Question for you

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Comments from Selçuk residents
Anybody a relatively long term resident of Selçuk? We have visited and stayed overnight. What is it like to live there? We are ex-pat me, the missus is Turkish.
I notice that rental apartments and houses are nearly nonexistent but many places are for sale. Any comments as to why?
Your comments about living in Selçuk would be appreciated.

B&B

I have a place in Kusadasi but I spend a lot of my time in Selcuk. I like the vibe. Nice relaxed cafes. Old men playing cards all over the place. Place is dripping with history. My habit is to eat at the fish market and after a stroll take tea in the old railway station garden cafe. Lost in my own world under the dappled light of the mature trees. Tourists can pay 65 for a haircut with locals paying 25-30. So they have lots of tourists on buses doing the Castle, ruins & museum. I have been looking to relocate 1/2 way between Kus & Selcuk to get the best of both worlds. Turkish friends say they would prefer Selcuk to live. I broke the local bank there one day looking for FX o_O. Good modern train service to airport & Izmir. Try rent for a few months.

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
I have a place in Kusadasi but I spend a lot of my time in Selcuk. I like the vibe. Nice relaxed cafes. Old men playing cards all over the place. Place is dripping with history. My habit is to eat at the fish market and after a stroll take tea in the old railway station garden cafe. Lost in my own world under the dappled light of the mature trees. Tourists can pay 65 for a haircut with locals paying 25-30. So they have lots of tourists on buses doing the Castle, ruins & museum. I have been looking to relocate 1/2 way between Kus & Selcuk to get the best of both worlds. Turkish friends say they would prefer Selcuk to live. I broke the local bank there one day looking for FX o_O. Good modern train service to airport & Izmir. Try rent for a few months.
Thank you. How do you compare the lifestyle between Kuşadaşı and Selçuk?
For example; cost of living, expat population, housing quality, crowding during tourist season, etc.
When we lived in Kaş the influx of "Istanbulular" became insufferable from June till October, because they almost all drove and parked wherever they felt like such as sidewalks and double on the streets, etc.
To where would you like to relocate between the two cities?

B&B

Selcuk is more relaxed. Kus is hungry with many young men coming to make their fortune off the tourists. Its great fun for 2 weeks of holiday madness. However if you are resident it can loose its attraction. Kus has become more of a working town over the recent years with a lot building. The older holiday villas are lethal in winter with no heating or insulation. New builds may have better standards but prices are going up up. How is the health? Kus has steep hills. Do you need to future proof for life. Selcuk is mostly flat with nice walks in particular the one out past the little aiport -a very long mulberry tree lined promenade (lots of wedding photos taken there). Kus always has something going on. There is an expat support office there that can help you with any problems you have. There is also a good hospital network both public & private. I like the idea of driving in & driving out. Maybe rent in Kus for a while and take time to explore surrounding towns at relaxed pace.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom