immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Codebreaker Alan Turing gets an apology
I get sick to death of countries being asked to apologise for historical mistakes. I am even more irritated by politicians, with a cynical eye on the next election, giving those apologies on behalf of the nation.

Acknowledging a wrongdoing does not require apologies of this type.

Ian

Martyn

I agree, where do we stop. We all, as nations, have misdemeanours in the past.

İ think the man..even though long dead..deserves an apology..his treatment was barbaric.
an apology wont bring him back nor erase the suffering he went through but it will help many other men who at that time and before and since lived in fear of having their sexuality exposed.
the fact that this man was also a brilliant scientist should not be the rationalisation behind the apology, his status as a man should come first.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Well, Shirley, there you have it. We are not seeing an apology to all the gays in the past who have suffered because of government policies and persecution using bogus laws and edicts. We are seeing an apology to one famous person where there seems to be some political bonus for this Nu-Labour crew to jump on a bandwagon.

Apologies for things that happened 60 years ago are pointless. I will be more impressed by current attitudes making sure it does not happen to the living.

But while we are on this, I don´t hear many apologies from Denmark for the rape and pillaging - and what about those damn Romans with all that road building - apologies please.

Ian

jimskem

To describe this man as a genius would be a massive understatement.
His major contribution to cracking the German Enigma Code saved countless
number of lives during the war.
There is a house in Wilmslow, Cheshire, where he ALLEGEDLY took his own life,
a blue plaque has been installed in memory of him.
I believe his ashes were scattered in the gardens of Woking Crematorium.
Maybe instead of a feeble apology many years down the line, a Memorial should be
erected to him.

Harem

I've cliqued
No matter what is done or said now it will not bring the man back and neither will it ease what he suffered.

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
What a terrible waste of such a brilliant mind. Thank goodness we now live in much more enlightened times.

I'm still not sure why it is felt necessary for a public apology for someone who is now dead though. What is to be gained? He broke the law (as it was then) and whether we now think that law was a bad one, it was the one in place at the time.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom