wayne J

Cheapest way to call the uk from turkey ..!
Hi ...

Could anyone please advise, the cheapest way to phone home
from TURKEY ( Side ) specifically ..!

Have been advised to get local phone ( pay as you go ).
possibly TURKCELL ..

Then get a contour ...? Bundle of minutes..

Only came home this morning from side, had a problem yesterday
trying to set this up ( explaining it to shop staff ).

Is this still the best way ( or any other ) .

Help very much appreciated

& thanks to Leo & sharon for the chat the other night Re This topic ( four seasons )

thanks Wayne j

canuck

as described above, or an internet connection with Skype....

Ilica Park

The view is fantastic !!!
If you have internet access and don't want to call from a mobile I have found the cheapest way is to use Skype either pc to pc or pc to landline/mobile. If you don't have a good broadband connection you could use an internet cafe as they usually have Skype facilities.

I think the last time I used Skype to call a uk landline it cost just a few pence - 1.2p per minute rates shown here

Skype - call costs and rates

Obviously the calls are free for pc to pc calls or video calls which is great

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
You mean use a mobile phone?

If you've got a UK mobile, you'll need to register it to accept a Turkish SIM, then you'll be able to use it to phone UK numbers. Or, you've got to buy a Turkish mobile and use a Turkish SIM in it. But, eitherway, it'll work out expensive

The cheaper option is to buy an "Alo Kart" from the PTT (Post Office) and use a landline.

You buy the card for 10 TL and, depending on whether or not there's a special promotion in force at the time, you get between 60 and minutes of connection time.

To use it on a landline, you dial a number, enter the card number and password, and then the telephone number of your choice.

Or there's Skype if you have a broadband connection.

gerald

This isn't for everybody. I have wifi on my phone so can access skype, I use it all the time from UK, mostly from my computer but also my phone, there seem to be plenty of free hotspots in Alanya that we have managed to use.
If you are calling another skype user the calls are free. If you do need to buy credit so that you can call non skype users I suggest you use a cashback site like quidco to add credit, (they give you 25% back). The charged calls are very reasonable charged.

dngood

Services like WebCallDirect are worth a look, if you want to use 'normal' phones (e.g. land lines or mobile phones).

You do need the internet to initiate the call but that's all, once the call is initiation is done (takes about 10seconds), you no longer need an internet connection. Simply give it any 'source' phone number, and any 'destination' number, and click call, once you do that your phone (source) will ring, when you answer the 'destination' phone will ring. That's it.

Sample call costs:

* Turkish Mobile to UK Mobile (or vice versa): 11p/min
* Turkish Mobile to UK Land line (or vice versa): 4.8p/min
* Turkish Land line to UK Mobile (or vice versa): 7.4p/min
* Turkish Land line to UK Land line(or vice versa): 1.1p/min

To read more, see the article here: Cheap International Phone Calls

Dave.

Last edited:
I dont know how relevant this is, but I did see a UK advert saying if you have vodafone u can add a passport to it and now using your passport all calls are charged the same or inclusive of your call time when either at home or abroad.
so if this is correct
a vodafone uk mobile with passport add on looks like a good option.
I would suggest you look on the UK vodafone website for all details before taking my word though as it was a passing advert I caught, as I have a turkish voda sim and Turkcell but my Turkcell i couldnt use without borrowing some friends fones while there.

hope it helps
Crystalclear

M

Mack

Hi ...

Could anyone please advise, the cheapest way to phone home
from TURKEY ( Side ) specifically ..!

Find a greedy Emlak or developers office (shouldnt be too hard), tell them youre interested in buying but need to speak to relatives in the UK first and use their phone :goof:

hijo

in my own clique
..if your in turkey put 1045 before your normal numbers ..you will find this a lot cheaper..i also have skype..but i am changing over after credits have finnished ,, i have to bad a reception.so changing to "voipcheap"..uk is absolutley free as well as australia,which skype doesnt cover...:Flower:

Vodafone passport doesn't cover Turkey - only the EU.

Alice

Have you actually checked this please . I dont know as I am not vodafone but went with friends on vodafone and they also have passports and they said it was inclusive on there accounts. Also I am charged as Europe for Turkey on my network. Hence the reason I ask if you did check.

Regards
Crystalclear

CJD

Have you actually checked this please . I dont know as I am not vodafone but went with friends on vodafone and they also have passports and they said it was inclusive on there accounts. Also I am charged as Europe for Turkey on my network. Hence the reason I ask if you did check.

Regards
Crystalclear
I was making enquiries before we came away because the contract on my
company phones is finished in August, I was particularly interested in
Vodaphone because they now have a foothold in turkey I was told that
the passport did not cover Turkey indeed costs were higher than O2

biggles

biggles
3 weeks ago tried to register a uk mobile at turkcell bodrum . told me you can no longer register a foreign mobile . to call fairly cheap on a turkcell mob abroad from turkey ,use after 7 pm turkey time . my uk mob was blocked after 2 wwks in turkey .

soulmates2uk

gary and sharon
everyone keeps mentioning skype charges on here but no one has mentioned unlimited country? if you have skype go to accounts and buy this package you pick one country(multiple countries are more) you pay 35 euros and via your pc and a microphone or webcam you ring any uk landline as long as you want for free. my wifes on it 3 hrs a week all free!!

beldibi

On a landline, dial 1095 first, then your international number. The call is charged as a local call. This is a fairly new innovation, I would assume that this would also work on public phones, using a phonecard, as it is a TT system.

macfrazz

I called vodafone to check and to ask if they had any other ways of reducing the cost of calling the UK from turkey. they told me to communicate by text!

Lindacm

On a landline, dial 1095 first, then your international number. The call is charged as a local call. This is a fairly new innovation, I would assume that this would also work on public phones, using a phonecard, as it is a TT system.

Not quite sure how this system works! I've tried it, but didn't notice any changes...different dialing tone, link to any system, or anything. Is this normal?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom