Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Clean verges
On the way to Bodrum this afternoon it was nice to see guys with black bin bags picking up all the rubbish on the verges of the hill going up to the rubbish dump. They made a good job of it too. Shame Turks and I suppose Foreigners find it necessary to chuck their rubbish out the window. Would I be right in saying thats a big plus mark to the Yali council ?

JAYTEE

Clean verges
Full marks to Yali council.

Wish the verges in the UK were cleaned more often. Seems like chucking rubbish out of windows is not just a UK thing though.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Clean verges
Off topic slightly, apologies tendered in advance.

Several year ago in Goa, Jackie and meself went by taxi to Morjim Turtle sanctuary. Worth the trip. signs everywhere " take your rubbish home please ". So like good kids we toted a black bin bag around all day, collecting up our and others rubbish. Upon return the the taxi, our driver said " i'll look after that ". Great we thought, he then promptly emptied the bag out of the window as we toured along the beach road. Witha a big smile he offered us the empty bag back.

Just about sums the attitude of many locals.

Steve.

waterbaby

Clean verges
They are picking up the litter quite often up the "hill", you see them in the morning and still there late afternoon.Not work shy here are they!

pembelu

Clean verges
hi
its very possible they are prisoners. its normal practice in turkey and around our area. the locals are aware of that and they say some drop litter from windows just to give them work to do! they collect it and then the bags are often left on the roadside for the local council vans to collect as they would normal rubbish. i always asked my hub what are these bags always here for...and thats how i ended up finding out the stories of rubbish collection. Of course your lot could be hard working council workers but next time you get the chance have a close look? or ask...are they criminals?would we be able to tell- doubt it. i guess look for guards nearby- not that they would do a runner im told they will be shot on the spot.
rubbish is a real problem in our area too- noone tells thier kids to 'not drop' or 'pick it up' so they keep on doing it til they die! and at festival time they all just throw sweet wrappers infront on the person who gave it to them and they say nothing! i came from a completely different upbringing hence feeling bad in my gut if i ever dump something- therefore i dont- i was taught to care.

jakkigers

Eccleston/Konacik
Clean verges
When we drove from Bodrum to Marmaris and back last June, there were loads out with black bags collecting all the rubbish along the verges. We had the same thought - that they were prisoners (and we both work in prisons and sometimes have a sixth sense about such things). We felt it was maybe some kind of community payback by low security category prisoners? Mind you, I don't know where the nearest prison is (though I'd love to look round it - kind of a busman's holiday!!).

JAKKI xx

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Clean verges
When we drove from Bodrum to Marmaris and back last June, there were loads out with black bags collecting all the rubbish along the verges. We had the same thought - that they were prisoners (and we both work in prisons and sometimes have a sixth sense about such things). We felt it was maybe some kind of community payback by low security category prisoners? Mind you, I don't know where the nearest prison is (though I'd love to look round it - kind of a busman's holiday!!).

JAKKI xx

Think the nearest prison is in Bodrum opposite the bus station.

jakkigers

Eccleston/Konacik
Clean verges
Yeah, we asked about that one in Bodrum and somebody told us it was more of a holding/detention centre until the prisoner could be moved on elsewhere.

pembelu

Clean verges
there used to be a big prison in ula near mugla but i think its been closed down and inmates moved else where. there is an open prison in dalaman near the town centre and a small prison high security in koycegiz...all staffed by overly edgy young jandarma bless em.must be a crap job with all the family ive seen queues on mondays there with thier bags or fruit n veg.
word has it the inmates are taught handy crafts and many make belts, knit, weave ect.then family are allowed to sell them on to raise funds for thier sons. lady criminals- havent a clue where they go??

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom