labman

Cheese
Hi all,

Stupid question maybe! But is it possible to get Parmesan cheese in Akbuk/ Altinkum? Also fresh basil?

Cheers

LM

hijo

in my own clique
Cheese
..you will get parmesan in most supermarkets here ,i get mine in samos ,a lot cheaper.as for basil.all over the place in turkey its called FESLEOEN..also many bars have a smaller version of basil on their tables to keep mosquito,s away..

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
Cheese
I bought a big wedge of Parmesan from Migros last month and it is expensive but goes a long way and tastes so good. I took would like to know where to get the large leafed basil like you can buy back in the uk not the minature basil plants you get here.

nwclio

Cheese
Hi, Tansas have Eski peynir at about 10TL a kilo and its great for spag bol or pasta dishes, basil can be bought of the Friday market and grown on your terrace.

labman

Cheese
Hi, Tansas have Eski peynir at about 10TL a kilo and its great for spag bol or pasta dishes, basil can be bought of the Friday market and grown on your terrace.

Is Eski peynir the same as or similar to Parmesan, Tanas isn't to far from me, also I gather that there is a garden center in Akbuk, do they sell basil plants?

LM

maggie

Cheese
Its not quite the same but as NwClio says it great for grateing on Spag bog.!!!It does have quite a strong taste unlike some of the other cheeses here.Just ask to try them at both the supermarkets and Akbuk market.

I would imagine the garden centre has basil plants but they would be cheaper on the market.all sorts of herbs,plants can be bought there.!!!

Hugs Maggie xxx

Cheese
The large leafed basil is called reyhan.
The smaller one is usually used for warding off mosquitoes and is a little too bitter for cooking.

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
Cheese
Thank you Rainbow, i will write that down. I can't think of better ingredients for my basket than some fresh basil, crusty bread, olive oil, garlic, tomatoes and a big hunk of parmesan. Nom nom!

nwclio

Cheese
I have used Eski peynir in cooking and its fine, if it sits in the fridge and dries it its as hard as nails like a good parmesan is. Ideal for grating!
Also the small leaved basil can be bought for as little as 50 krs per plant at the Friday market in Akbuk and is sweet and fine in cooking, nice in a thai green sauce!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Cheese
Thank you Rainbow, i will write that down. I can't think of better ingredients for my basket than some fresh basil, crusty bread, olive oil, garlic, tomatoes and a big hunk of parmesan. Nom nom!

OMG, I'm drooling at the thought, I would add some olives and a very nice full bodied red wine, lol

Cheese
Lyndsey,
You might like to try a square of white cheese about 8cm x 8xm topped with thinly sliced red onion. On top of that rip a few freshly picked reyhan leaves and then crown that with slices of juicy red tomatoes. Then drizzle with 2 part olive oil to one part balsamic vinegar. Leave for 5 minutes. Whilst waiting find a corkscrew and open a bottle of your favourite vino.

Afiyet Olsun!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom