Who filled up their car today?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

merlin

Come on then, be honest... Who panicked and filled up with fuel today?
With prices hitting a pound a litre, protesters have given the Government until today to meet and discuss their concerns or face fuel blockades.

fuel3ln.jpg

Petrol stations are calling for drivers to avoid filling up their cars unnecessarily as some garages warn they could run dry.

puma

exactly i filled up on thursday at my local petrol station, which should last me about a week . when i went past today at 10am it was closed, but i was dropping my grandson off at 6.30 there was a tanker and when i was on my way back there was a queue of 1/4mile long (nuts) i live not far from the oil refinery which will be picketed wendesday by the farmers etc

Jenny

I filled up yesterday as i only had 1/4 tank of petrol left, not becasue without it i cant get to work but because I want to go to the trafford centre on saturday!

Jenny.x.

jeanne

I meant to fill up on Monday as I usually do, when I got to the petrol station I realised I didn't have my cards with me :kafa: So only put a tenna in. I now can't near a petrol pump without queuing. Which I refuse to do, out of prinicpal. :27:

I am quite lucky in the fact I can work from home, so as long I've enough to get me to the airport a week Saturday - I am not panic buying.

merlin

Some of the comments posted on the BBC.... whats your view?

BBC.co.uk said:
Get used to fuel being expensive - it's a limited resource and prices will only get higher! Petrol prices should be higher not lower than they are - to discourage people from polluting the planet.
RB, Oxford, UK

I usually cycle to work and don't use the car much. However, this coming weekend I need to make a long trip so have had to make sure that I have a full tank and some cans just in case. I can't understand the logic of the fuel protesters - what justification do they have for stopping ordinary people like myself getting on with their lives? There are lots of things about life in this country that annoy me, but I don't decide to go and block a farm entrance or haulage depot every time I am cross about something.
Peter, Cambridge

How about the oil consuming nations make an effort to reduce the consumption? Adopt policies that encourage the use of public transportation. How about free parking for commuters near subway stations as a start?
Ajish Thamarathu Pothen, New York, USA

The facts are the vast majority of the price you pay is fuel tax and VAT. Gordon Brown seems to imagine that everyone has huge disposable incomes like his and they can put up with higher prices. The fact is people will have to make economies elsewhere to make up these price rises which will hit retails sales, food etc, in fact all areas of the economy. By choosing to blame 'outsiders' without recognising the part the government plays in high fuel prices Mr Brown yet again shows his contempt for the ordinary people.
Chris Bowser, High Wycombe, UK

I support the protestors 100%. For journeys less than a mile or so I walk and for local journeys I use the bus (living in London I have that luxury available). What cannot be disputed is that people have a right to move about and, outside of major cities, public transport is so infrequent as to be laughable. Until alternatives are available (electric, LPG widely available etc) people will need to use petrol and diesel. Taxing these commodities into oblivion without providing an alternative is tantamount to denial of the right to freedom of movement.
Jonny, England

I ran out of petrol today. Due to the stupid panic buying going on, most garages have run out of petrol 2 days ago and due to the restrictions that have been placed on people I was not allowed to fill up a legal container. I had to argue with the garage for 5 minutes until I was eventually allowed to take £4 worth of petrol. I was not trying to build up a stock, just simply to get my car to the nearest garage. The country has gone mad.
Chris, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire

I just rode home from work on my motorcycle. The roads are like an oil slick. Why? Because people keep insisting on filling their tanks to the absolute limit... and then it spills out as they go around corners.
John, Southampton, UK

I believe in the right to take action in support of a cause but where were these fuel protestors when the trade unionists were seeking to save public transport from privatisation and to retain investment in the production of rolling stock in places like York?
Keith Stokeld, Durham

What is bizarre is the extent to which the car has moved from being perceived as a luxury to a necessity. I don't doubt that if you live in the countryside you have to rely on your own transport - it was almost ever thus and is the price to be paid for living in the country. For everybody else, perhaps if people started to think about attempting every journey under 3 miles by foot, bike or public transport then you would have the opportunity to cut your fuel bill, get healthier and improve your local environment.
Julian Titmuss, Fareham, UK

I had hoped that the possibility of a petrol strike may have lead to the parents making their children walk to school, rather than clogging up the roads with their MPVs. No such luck. The roads were as busy as they always are during the school terms.
Claire Wooton, Oxford, UK

Why is government taxation being criticised when it is the oil companies that are increasing prices? Taxes are collected for a good reason. Obscene oil company profits only benefit a few greedy people, who will be laughing now everyone is buying as much petrol as they can carry. Want to change things? Stop buying petrol. Watch the price come down. Stop complaining about paying taxes and tell the government to hurry up and spend the money on alternative transport.
JW, Cambridge, UK

All those people who are asking the oil companies to drop their profits - I didn't hear any of you offering help when prices dropped to below $10/barrel in the late 1990's and thousands of my colleagues were losing their jobs - you can't have it both ways!
Doug McCrae, Aberdeen and Ankara, Turkey

fueldutycut4mq.png

Last edited:

canim

Very strange on the roads this morning, traffic seemed to be twice as heavy as usual? :crazy:

On my journey to work (50 miles along the A14) i pass about 7 petrol stations, 3 of them had queues onto the A14, the others had only 1 or 2 pumps open .. yet no queues???

On one of the news channels this morning they were talking about people topping up petrol, spending just a few pounds?? ... its crazy!

Last edited by a moderator:

ORPINS

I work in a Petrol Station, panick buying started last wednesday as the days went on it got worse had a delivery sunday 12noon was gone by monday 4:30pm. Had another delivery tuesday 8:30am was gone by Tuesday 7pm. I was working yesturday from 3pm and I didn't stop until we run out, havn't got another delivery now until Thursday.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom