Erbilgary

Compensation for late Completion of Villa
I was wondering if any other members have been compensated for the late delivery of property.

My villa was due to be completed on 30th April 2006. My parents flew out on 14th May to take delivery only to be told that our villa will not be completed till the end of June/Start of July. The estate agent has told us that we will get compensation from the builder.

The knock on effect is that we have now lost the person wishing to rent our property and he was wanting to rent it for 4 years.

Have any members been compensated for a similar circumstances and how much were they compensated? The most infuriating thing is that it took another £1000 trip to find out this information. and the loss of a good tenant is frustrating. There has been a severe lack of communication from our estate agent in all of the process.

Thank you in anticipation.

Gary

margaret

Our property was only late by a few weeks so it was not too much of a problem but when we asked the agent what compensation we would get there was no answer. To be fair to the agent we were warned before we booked our flights. You have to check the wording because we were told that if the property was "fit for residency" we could not claim even though in our case the windows and doors were not secure!

Hi
i believe it depends on your contract and the wording ours went over by 2 weeks this i believe is time allowed to the builder anyway .I dont think many estate agents like to upset the builders by asking for the penalty payment for late delivery of keys etc but i am sure you will get plenty of opinions from other members.

Kofteman

Hı,
Although I like to err on the optomistic side of things, I rather think that in this case you are going to have great difficulty getting a solid cash payment as compo, and a hard fight will be on the cards, probably taking years and a lot of money on the way, however I do wish you well.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
What does your contract say? The contract is everything in this.

Is the contract in Turkish (and translated into English)? If not in Turkish it is worthless as a legal document?

Ian

JohnF

The levels and timescales of compensation should have been agreed at the contract stage, from both perspectives, i.e. progress of building work and when payments should be made.

If it is in the contract then the builder/developer must make any compensation payments agreed and if he doesn't you simply take him to court.

If it is not in the contract, you will be extremely fortunate to get anything at all.

JF

ha ha ha compensation fron Turkey!
you have more chance of buying a packet of condoms from the pope!

JohnF

It's not unknown; I know personally one instance where the penalty clause in an off plan purchase contract was enforced and the builder grudgingly stumped up. Admittedly, this was a reputable and long established company which only reinforces the advice given in other parts of this forum in respect of being careful about who you deal with.

Would you like directions or simply the postal address for the Vatican City Bryan?

JF

Pauline Wright

Hi there we had written into our contract 100 euros per week for delays but they got around it by saying that did not include the completion of the pool but it still amounted to 1600 euros but we negotiated extras ie: a fully paved drive instead of gravel /wrought iron gates / BBQ so we felt a bit better for that They would rather do this than pay back cash. It was the same when shopping for furniture they will give you a gift but will not reduce the prices

I have it written in my contract (in English and Turkish) that if my villa was not completed by 1st April, I could claim £1000 per month compensation. But to be honest, if I take that route it will end up going to court, costing me more money and the builder would probably end up knocking my house down!! I think your best route is like Pauline has done, negotiate extras....that's what I'm trying to do anyway. Good luck.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom