cirali

Children's Day in Turkey - Reports from Antalya
Hi everyone and good morning,

I would just like to give you a bit of news from Antalya. The annual Chlldren's Day festival is on right now here in Antalya from APRIL 16-25. THE 29th TRT INTERNATIONAL CHILDREN FESTIVAL OF 23rd.

Antalya/Turkey

On April 23, Turkey will celebrate Chlldren's Day. This holiday was started by Kemal Ataturk the father of modern Turkey as a day to celebrate the sovreignity of the people and dedicated it to children. Turkey is the only country in the world celebrating a “Children's Day”. Children from all around the world meet in Turkey every year to celebrate “23 April, National Sovereignty and Children Day”, which is organized by the TRT.

This year's festivities are being held in the city of Antalya.

http://www.trt.net.tr/23nisan/anasayfa.aspx?dil=eng

Our school BEDRİYE BİLEYDİ İLKÖĞRETİM OKULU has been selected along with other Antalya schools to host groups of children / students from two different countries this year. 18 Students from Kazakistan and 5 students from Angola have arrived. Any many families here are hosting these children. On Sunday night we picked up the exchange students upon their arrival in Antalya at midnight. Our foriegn exchange student is a 13 year old boy from Angola. We are having a super time and everyone is making new friends !!!! Even though we have a hard time to communicate as he speaks Portuguese. Lots of hand guestures and body language. The turkish families are really patience, warm and loving to these children.

If anyone is Antalya right now check out the calender to view some of the events !!! Also you can watch the events on TRT during the hours between 2-6pm. It will be broadcasted live today from the Kepez stadium.

http://www.trt.net.tr/23nisan/program.aspx?dil=eng

TRT initiated “The International 23rd April Children’s Festival” in 1979 with the goal of celebrating this first official children’s festival in the world, dedicated to the Turkish Children by the Great Leader Atatürk.The aim of TRT for organizing this “International Children’s Festival” is to share the spirit of the festival which unites the children of the world and to show them the way that leads to a future full of peace, friendship, love and understanding for human beings.

List of the countries coming to Antalya for this years celebrations.

http://www.trt.net.tr/23nisan/ulkeler.aspx?dil=eng

As the famous Ataturk once said '' Peace at home, peace in the world''

Carrie

cirali

PS

If anybody wants to watch the live performances it should be on channel 38 or 39 on Digiturk...TRT 1

Pennie

Thanks Carrie,
another very informative post.

I used to have exchnge students in the uk from spain and china, and know how much fun as well as educating it can be.
Hope you have a good time and I will look for you on the TV

Pennie xx

LindaA

Thanks Carrie,

it's my dream one day to be in Turkey for Childrens Day, it's my daughter Ayse's birthday that day, she's 4, and it would make a great party atmosphere for her to be in Turkey.
We'll have to settle for ballons and bouncy castle here this year, just hope the weather is hot like last weekend.

Good luck with the rest of your exchange,

Linda

Attachments

• Heathside Pic '06.jpg
    Heathside Pic '06.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 12

cirali

Hi Linda and thanks...what a beautiful photo of your little girl and a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY from Turkey from me !!!! :pressie: what a big girl !!!

Today they have a dance program to watch at the stadium but the big event will be held on April 23... so please try to watch if you can. There are more than 40 countries represented here staying in Antalya. Cameras, media etc...

LindaA

Aww,

look at those lovely big smiles on the little girls in front of your group Carrie, they look so happy and excited !

wish I could get those channels in the UK to watch

Linda

cirali

Hi Linda,

Aw.. yes that is too bad that you are not able to watch there in the UK..It was a great show and the kids had a super time. Tommorrow off to Side for more fun !!!! TRT 1 will broadcast again live tomorrow at 4 pm. Also more fun planned for the kids..a picnic and concert...then on Sunday a big performance in Aspendos....

If I have any more photos later I might post them as well.....

Carrie

Latest Posts

Top Bottom