Akasya

Postless Pointer
Closing Threads
I refer to Martyn closing the thread today re Baby P's killers.

Martyn closed it because it had gone somewhat off topic, but was still being used to refer to killers generally.

I loooked at the Padded Room and read this header :

" Place to let off steam, scream and shout without hurting yourself :) Discussions in this room can get heated and the language can get colourful, if you have sensitive disposition please do not enter. This section is available to members only. "

The thread was progressing without any difficulties, no one had posted and complained that it was wandering slightly, i feel it was a mistake to close it.

Please Martyn, do not take this as personal criticism, or as a slight on forum Moderators.

Surely within the constaints of the " Padded Room " more latitude could have been applied.

Thanks, Steve.

Last edited:

parrot

Closing Threads
I refer to Martyn closing the thread today re Baby P's killers.

Martyn closed it because it had gone somewhat off topic, but was still being used to refer to killers generally.

I loooked at the Padded Room and read this header :

" Place to let off steam, scream and shout without hurting yourself :) Discussions in this room can get heated and the language can get colourful, if you have sensitive disposition please do not enter. This section is available to members only. "

The thread was progressing without any difficulties, no one had posted and complained that it was wandering slightly, i feel it was a mistake to close it.

Please Martyn, do not take this as personal criticism, or as a slight on forum Moderators.

Surely within the constaints of the " Padded Room " more latitude could have been applied.

Thanks, Steve.
There have been a few threads which have had a similar fate,one which in my opinion wasn't going the way the mod had hoped for and was closed as the subject had been well aired many times.So what,there are many threads which come into this category.

hijo

in my own clique
Closing Threads
so the forum now has closed the thread on screaming children ..because someone dosnt agree so now we are back were we started...when does the banning start what happened to freedom of speach......:362jf:

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Closing Threads
The thread was getting personal and before it got any worse it was closed. Usually once the threads go over a certain point it's just down hill after that.

juco

Closing Threads
There many reasons why posts are locked and in many cases not too obvious to the casual observer, there can also be legal implications which must be taken into account.

I really cant see a moderator closing a thread because he doesnt like your name so there must be a reason, so why dont we just accept it instead of demanding (maybe a bit strong) reasons as to why it was closed.

hijo

in my own clique
Closing Threads
..sounds fair to me juco ..BUT,asking for a reason to why a thread is closed ..will never happen,"do not question the mods".i only see thread closing going in full circle from the problems here a few months ago..members will be banned and moderators will leave..IMHO

juco

Closing Threads
I know where you are coming from hijo, the problem is the mods then end up giving reasons why they closed a thread and that usually progresses to a debate as to whether it was justified or not and they can end up spending their time trying to defend a decision instead of spending that time moderating.

Many forums have it that the mods decision is final and non debatable merely to make life easier all round. I agree it is annoying when one of my threads gets locked but so be it, somebody somewhere had a good reason for doing so.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Closing Threads
Juco, i agree this board is modded with a light touch, courtesy, and a wry touch of humour on occasion which is very refreshing.

Thanks to all.

Steve.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom