I love fajitas, but can’t find the salsa I like in Turkey. This recipe is sooooo easy, and can be put in a jar and keep for months if you sterilise them. Going to make a batch today as I’ve lots of tomatoes and onions that I need to use up! Any hot chilli can be used by the way, and remember the longer it sits in the jar the hotter it will get!

ive made it lots of times and will never go wrong!

thought I’d might add, I don’t use canning salt, just plain rock or sea salt and a bit of citric acid I de seed the tomatoes. And I just put the jars through the dishwasher then fill them up whilst the jars are still hot! No problems whatsoever

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom