KH THORNE

cash card travelers cheque sterling or Lira
Hi we are due out to Didim next month to purchase furniture ECT , however we dont want to carry to much cash with us, Any one know
which would be the best value for money ? cash ,card ,travelers cheques ,Sterling or Liras.
Karen & Dave

biggles

biggles
Hi we are due out to Didim next month to purchase furniture ECT , however we dont want to carry to much cash with us, Any one know
which would be the best value for money ? cash ,card ,travelers cheques ,Sterling or Liras.
Karen & Dave

have always used cash card. find you get the best rate that way [nationwide card ]

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Travellers Cheques seem to be on the way out. I wouldn't bother with them.

There are plenty of ATMs in Turkey so the safest bet is a card to either use for the purchase of goods or to draw out cash as and when needed. If you've got a Nationwide card, they don't charge for cash withdrawals from ATMs in Turkey.

Sterling I think will get you a better price.If you have a sterling bank account transfer some sterling into it from UK then draw it out when you get to Turkey.

butt007

Warren
Hello to you both, Liras in cash always the best, if you are spending a lot of cash in a shop, you can wave a bundle of notes in their face and see a great big smile light up on it, untill you put it back in your pocket, "problem, problem" they will say, and you say " you ask for to much money" Haggle, Haggle Haggle.
I don't believe they take Travellers Cheques here but could be wrong.
Warren

Martyn

Nationwide card, good rate of exchange, no charges so you can draw money out as needed. You can draw out Lira, Sterling or Euros.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
When they tell you the first price say " Hire, Shaka Yapiyorum ! " (I've spelt it phonetically for you)

Its worth having a Nationwide account if only for your holiday money as they don't charge at the moment. When we bought we got cash out of the ATM from N/W. George had to meet the furniture man at night on a car park to hand over his wad, he said he felt like a drug dealer, we have since purcvhased from Suleman by going straight to his factory, they don't use cheques and Travdelledrs cheques cost too much. You c an always haggle with cash as mentioned above

Lamb1949

When paying for furniture in Didim, if you have been introduced to the shop by someone, remember you are paying for their commission as well. Having been stung last year with my bank card being cloned in a jeweller's when I was watching the card all during the transaction, I would recommend that you withdraw cash from the hole in the wall and pay in Lira. Using sterling is handy but you will pay much more.
Look around the shops yourselves. Most furniture shops will welcome you with open arms. Note down prices quoted, and add it all up carefully. Then reduce it by 50%, and tell them that is what you are prepared to pay. Walk away if necessary. Refuse to pay the first few prices quoted. You will be likely to find the same piece elsewhere as virtually all shops sell the same or similar furniture. Tell one shop you have been quoted a far lower price elsewhere for the same item, and prices will tumble.
Watch Turkish electrical items as they can be problematic.
A lot of people are now going to Izmir for their furniture where there is a far wider choice, and they will deliver to Didim. If you need any help with this, get in contact and I'll send you the contact details of a British friend in Didim, who will point you in the right direction in Izmir.:Flower:

jil

jilly
We were out last sept doing the same thing, we are also out to Didim in May buying a bit more. Last Sept we used cash and also pined in the store. No problems at all. you may find that you can only pin once a day from the ATMs and it also depends on how much you need to draw. We took some cash with us, topped it up from the ATMs by both of us pinning from the ATMs from our own accounts and pined in stores for direct payment when we could.

tjd

Read the Nationwide T's and C's very carefully. They aren't charging for ATM use in Turkey. Or weren't when I called them about 4 weeks ago.

Went in and asked last week and she said they would be for Turkey, so will ask again.

REDDERS

I use my nationwide atm card at any garanti atm (known as 'paramatic') to bring money over from uk.Two things to bear in mind,if you've been using your card only in uk let them know you will be using it in turkey,or they may put a stop on it,thinking it's been stolen/cloned & you can only draw out a maximum of 500tl a day over here,altho' you can do this 7 days a week(i've been drawing 500tl a day for 6 days now to pay for tapu) with no poblems.

martin...

tjd

From their web site

Will I be charged the Visa fee for withdrawing cash from a cash machine?
Select the country you are visiting from the list below, if it is listed as "no fee charged" you will not be charged. Otherwise you will be charged the fee. Please remember if you use your credit card to withdraw cash you will be charged a cash advance fee.

From the accompanying table:

Taiwan
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Tenerife - No fee charged
Thailand
Togo
Tokelau Island
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tunisia
Turkey - No fee charged
Turkmenistan
Turks and Caicos Islands
Tuvalu

gren

Read the Nationwide T's and C's very carefully. They aren't charging for ATM use in Turkey. Or weren't when I called them about 4 weeks ago.

I think they are now charging UK members with an Irish accent.

Yes sorry tjd, i did go back in today and your right, i spoke to someone else, they said no charge.

Peregrine

I think nationwide are to start charging for cards from June.

looks to me like they have just changed but they wont be be passing on charges from their card supplier from June for Turkey

to check out where it applies go to nationwide.co.uk/foreigntransactions

sasha

Karen & Dave
would definately recommend using cash (Nationwide card as advised by others)
last year we were able to get a further discount after haggling when we said we would pay cash both for English notes, Euros and Turkish lira. Just make sure you take Bank of England notes
Enjoy
Sasha

Latest Posts

Top Bottom