Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Concern with Broadband Usage
Me again, and could well be regular in this section, rofl.

I got my broadband connection enabled 1st September, I have not used it that much due to the worry of my usage, 1GB since the 1st and that is only about 45mins on the net!!!!!

Obviously I am in contact with my provider but they do not reckon there is any cause for concern, I do, as I am on a 10GB per month limit, and no way can I see this is correct, I know dial up uses less bandwith, but my dial up usage for 3wks approx. 84hrs on the net was 1844MB. I did speak to someone on the phone today, who wanted to find out something from my task manager, but as that was screwed up I was unable to supply this (have now sorted that out, not totally thick lol). I now have to keep a record of the sites I visit, time spent and MB used on each site for the next few days and forward it to them.

The following is what I used earlier.

Pigsback 2 mins 9.68MB
Moneysaving Expert 5 mins 38.9MB
Fast4 2 mins 11.12MB
Plusnet 3 mins 21.01MB
Dystonia BB 2 mins 10.93MB
Rightmove 7 mins 27.46MB
Turkish Living 26 mins 108.89MB
Outlook e'mail 1 min 4.0MB
MSN e'mail 2 mins 5.0MB
Total 237.53MB on my bandwidth meter

(on dial up that would have taken me at least 2hrs to view, but a damn sight less bandwidth).

Please do anyone know if there is anything I can check, as no way can I use this, and will have to stay on dial up, but still pay for the 18month broadband contract. I am typing this late as thankfully, usage between midnight and 8am doesn't count towards the allowance.

I was really looking forward to broadband, but it is causing me a lot of worry and stress.

Diane

Last edited:

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Hi Martyn,
Thanks for the reply, just quickly looking at this at the moment, as my ISP dial up is down, so am on the broadband.

Please can you explain what Tautology bandwidth meter will tell me, not familiar with this at all, and would I still run my ShaPlus Bandwidth meter.

I assumed 10GB would be more than enough, but using 1GB in a few days, (approx. 45mins.) with 31 days in a month, surely this is going to equate to more than 10GB, or am I confusing myself, which isn't hard, lol.

Been on the net this morning for 20mins and usage is 650MB.

I appreciate your help, thank you. Diane

Martyn

Hi Diane, it does seem a lot of usage for the period you say. Are you on wireless and are you sure no one else is using it if you are? I have already remoted in to one member on the forum and found someone else using their internet. It is possible to not only secure your wireless network with a password but also to put only your mac address on there so no one else can use it. The person whose router was being used by someone else was totally unaware and i remoted in and kicked them off but they kept reconnecting even while I was on there. We eventually limited it to the one mac address and 'banned' him. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Tess

Hope you get sorted Diane, and I am sorry to stray away from your problem, but Martyn, I am truly in awe of guys or gals like you, I would truly love to understand all the techno stuff you mention there, wow !!!

Martyn

Hi Sharon

It's a bit like an apartment you don't know who has a key to it. It's best to change the lock after you take it over. The same applies when someone installs your wireless router they will put a encrypted key into it(or leave it open) but there is nothing to stop them giving that key to someone nearby even a cafe and they could tap into your wireless and use your bandwidth. They could also be downloading illegal stuff via your network and it could be traced back to your router if they want to.

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Hi Martyn, thanks again for replying. No I am on a wired connection, contemplated wireless, but thought that would twist me in circles, lol. Will send the Rep: my connections logs on Mon. or Tues. and go from there. It just doesn't seem right to me. Diane

Martyn

Hi Diane. You may be on a wired connection but has your router got wireless? If not you are ok but if it has a wireless facility it still may be switched on. I was going to say go with wired if running the wire is no problem, it's more secure and stable.

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Hi Martyn, how can I check if my wired router has got wireless? (when you sign up with them you have a choice or wired or wireless, I chose wired).

Now something strange has happened. Last night I was on the net for 5mins longer than Fri. night, spent exactly the same time on TLF, TLF usage last night 25.21MB compared to Fri. 108.89! Total usage last night 85.81MB which is a lot less than Fri.

Now either something has been corrected their end, or I may have found a problem yesterday, I ran Spybot and got 3 entries fixed, would this have caused the high bandwidth? If so, is there anyway I can stop this happening, or is it a case of regularly running Spybot, if so how often should I run Spybot?

Martyn, many many thanks for your help and advice, it is greatly appreciated.
Diane

Martyn

Hi Diane

Even though you are setup with wired it may also be a wireless router. Post the make and model number and I'll have a look. Everyone should be running anti virus and anti spyware on their pcs. In the days of dialups there used to be spyware and the like that would dial out and incur you costs. Certainly do a scan overnight with anti virus and anti spyware.

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Hi Martyn,

Router is Thomson ST516 v6, I have Avast and Zone Alarm. Please can you recommend an Anti spyware programme.

Usage is a lot more stable now, this morning 55mins on net 26.48MB, I might be able to put the tranquilisers away soon, rofl.

Thanks, Diane.

Martyn

Looks like it is wired only as far as I can make out Diane so you are alright as far as others using the router.

As far as anti virus and spyware, they should be all right as long as they have been kept up to date. Alternatively AVG do a good free one at

AVG Free - Download installation files & documentation

26 meg for an hour or so should be ok, never had a need to measure usage but a lot of sites contain a lot of heavy graphics so maybe that is about par. That equates to around 350 hours per month usage about 10 hours per day, so at that rate you are fine with your 10gb.

Just one thought Diane, has anyone else got use of your pc? If so they may be downloading music, films etc?

Last edited:

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Hi Martyn,

No one but me uses this computer. It has certainly stabilised, now when I am reading a thread or e'mails, no usage is recording, whereas before and even when I had all windows closed it was going like the clappers. I am sending the Rep: my report tonight, see if he comes up with anything.

I am very happy with Avast, and it updates daily, zone alarm notifies me with updates which I do immediately.

Thanks
Diane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom