jewel

Compulsions,comforts or habits !!!
My Husband and Daughter both suffer from O.C.D (Obsessive Compulsive disorder) although in totallt different forms...

My Husband for example has it in the form of cleaning and everything being in the right order.

My Daughter however has a counting compulsion...for example if she is talking to you she may be counting the pattern on the wallpaper eg..how many flowers or whatever on the paper or she may see a red car and something in her head says she has to count 550 of them (Weird I know ) but her compulsion stemmed from a time aged 10 when she was hospitalised after a brain haemorhage,every morning she awoke in hospital she would count the polystyrene tiles on the ceiling. Our GP told me that O.C.D isn't as rare as thought and most people do or have some form of compulsion or habit that they do.

This led me to think hard to see if I had any and then realised that yes I did, I have a weird compulsion to the sound of rain,I love it and gain great comfort from the sound of it splashing on the windows and when I was younger would walk miles with the rain splashing on my face.I now have a park home in UK for when we spend a few weeks here and the sound of rain on the roof is intensified its wonderfull,but drives my Husband mad.

Think about it what compulsion,comfort or habit have you got and do you know when it started.I can remember being very young maybe 10 or so and my Mum and Dad used to really argue,I can remember pulling my bed to the bedroom window and slightly opening it and letting the rain bounce onto my face,the noise and sensation of the rain seemed to divert my attention from the shouting and I gained comfort from this, even now if I am upset or worried and its raining I will get in the car and drive somewhere quiet and just sit listening to the rain.I swear it makes me feel better although I know its in my head. jewel x

hijo

in my own clique
..mines might sound a bit silly,when i make a cup of tea,i take the tea bag out, put in the milk ..and i (have) to put some more hot water in, i only do it to my cup..even if i make 6 cups ..if i sit down with my tea ,i think did i put the hot water in,then i have the urge to go and do it..very strange:95im:

jewel

I did'nt know my daughter had it untill she was about 14-15 and she had been become very withdrawn and moody I put it down to her age.but whilst we were in the Dr's she broke down and told the Dr and said she was exausted with it.The Dr to her 'Leanne do you feel that if you dont count something bad will happen' and she said yes, he asked if she knew when the compulsion started and she said when she was in hospital she overheard one of the Dr's say to the nurse that the next 72 hours are crucial this terrified her so each morning when she woke she knew that if she could count the polystyrene tiles on the ceiling she was OK, so subconiously counting was her comfort.He explained in times of stress the compulsion is worse.

When I have asked my Husband why he has to do various things he says untill he does them he can never relax or go to sleep,and he has to do them.It used to do my head in but after 33 years I am used to it now. jewel x

Gin&Tonic

I have a compulsion for things being in straight lines. I hadnt realised I did it, friends at work had noticed that I was always straightening up papers on my desk and my pens would always be facing the same way.

arrian

R.I.P
i have to lay on my left side when i go to bed, then 5 minutes later, i turn over onto my right side. i.ve tried doing the opposite, but can't go to sleep then. so i have to go start over again, then i go to sleep. don't know when orwhy this started, but only realised it recently, even tho i've been doing it for a long time!

Hi Jewel,im like you with the rain..i love to hear it spattering on anything.. umbrella hood windows ..anywhere it soothes me too...my grandmother was the same..but she only ever went out when it was raining..it was a joke in the family for years..but looking back im a bit the same..ifit rains i have to walk in it. (funny thing is though i cant stand the sound of a tap dripping now why is that ? arent we a funny lot)

jewel

Shirleyanntr,the dripping tap is more of a torture !!!! you mentioned your Grandmother was the same as you and our GP says it can run in families. jewel x

leylaasena

When I first moved out here I didn't work for two and a half years and I started to notice myself doing strange things.
I had to put blue pegs on blue socks or pink pegs on pink t-shirts !!!! I'd have to root around in the peg bag to find the right colour peg.

Once I realised what I was doing I put it down to my brain not having enough to think about and made a point of closing my eyes and picking out a peg and pegging the item up before I let myself look at the colour !!!!
And not letting myself change it if it was the 'wrong' colour !!!

I dropped a lot of socks but I broke the habit before it took hold.

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
i have just got to walk in untouched snow. It's a laugh in my house as well cos i have to go out in it.
I won't go for a walk in the summer, but i will in the snow.
Sadly, we don't get much of it now. Maybe i'll :49: and he can fix it for me

Jeannie :224xb:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
When I worked full time I was always wanting to be doing my housework, chores, and everything had to be just in place. Now, I have learnt to relax a lot more, and maybe it's because I have the time to do it and take more time in doing it, it always still gets done, but I'm not as regimented as I used to be, and that's a good thing. Habit or Compulsion, I'm glad that it's easier for me now.

I'm feeling very comfortable right now, the rain is lashing on the window pane, I'm enjoying browsing around the forum, nice glass of red in my hand and just polished off another dark chocolate Mars Bar. Oh joy.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
I am certain the our Sunny Seasider is TLF's very own " Belle de Nuit ". Such depravity, and the offhand insouciant manner in which she flaunts her predilections confirm it to me.

Steve the saddo.

Tess

I am a bit compulsive about checking things ie if we are going on hols etc. I have to make the arrangements (don't trust anyone else) I have to have all the documents in my possession, checked checked and double checked, confirm transfers at least 2 times, I want everyone's passport (which I check and double check) I work myself into a frenzy of scenarios played out in my mind usually weeks beforehand, end up on the flight exhausted. Everything everyone is taking I check it, my word it is like a military operation. Then there is the house cleaning before we go, that's another story (pity I wasn't so consistent all year) hence no need for the frenzy. Heading to the airport the documents are out at least twice. Then I worry about the luggage weight Grrrrr!!! Would love to ring some morning, get a mega cheap flight, throw few things in a bag, heyho off we go. I won't though!!!

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
suppose going to the pub each night is ocd as well ?

martin

pembelu

last nights TNT (turkey) movie 'snow cake' was a rather interesting movie when talking about rituals and personal habits. My view is we are all a little autistic is some way...some more than others....i wasnt convinced by the acting in the movie but the actions some will relate to...

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
I am certain the our Sunny Seasider is TLF's very own " Belle de Nuit ". Such depravity, and the offhand insouciant manner in which she flaunts her predilections confirm it to me.

Steve the saddo.

Yea that's about right, (you do mean that beautiful flower don't you Steve?),

:hmm: carefree, like a butterfly that's been released from the silky larva that flits amongst the flowers, to do with her life as she wishes, well within reason, lol. Ah well back to the scrubbing of me floors, my reward will be waiting for me later.

:angel:

Last edited:

jewel

Going back to habits etc, the last thing my Hubby does before he gets in bed is ........ comb his hair !!!! this is automatic and not a concious action and its one of his many OCD traits that serves no purpose. jewel x

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Going back to habits etc, the last thing my Hubby does before he gets in bed is ........ comb his hair !!!! this is automatic and not a concious action and its one of his many OCD traits that serves no purpose. jewel x

Which patch ???...

Steve.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom