bobthenob

Non Active Member
Cicadas
One of the beauties of Mediterranean living are the sounds of the Cicadas in the olive trees.l find it difficult to spot one in the trees,because when you walk near to where the sound is coming from,they stop what they are doing and are camouflaged and motionless.
They are more closely related to the leaf hopper then the grasshopper which surprised me,while l was reading up on the cycle of the insect.At least they are harmless to humans,but can be harmful to some cultivated crops.They are one of the loudest insects in the world and be quite deafening when there are a few of them in the area.
I heard people eat Cicadas and are quite a delicacy in some parts of the world.l wonder if the Turkish people have a diet of Cicadas and other insects on the menu.l wonder what a Cicada crunch delight taste like.
Are there any cuisine in Turkey with a diet of insects.Here is a photo of one.
331otjp.jpg

Cicadas
Our villa is surrounded by trees and yes they can be really loud, there is something quite tropical about the noise though.

I have never seen one as you said they have really good camouflage and once one starts its like a cicadas chorus.

I think they deep fry them in China, sort of like a bag of crisps, yuk!

Jane

Harem

I've cliqued
Cicadas
The noise here is quite deafening. I have managed to spot quite a few on the olive trees, and last year, managed to see one hatching out.

Cicadas
We used to have several in our garden but our cat has found them to be fun to play with and apparently quite tasty.

Fortunately we have some uncultivated ground next door. The cicadas are estalished there and we still get the pleasant sounds of them.

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Cicadas
Gave our olive tree a trim this year which has stopped the cicadas but they are still around us making their delightful noise which sometimes I feel needs a little curbing with the hosepipe.

maggie

Cicadas
We have hundreds of the little creatures in the olive trees in my garden at first I thought it was something to do with the electricity cables.
They start their noise at about 5 in the morning and carry on until sunset.At times it can be quite deafning.

Nik has tried hosing the tree to shut them up it doesnnt work.
Our cats love them many a morning I find a half chewed one on the back patio.
Some of them are about 2 inches or more long.

As I type this I can hear them all chattering away in the tree next to the window.

Hugs Maggie xx

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Cicadas
I have seen one close up, and their wings are so see through. When we come in May and October there's no sound from them, but in July they are in full voice, I've been told that it is their breeding call and they mate at that time of year. Can someone confirm this please. I do like their sound, we have an Olive tree outside of our apartment, have to say that they've not woken me as yet, but when around the pool I find their chorus quite relaxing.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Cicadas
Here is a very interesting article on the cicadas habitat.The cicada is really a large sap sucking insect,like the leafhopper and ahpid.The noise you hear is for attracting a female

l copied this article from Phobus.com

The eggs are laid in twigs. The newlyhatched young drops to the ground and, burrowing into it, feeds by sucking the juices of roots. It lives in this way for some time (the duration depending on the species), its appearance changing but slightly. Finally, it digs out by means of its enlarged front feet, crawls on a tree-trunk or some such thing, splits down the back and liberates the adult.

The adult male "sings," often very loudly and shrilly, by vibrating membranes stretched over a pair of sound-chambers situated, one at each side, near the base of the abdomen.

The Periodical Cicada or Seventeen-year Locust -- Thirteen-year Locust in the South - is Magicicada (formerly Tibicina) septendecim.

The adult has the same general shape as its relatives but its "music boxes" at the base of the abdomen have no cover and its eyes and the principal veins of the wings are red. There is nothing mystical in this color or in the W on the wings, although the sudden appearance of the adults in large numbers has been supposed to foretell war.

For about sixteen years, in the North, the young suck at the roots of plants. Toward the end of this period scalelike rudiments of wings appear. In the spring of the 17th year the nymph makes its way to the surface of the ground by a smooth, firm tunnel.

Sometimes, especially if the soil be moist and leaf-covered, it constructs a "chimney" over the exit-hole. Then, from late May to early July, it and the other members of its brood crawl out singly or in droves and, fastening on some support, molt to become adults that have a week or so of aerial life to recompense them for the long period of preparation.

There are a score or more of different broods, each of which has a rather definite, often restricted, distribution and time of emergence. Suppose there are three such broods in your neighborhood. One of them (that is, the adults) may have appeared in 2004 ; its next appearance was in 1921. Another might be 2006, 2023 and so on; while the third might be 2010, 2027, and so on. As a matter of fact, these are actual broods, although they may not be the ones of your neighborhood.

However, the example shows that we may have Seventeen-year Cicadas oftener than every seventeen years, to say nothing of the possibility in the various broods of laggards or extra-spry individuals that do not appear on schedule time.

There are numerous other species of this family, the differentiation being based largely on the form of the male genital plates, although there are size- and colordifferences and an attentive ear can detect differences in their "music." Of the genus Cicada (as here limited, Tettigia), the small hieroglyphica, with an almost transparent abdomen, may be found in pine barrens, and is our only species.

Last edited:

gwendy

gwendy
Cicadas
Bob my turkish neighbours call them August bugs, Aysa next door to me will often go to my olive tree gently pick one up , it will sit in her hand quite happy until she returns it, I love the sound of them, to me thats Turkey

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Cicadas
What ones is it that chirrup on ad nauseum in July, we got the day shift and the night shift. Quiet around dawn, quiet around dusk, satanic mills at all other times.

Love em, remind me of Carlos Santana's intros.

Steve.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Cicadas
The sound of a cicada at the front of my house this morning was very close.Once l settled down on a chair,off it went again.
l was looking everywhere and came across this insect that is similar to a locust.
Does a locust sound the same as a cicada.
103bhmx.jpg

pebble

Cicadas
for some reason the noise they make is very comforting to me, maybe cause i grew up withthem, and dont hear them here. in turkish they are called august bugs. they are uglier than sin, scare the living daylight out of you if you get eye to eye with them.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom