Saoirse

Closer to home
As ( hopefully) next season travel restrictions largely scale back I got to thinking of places I would love to visit which are much closer to home in Ireland than the far flung sunny spots

It's strange sometimes you dont see the wood for the trees when deciding on destinations and some places almost on your doorstep are missed out

My top 3 closer to home places I have never been on my travel bucket list are-

Cornwall
IOM
Channel Islands

Anyone else planning for post pandemic near- cations?

Hilsjw

Closer to home
Babbacombe and Torquay. Both cheapo coach holidays of 4 days each. The Torquay hotel has an indoor pool - yipee !!!

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Closer to home
Cornwall I loved as a kid, great beaches, ice cream and crap cider, I have family living down there so any visits tend to be to see them, driving and parking down there is a nightmare in the season.

Isle of Man, my older sister lives there as do her children, not my bag really as only visited once, some really nice places and of course the Gluepot. It was a fave of my mums family going back, got loads of really old Black and White photos of the place

Channel Islands might be a goer for me, have a cousin living on Guernsey, I've never been.

The High Peak is great for a touring holiday, so much to see but no beaches apart from Dove Holes which is known as Morcambe without sand, its dust from the local quarries.

Scotland has pretty much everything in terms of scenery, history beaches and even cheesy chips ffs !, so we will carry on exploring up here

SLEEPY

Closer to home
Not near to home,but Mrs Sleepy has me tortured every year to take her to a German Christmas Market.Whilst she enjoys Christmas in a small Irish town she wants to do some pre holiday shopping.
Considering all the pandemic malarkey I have relented and booked us a trip to the Cologne market in late November.
And by ABSOLUTE pure chance Celtic are in the next town when we are there to play Luverkusen in the Europa League.
What are the chances ?and I still haven't broken the good news !

Saoirse

Closer to home
Big girl and her mum for donkeys years went to the Xmas markets in Germany with Ulsterbus Tours.

I was to find German hotels can be strict....

I rang from Belfast to speak to Jacqui on evening

In perfect English the receptionist who answered the phone lectured me- " Guests are having dinner. This is not an appropriate time to call!"

And hung up!!!

dearsley

Closer to home
If holidaying in England I can highly recommend Northumberland, Durham and North Yorkshire where I worked in the early part of my career. I lived for three years in Barnard Castle, which, before Cummings blundered into it, was a largely unknown jewel. It would be a good base to check out North Yorkshire towns and villages like Reeth, Malham, Whitby, Whernside and many more. Further North in Northumberland you have Alnwick and the Farne Islands among many interesting destinations.

Mushroom

Top Poster Of Month
Closer to home
For us the Yorkshire dales start about an hour up the road and are more used for a day tripout. Likewise the East Coast. To go further afield, we prefer Northumberland and our recent jaunt to the West of the Lake District to the Wast water area was superb with good weather.
Cornwall was great with a caravan when the kids were younger but the places I haven't been to, and want to do are -

Ireland, I class it as one. I'm told they will kill you with kindness.
Scotland - the North Coast 500 - springtime before the convoys start.
The Channel Islands

Closer to home
I can't say that there is anywhere in the UK that I am desperate to go to. Everywhere in the south is far too overcrowded & up north it is far too cold.

I am lucky to live on the seafront in Broadstairs, so it is like being permanently on holiday. In June we wanted a change of scenery & because we couldn't get to Turkey, we did Portsmouth, Southsea & the Isle of Wight. The Isle of Wight was very disappointing.

I get to travel to Weston-super-Mare regularly to see my daughter & grandson, go the Bristol to see my Mum & sisters, West Wales to visit my Dad, Northumberland to visit the in laws (Hauxley/Amble if we visit them at their caravan).

Maybe next year when we move to Turkey fulltime, I will appreciate the UK more.

Growing up we always did holidays in the UK, first camping, then with a trailer tent followed by an upgrade to a motor home. We toured most of the UK & I can still remember a lot of the places. The Scottish highlands would probably be the bit that I would most like to do, my husband would also like to see the area, as unfortunately for him, he spent every holiday with his parents at the static caravan in the same place & after that didn't both with holidays until he met me. I am not happy unless I have at least 2 holidays booked. ( currently have December, Easter & June booked & then move to Turkey in September. Also hope to fit in a Bruges Christmas market if the day trips are running)

Mushroom

Top Poster Of Month
Closer to home
You really don't want to be going to North Yorks/Northumberland it's always raining and those miles and miles of boring empty sands and countryside
And all those castles and ruined monasteries , really depressing!
Yeh. Best stay away and we will put up with it on your behalf !! ;)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom