ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Commercial Fishing
I was surprised to learn that despite Turkey's substantial coastline, fishing is not an important contributor to the economy (only 0.4% of gross domestic product -2004 figures)

Fishing is concentrated in the Black Sea area, which accounts for over 70% of fish caught, with just 4% and 2% in the Med and Aegean respectively.

Another surprising fact is that (according to 2002 statististics), Turkey has no ship capable of ocean fishing, so it would appear to be a relatively underdeveloped industry in the country.

Over 60% of the catch in Turkey is anchovies and is therefore the most popular and common fish consumed by Turks. Further processing of anchovies (salting, marinating, canning etc), has led to many jobs for locals particularly in the Black Sea area.

Other popular sea fish are sardines, bream, bass, red mullet, turbot, sword fish, whiting, white grouper, hake, chup mackerel, and red pandora.

That is the sal****er fishing industry which accounts for about 3/4 of the catch. The remainder is accounted for by the inland fishery 'industry'.

Due to the rich freshwater resources that consist of 175 km of rivers, 1 million hectacres of natural lakes, 170 thousand ha of reservoirs, 70 thousand ha of lagoons and 700 small reservoirs, inland fishery has always had a large production potential with respect to variety.

Nearly half the fish caught here are grey mullet, closely followed by carp, then catfish and crayfish.

The main production area for inland fisheries is Lake Van.

I was really taken aback a couple of years ago when I bought some bream and sea bass - the price was really high, far more than at home - for some reason thought that fish should've been really cheap in Turkey.

Sources: Eurofish - Country profile - The fishery sector in Turkey ; Anzenberger Agency - Fish Industry in Turkey ; http://memory.loc.gov/frd/cs/profiles/Turkey.pdf

C

I've just noticed that the letters t, w, a, & t are 'censored' in the word I have highlighted in red. Seems a bit daft that as although the letters together spell a rude word, the word used is 'innocent'. Get the boffins on the ball Mushtaq :biggrin1:

Commercial Fishing
I've just noticed that the letters t, w, a, & t are 'censored' in the word I have highlighted in red. Seems a bit daft that as although the letters together spell a rude word, the word used is 'innocent'. Get the boffins on the ball Mushtaq :biggrin1:

Legend has it this sort of problem plauged S****horpe City Council for years.

Edit - and still does according to the stars added when I posted!

Last edited:

gren

Commercial Fishing
What a bunch of ****s...
****s, ****s, ****s...all of em....****s!

****s!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom