teosgirl

Chicken packaging - how safe?
Hi,

My friend had a Turkey leg and decided to put it in the oven. Half way through cooking she realised that the paper/plastic square that is part of the packaging and sits underneath most chicken or Turkey products, was still stuck to the bottom of the Turkey leg. She removed it but is now wondering if it is safe to eat a meal that has been cooked near/with the square of paper?

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Charlotte

teosgirl

haha Philip - can you not just add a constructive comment along with the criticism??!
I didn't see your boring thread BTW, but even if I did my mother always told me to not say anything if I can't say something nice :)

Back to the Turkey....

Is it safe?

Charlotte

Saoirse

I cant see there being anything wrong with it
Is it the wee pad thing put in to keep it fresh?

teosgirl

Yep - I'd prefer not to eat the meal personally but felt the need to check on her behalf :)

Charlotte

Ceni

Ceni
No it won't hurt her, basically there are two types of these paper sheets, one is slightly padded and is packaged to soak up the small amount of liquid that may come from joints of meat. The thinner paper is just like a sheet of greaseproof paper for the joint to sit on in the polystyrine (sp) tray.

About 5 or 6 years ago my sister in law had made a lasagne in a glass tray and had covered it with cling film. Her instructions to me were to put it in the oven at a certain time at such a temperature. These instructions I had followed to the letter. However she hadnt told me to take the cling film off....which I still maintain to this day I didnt see.
Anyway we had almost finished the meal when she asked me if I had taken the cling film off.
Is it ok? All I can say is after 6 years we are all still alive.....

teosgirl

lol thanks everyone my mind is eased, and poor you Jane! At least it didn't give you indigestion :)

Charlotte

Hi,

My friend had a Turkey leg and decided to put it in the oven. Half way through cooking she realised that the paper/plastic square that is part of the packaging and sits underneath most chicken or Turkey products, was still stuck to the bottom of the Turkey leg. She removed it but is now wondering if it is safe to eat a meal that has been cooked near/with the square of paper?

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Charlotte

What's the update on this? That chicken must be cold already ...

funlife

Hmm ! I personly wouldnt plastics when heated or burned give off toxins ! And by the sound of it she didnt wash the chicken before cooking ! Sorry i woudnt eat anything that lady cooks .

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
I wouldn't have eaten it or anything cooked with it. If it was plastic, the heat will make it release toxins and I'd want to be cautious and agree with Funlife above except about the washing of the chicken. You should NOT wash chicken.

teosgirl

Thanks again - it was eaten and I believe everyone is still alive and kicking. I agree about the plastic emitting poisonous chemicals, but to be honest I dread to think what we've all consumed in restaurants and fast-food places, and many drink from plastic bottles and plastic lined cartons, and who know how they've been stored or transported?

As with regards to washing chicken - I didn't know that! I have never washed a chicken in my life, and wouldn't think it a very healthy thing to do, especially as we're told not to drink the water in this region; I know people in Istanbul who do, but seriously sometimes our water is brown!

Charlotte

C

ChristineP

When we were first married I cooked a chicken complete with the plastic bag of giblets still inside and we're both still alive nearly 40 years' later! Obviously I did it from ignorance rather than choice!

Veritas

Saw Jamie Oliver cook an egg wrapped in clingfilm in boiling water....I wouldn't fancy it. BTW they call that plastic thing that soaks up the meat juices a nappy....mmmmm

Latest Posts

Top Bottom