Status
Not open for further replies.

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
converting your religion
as question i just asked lucky cat inspired me to make this thread. So since a lot of you have moved or plan to make permanent moves to Turkey. If you are single and meet a Turkish partner and later plan to marry, would you convert to their religion? how would you find doing this? or would the whole issue of religion result in both of you going your separate ways... i know being a Muslim that if you wish to marry a non Muslim, they must be converted to Islam in order to marry with them and have kids... just curious to see your opinions on this! thank you! x x x x x

M

Mack

converting your religion
Hi Z, Im a practising athiest and I married a Muslim Turkish woman, I know that some "strict" muslims may insist that we both be muslim but I fell in love with the person not her religion and she did me too (at least that what she says:)). Neither of us see why religion should get in the way of love and I cant understand those that do, its hard enough to find love let alone throwing these extra "rules" in!

I think the "modern" Turks are a lot more tolerant and in my experience amongst the younger generation (30somethings) the extreme religious rules are being relaxed in order to accept a more secular society and lifestyle, or maybe I just got lucky :)

zuberdust

converting your religion
Hi Z, Im a practising athiest and I married a Muslim Turkish woman, I know that some "strict" muslims may insist that we both be muslim but I fell in love with the person not her religion and she did me too (at least that what she says:)). Neither of us see why religion should get in the way of love and I cant understand those that do, its hard enough to find love let alone throwing these extra "rules" in!

I think the "modern" Turks are a lot more tolerant and in my experience amongst the younger generation (30somethings) the extreme religious rules are being relaxed in order to accept a more secular society and lifestyle, or maybe I just got lucky :)

well im glad u found your true love! hehehe good for you....
hmmm i wouldnt say its strict but a basic law which must be followed by a muslim, but i am not to judge another persons choice....

very interesting...

M

Mack

converting your religion
Thanks Z, I guess it all comes down to the individuals "interpretation" of the rules of their faith though huh? (I have a problem with the phrase "religious LAW" as LAWs arent usually open to interpretation they are clear).

Its a shame that with the proposed omnipotence of the writers (or whoever was dictating) of these rules they chose to make them so vague and open to "interpretation" but its nice they gave such a wide area of behaviour to roam around in and ensure infighting, or cross cultural and religious marriage :) ......Sorry, off topic, Ill get me coat...... :)

Last edited:

zuberdust

converting your religion
Thanks Z, I guess it all comes down to the individuals "interpretation" of the rules of their faith though huh? (I have a problem with the phrase "religious LAW" as LAWs arent usually open to interpretation they are clear).

Its a shame that with the proposed omnipotence of the writers (or whoever was dictating) of these rules they chose to make them so vague and open to "interpretation" but its nice they gave such a wide area of behaviour to roam around in and ensure infighting, or cross cultural and religious marriage :) ......Sorry, off topic, Ill get me coat...... :)

hehe
no i will not marry a non muslim! will cause too many problems! as i wud want my kids to be muslims too and follow islamic practices etc... boys= cut thier weenie etc... lol..... its my 'duty' as a muslim to bring more muslim into the world.... hard to explain when you are not one. im not sooooooooo strikt! im pretty laid bak but dont forget my do's and donts!
cheers

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
converting your religion
I like Mack also married a Turkish women. I am Catholic (baptised as a child) But I don't practise my religion. We married here in Ankara and it was not a problam. Apparently the Catholic church does not recognize us as married, that's their problem. I love my wife and baby, she loves me and we have a certificate showing we are married, that's all that matters.

Biker Bob

zuberdust

converting your religion
I like Mack also married a Turkish women. I am Catholic (baptised as a child) But I don't practise my religion. We married here in Ankara and it was not a problam. Apparently the Catholic church does not recognize us as married, that's their problem. I love my wife and baby, she loves me and we have a certificate showing we are married, that's all that matters.

Biker Bob

thats great! i kinda expected that. the women cant really persude a guy to adopt her religion... well my cousin did but oh well
i see that guys insist more to the women if they feel strong about it...

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
converting your religion
I think that if you find your real true love I wouldn't allow religion to dictate who I married. You anly live once and life is not a dress rehearsal. JMHO

Biker Bob

Carolyn

converting your religion
I don't think people tend to realise that Islam and Christianity have much common ground. Christians (and Jews) were recognised as "people of the book". Both religions share similar stories and many prophets are common to both, albeit with different names - i.e. Jesus/Isa, Abraham/Ibrahim.

There are also widely varying interpretations of Islam from the generally laid back, not taken too seriously versions most of us see in Western Turkey to the more extreme versions which many non Muslims hold up as "typical".

I know of several people who have converted to Islam, mainly women, but also one man who is married to an English non-Muslim who felt drawn to it.

converting your religion
this is quite a tricky one so is love! im religious and practising and would only marry of the same religion i can understand why someone who doesnt practice their religion can marry people of other religions or non religious but i think if its someone who is practising their religion then i think it would cause problems if they didn't change,notsaying they should though. My mams english and my dad from kashmir in the begining my dad wasn't religious but as time went on he became more religious but unfortunatley most of what my mum learnt about islam wasn't actually islam but mostly culture which is such a shame because when you look at marriage and love in islam its sooo different from the picture we now see across the world. One thing i strongly dont agree with is when someone born with a religion but not practising, meets someone settles down then expects them or forces them to change their religion:wink: just my opinion

Mushtaq

Founding Member
converting your religion
No I wouldnt convert. If that caused a problem and meant she couldnt marry me as a muslim then i would expect her to consider denouncing islam. If she loved me she would!

But if you loved her you would convert :)

converting your religion
I feel saddened that people cannot respect each other's religion. Basic rules of any religion is to love and respect your fellow man etc. Surely if you love someone and they are a good person then that is what matters, not which "book" they read from. Children should be brought up with the same love and understanding and be given knowledge of different religions and cultures. Then when they are old enough they can make their own choice.
I have friends from many religions, when we eat together I respect their cultural and religious needs. I am a practising catholic, but I don't consider that I am right. It is just right for me! Does that make sense....

Mushtaq

Founding Member
converting your religion
Marriage or partnership should be based on respect and love for each other, in my opinion religion should not get in the way.

If you respect the other person then part of that is respecting their beliefs even if its not same as yours, people need space and freedom to flourish.

leylaasena

converting your religion
as question i just asked lucky cat inspired me to make this thread. So since a lot of you have moved or plan to make permanent moves to Turkey. If you are single and meet a Turkish partner and later plan to marry, would you convert to their religion? how would you find doing this? or would the whole issue of religion result in both of you going your separate ways... i know being a Muslim that if you wish to marry a non Muslim, they must be converted to Islam in order to marry with them and have kids... just curious to see your opinions on this! thank you! x x x x x

Where about in your Qur'an does it say this ???????
Coz my one says whilst a Muslim should marry another Muslim ideally , as long as the kids are brought up as Muslim, there no prob for a Muslim MAN to marry a Christian or Jewish woman - Surah 5.5

I have converted, by the way, but not because of pressure from my husband or his family but by my own choice and about 18months after we married.

Last edited:

Lindacm

converting your religion
Where about in your Qur'an does it say this ???????
Coz my one says whilst a Muslim should marry another Muslim ideally , as long as the kids are brought up as Muslim, there no prob for a Muslim MAN to marry a Christian or Jewish woman - Surah 5.5

I have converted, by the way, but not because of pressure from my husband or his family but by my own choice and about 18months after we married.

Whilst this is true it identifies these people as believing in God Alone and associating no partners with God (idol worship). Many of today's Christians believe that Jesus is the son of God, this is totally against God's teachings in the Quran. This belief, according to the Quran is idol worship.

Quran 2.221 states that Muslim women are not to marry idolaters.

alison09400

converting your religion
Religion is, after all, only a belief ..... so shouldn't get in the way of 2 people loving eachother. My hubby is muslim, I was born presbyterian but have never practiced it since stopping going to sunday school at the age of 10. :D
For the past few years I've come to the realisation that I'm an agnostic which my hubby hates me telling people as it shows I've got no religion. Our children are being brought up muslim which is fine by me.
When we got married I had a lot of pressure from his relations about becoming a muslim and covering my hair but I wasn't having any of it.

carolk

R.I.P
converting your religion
No my uber cliquer!! Thats just my answer and doesnt need explaining! Lol. :hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom