Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Celebrate No More

Michigan schools cancel Halloween, Valentine's Day due to concerns over inclusion​

Extract:

Michigan's East Lansing Public Schools announced this week that elementary schools will drop Halloween and Valentine's Day celebrations.

In a letter reportedly sent to parents and shared by WLNS, officials wrote that the decision was made due to concerns over hurt feelings and uncomfortable families.

"Each year, along with the fun of Halloween parties and parades, we also have students whose families do not celebrate or feel comfortable with their children participating in Halloween festivals," it reads.

"Valentine's Day is another day in which school parties and the exchange of valentine cards leads to unintended consequences," the Elementary Principal Team said, noting that the exchange of valentines sometimes leads to classroom drama and teasing and that some families and students "do not feel comfortable with the idea of boys and girls exchanging valentines or participating in a celebration that focuses on ‘love.'"

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Celebrate No More
Let's face it both of these are celebrated for commercial reasons. Schools IMHO should not be following commercial themes.

Hilsjw

Celebrate No More
Yes, I guess that's true IA. but have you seen all the "Thank you teacher" cards in the shops. Never happened in my day, so that's commercial too. Valentine's Day and Halloween should just be a bit of fun. Teachers/parents/ children are getting so overly sensitive these days. So what if one or two children don't receive Valentines Cards, that's life and they will have to learn to grow up with not expecting everything to go their way and be just what they want.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Celebrate No More
In our school it was the ugly ones who didn't get valentines cards, it was all boys and I never got one

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Celebrate No More
We went to Kuwait immediately after the Iraqi invasion. There were a lot of immigrant workers (some working in the school, as porters and cleaners). they lived in very poor conditions, with little access to food. (it is still happening with those building the stadiums for the next World Cup in Qatar). We had to ban birthday parties in the primary school, as parents were competing with each other for the most lavish cakes etc. Some spending up to £180 in 1991! it was imoral. I still feel the same way when i see my wife's Facebook page. One post asking for money for starving people, and the next some ex colleagues posting selfies at tables groaning with food and drink.

Last edited:

Kanga

Celebrate No More
I've seen some schools drop Mothers and Fathers day card - making, to avoid upsetting children who don't have a parent.
I'm not surprised it's in the US, give it 5 years and we'll be doing the same in the UK.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom