Gamuret

Classroom air could be major cause of asthma
This could be of interest to any member with children or grandchildren.

The information comes from the "What Doctors Dont Tell You" site - What Doctors Don't Tell You: Alternative health treatments for asthma, cancer, arthritis and other chronic conditions. This contains a wealth of information for people who are not prepared to accept whatever they are told by their doctors and who wish to do their own research. There are regular (free) newsletters and the subscription is also very reasonable for those who wish to investigate further.

Air in your child’s school classroom could be the unsuspected cause of breathing problems such as asthma, a new study has discovered. Pollution in the air in many classrooms is worse than that being recorded outdoors, say researchers. Classroom air is full of ultrafine particles of pollutants that can be easily inhaled and go deep into the lungs. Researchers, led by Lidia Morawska, discovered that classroom air worsened during art activities, such as gluing, painting and drawing, and had twice the level of pollutants as the air outdoors. Ultrafine particle levels also increased when detergents were used to clean the classroom. (Source: Environmental Science & Technology, 2009; 43: 9103-9).

kaplumba

This could be of interest to any member with children or grandchildren.

The information comes from the "What Doctors Dont Tell You" site - What Doctors Don't Tell You: Alternative health treatments for asthma, cancer, arthritis and other chronic conditions. This contains a wealth of information for people who are not prepared to accept whatever they are told by their doctors and who wish to do their own research. There are regular (free) newsletters and the subscription is also very reasonable for those who wish to investigate further.

Air in your child’s school classroom could be the unsuspected cause of breathing problems such as asthma, a new study has discovered. Pollution in the air in many classrooms is worse than that being recorded outdoors, say researchers. Classroom air is full of ultrafine particles of pollutants that can be easily inhaled and go deep into the lungs. Researchers, led by Lidia Morawska, discovered that classroom air worsened during art activities, such as gluing, painting and drawing, and had twice the level of pollutants as the air outdoors. Ultrafine particle levels also increased when detergents were used to clean the classroom. (Source: Environmental Science & Technology, 2009; 43: 9103-9).

I can believe that although there was a push in the area I worked in to reduce the use of chemicals when cleaning. I banned the use of cleaning sprays in my department as did many other schools. We washed our cleaning cloths daily and just used the cloths with hot water to clean tables, chairs and equipment. The cleaner who dealt with end of day and toilet cleaning did use chemicals but kept them to a minimum. I now visit many schools and find that many rooms are kept too hot and windows are not opened enough. However recently there have been some fantastic new schools built and usually they have windows which open automatically when the air quality falls.

LyndaCB

This will not come as a shock to most people in the school environment.

Most of the schools I worked in were old Victorian buildings where the windows would not open or were too high to reach. Alot of classroom doors join onto the hall, which was generally in use for PE etc, so as a norm, most doors were kept shut too.

Some schools I worked in even had mould and/mushrooms coming out of the walls!!

Combine all this with an average of 35 pupils and a teacher..................

Did wonders for my immune system though - rarely catch any colds!!! :bowl:

kaplumba

I was educated in an old Victorian building with a wood/coal burner and windows that didn't open, however I remember spending a lot of time outdoors and when it got really cold and the heating couldn't cope the school was shut. My secondary school was more modern with windows that opened. The new schools that are being built now though are fantastic, plenty of outside play space for the young children, rooms that are easy to keep clean and these clever windows that open themselves. I love it when I am sent to work in one of those, they are a pleasure to work in and there is most definitely a calmer feeling in them. Many schools have ditched the cleaning sprays too.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom