Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
Contrasts
I find it really striking and deeply sad how in your face contrasting lifestyles can be here in Turkey

I know its probably the same in many countries but it is literally in your face where we are currently living

We are in the upmarket largely foreigners and well off Turks area of Fethiye known as Calis

The apartment we currently live in is on a sitesi about 50/50 yabancis and well to do locals

Stunning beautiful site with manicured grounds and large pool etc

Our place is right at the front so from one of the balconies I am less than 50m from the main road- and some bins

I am not exaggerating to say there is a non stop procession- have watched daily and roughly every 15 mins- of locals going through the bins and god love them some even eating food from them

There is a Migros facing the bins and they are constantly tipping out of date produce etc into the bins and it's just in the bin minutes at times when people scavenge

It really does put me in my place to even think about complaining about my lot in life when you see how those less fortunate have to survive

Last edited:

Ian2006

Contrasts
Philip - we were 500 yds up on the same road as the Harman Hotel (Mehmet Akif Ersoy Cad) for 6 years and regularly saw the same things. People generally leave “good stuff” (clothes, shoes etc) at the side of the bins. As you say some lovely properties around there which definitely highlights “the have’s and the have not’s” - we would occasionally put out old furniture or plastic sun chairs that had gone discoloured and they were gone within minutes. As you say - such a contrast.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Contrasts
I find it really striking and deeply sad how in your face contrasting lifestyles can be here in Turkey

I know its probably the same in many countries but it is literally in your face where we are currently living

We are in the upmarket largely foreigners and well off Turks area of Fethiye known as Calis

The apartment we currently live in is on a sitesi about 50/50 yabancis and well to do locals

Our place is right at the front so from one of the balconies I am less than 50m from the main road- and some bins

I am not exaggerating to say there is a non stop procession- have watched daily and roughly every 15 mins- of locals going through the bins and god love them some even eating food from them

There is a Migros facing the bins and they are constantly tipping out of date produce etc into the bins and it's just in the bin minutes at times when people scavenge

It really does put me in my place to even think about complaining about my lot in life when you see how those less fortunate have to survive
Well said Philip , saw the very same , daily when working on the streets ( ooh aah ) of London , shameful that so many were so living outside of a society that in the main despised them . I realised just how close we all are to an unfortunate change in circumstance , wrecking our often cosy lives .
Many a slip.
Steve

Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
Contrasts
With over 15 years of experience living here I have in the past noticed similar behavior but I would suggest not on the scale it is now

Eating food directly from bins which contain everything imaginable including human waste is an absolutely heartbreaking phenomenon

The Covid crisis closing the restaurants etc here has decimated locals income with most of them receiving absolutely nothing for weeks on end

It's easy and understandable for people to be opposed to moving forward with the touriism industry but there is another tragic side to needing responsible and safe reopening as soon as possible

enoch

Contrasts

I've seen that for 15 years Saoirse no change there then. I think you've lived a sheltered life.

Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
Contrasts
See post immediately above yours

I too have years of experience and I suggest its currently worse than ever due to Covid crisis

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Contrasts
I omitted that i worked the xtreets of London 88 to 96 , a sad reflection imho of Government , full stop .
Steve

Kanga

R.I.P
Contrasts
I saw the same scavenging in Datca in early mornings when we had a camp of Syrian refugees a few years ago.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Contrasts
It has been going on since I first came to Turkey in 1983. At that time, in Izmir it was done by horse and cart. I still see them round here on occasions. Hard, hot work in summer, very cold and miserable in winter.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom