puma

change plugs
can you take off a english plug and put on a turkish plug and if you can how is it wired up any diagrams ,hubbie will not touch anything electric i have to do it :embarasse

juco

change plugs
you can but cant remember the system, it is actually easier to buy the adaptors our there as they are cheap enough. I only change the plugs now if I want to extend the length of the cable.

neutral

change plugs
as an electrician just use the adaptors unless the appliance uses a lot of power as in heavy electric fire etc. then change the plug. :)

bryn

No Active Member
change plugs
Yes you can change the plugs. how to do it take back of english plug and you will see blue wire to the left hand connection and brown wire to right hand (as you look at it) use the same convention on a Turkish plug. The earth connection (green and yellow wire) then goes to the earth connection of the turkish plug which is the terminal joined to the metal clip on the outer edge of the plug. Hope that makes sense.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
change plugs
Make sure you buy Turkish plugs WITH earth connections. They are available with and without.

thurstan

change plugs
its so simple.

there are 3 terminals, one of which is the earth. The other two are reversible so it doesnt really matter to which terminal each wire goes

why buy an adaptor for £1 when the plugtops are 40p. And the adaptors dont fit into the extenson leads

if in doubt consult a qualified electrician

Thurstan

bryn

No Active Member
change plugs
KKOB I thought the plugs without earths had been phased out now, but you have reminded me of one thing to look out for and thats if you are buying an older property it will probably not have earths around the house except in the kitchen. So you may considder getting a sparker in to put things right in that respect.

thurstan

change plugs
KayaKoyuOldBoy said:
Make sure you buy Turkish plugs WITH earth connections. They are available with and without.

good point

though if you have an appliance with a two wire plug you dont need the earth

Thurstan

Last edited:

Rossie

change plugs
Just picked up on this one,whilst browsing,I was under the impression that a system of earthing ,was not available in Turkey,that appliances where double insulated, and a fused trip system was incorperated for saftey.
So am I wrong here?

bryn

No Active Member
change plugs
Rossie no your not wrong as such, Most small appliance are double insulated and the modern builds have earth leakage trips as in the rest of Europe but your washing machine,dishwasher etc still are not double insulated and therefore carry a shock risk if they go wrong hence the requirement for earths, Same can be said about some of the three bar electric fires sold here.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
change plugs
2 pin plugs without earth connections are readily available around the Fethiye area. Haven't heard anything about them being phased out.

eamonn1

change plugs
Thought you should not use metal light fittings in a room if you do not have an earth system. Eamonn.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
change plugs
Depends on whether you're abiding by Turkish or Rest of the World, safety rules ! LOL

Latest Posts

Top Bottom