Dickyb

Care for the elderly
Dear All,

We have my elderly father-in-law living with us. Are there any establishments in the Fethiye/Kalkan area that anybody knows of that provide respite care for the elderly? We would love a week off?

Cheers,

Dickyb

Saoirse

Care for the elderly
whilst there are some elderly care establishments in various areas of Turkey, as a general rule the Turks see it as a family duty to look after older people.

Indeed its one of the major cultural differences in that many there are appalled at what they perceive as the Western idea of "dumping" our elderly away in establishments.

I think I read recently of someone opening a home in the Fethiye area. I am sure someone will be along soon to give you better help.

You should also check Fethiye Times website as thats possibly where I read it

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Care for the elderly
Take a look at the website for the Halcyon Days Hotel in Ovacik. Under the Disabled Facilities tab it mentions that they also provide respite care.

Halcyondaysholidays.com

RIK

Care for the elderly
My wife and our next door neighbour have looking after an old french lady with Parkinsons.Eventually it became to much and they found a Home for her which also did the respite programe.I do not know how much a week would cost but a Longterm stay with a Doctor and Nurses plus meals etc is 1600 TL per month.She has her own room and is well looked after.Whilst this is in Antalya I would think that other similar places are available around Fethiye.

Ian

Care for the elderly
oh, thats nice..
RIK, can this french woman speak turkish?.. english? how can she communicate with the doctors and medical staff?
my mum is alzheimer so i wonder about this french lady.
and seems the place ur talking about is in antalya so would just be perfect..

Dickyb

Care for the elderly
My wife and our next door neighbour have looking after an old french lady with Parkinsons.Eventually it became to much and they found a Home for her which also did the respite programe.I do not know how much a week would cost but a Longterm stay with a Doctor and Nurses plus meals etc is 1600 TL per month.She has her own room and is well looked after.Whilst this is in Antalya I would think that other similar places are available around Fethiye.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Do you have any contact details for the establishment? Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Cheers,

Dickyb

Take a look at the website for the Halcyon Days Hotel in Ovacik. Under the Disabled Facilities tab it mentions that they also provide respite care.

Hi KayaKoyuOldBoy,

I've had a look at the site and will make a visit when next in Fethiye.

Am I right in thinking that you enjoy getting about on two wheels.

Cheers,

Dickyb

whilst there are some elderly care establishments in various areas of Turkey, as a general rule the Turks see it as a family duty to look after older people.

Indeed its one of the major cultural differences in that many there are appalled at what they perceive as the Western idea of "dumping" our elderly away in establishments.

I think I read recently of someone opening a home in the Fethiye area. I am sure someone will be along soon to give you better help.

You should also check Fethiye Times website as thats possibly where I read it

Thanks saoirse,

I appreciate your sentiments re perceptions of the elderly. All my wife and İ are looking for is a short break from providing 24/7 care for the last four years.

Cheers.

Dickyb

Last edited by a moderator:

Saoirse

Care for the elderly
Thanks saoirse,

I appreciate your sentiments re perceptions of the elderly. All my wife and İ are looking for is a short break from providing 24/7 care for the last four years.

Cheers.

Dickyb

I must stress they are some perceptions of some in Turkey not mine!

As someone who lost both my mum and dad within a few years with Alzheimers and MD respectively I know exactly what you are going through

Dickyb

Care for the elderly
Yes, I do. Why do you ask?

Saw you on Horizons Unlimited HUBB under Europe.

Got a thread going on Advrider dot com (still cant post URLs) titled Dickyb's Turkish Delights depicting rides around the Kas area. İ'm looking for decent routes further affield.

Cheers,

Dickyb

Last edited:

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Care for the elderly
Dickyb,
Do I get this right ? You are English and living in Turkey and your father-in-law is living with you..... did your father-in-law come with you from the UK, can he stand the heath then, or is he Turkish ?

RIK

Care for the elderly
TC.Yes she can speak fluent Turkish and English.I have known her for over five years and when she was fit she was very active in the community.It's such a shame what happens to you when you get old.

Ian

lilacdiana

lilacdiana
Care for the elderly
Dear All,

We have my elderly father-in-law living with us. Are there any establishments in the Fethiye/Kalkan area that anybody knows of that provide respite care for the elderly? We would love a week off?

Cheers,

Dickyb

Hi Dick I was wondering if you had some family who would come and "sit" for you so you could go away? I work with people like your father in law in their own homes and often find the client
is happier when they stay in their own surroundings!

Have you thought about hiring a private carer for a week?

Just a thought.

Di x

Dickyb

Care for the elderly
Hi Sparrow,

Father-in-law is English, as are we. We brought him over to Turkey after he lost his wife of 64 years (he is 90). Health wise he is as fit as a fiddle. His short term memory lets him down though.

Cheers,

Dickyb

Hi Di,

Thanks for the reply. When family come over they want to "be beside the seaside" with their young kids. We have tried the private carer route but have yet to find one, let alone employ one.

Cheers,

Dickyb

Thank you for all the replies. We have now got a carer(s).

Cheers,

Dickyb

Last edited:

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Care for the elderly
Dickby,
I think it is great that you did bring your father-in-law over to Turkey to look after him, not many people would do that
I know what I'm talking about, because my mum who is 83 and has Parkinson, lives with me, I'm only working half-days and the other half of they day, somebody comes for 2 hours to look after her.
It is all allright when you manage to have a great regularity in your life, but all "special things" (like holidays, going out for a long time) are difficult
When I go on holiday (I do it twice a year for a week), my mum has to go to a nursery home, which she hates.
I did also think of hiring somebody , but then, I thought : is it really secure to leave my mum at home with a complete stranger (for her and for me)
I wish you luck with your search for a place for him, you should really go through with it...because it will get tougher by the years to do it

Take care, obviously I cannot be of any help with your search in Turkey....

Nadine

Care for the elderly
Whilst this has nothing to do with finding a carer for Dickyb's Dad in Law, I just want to say that Mrs Dickyb is my Guardian Angel.
Besides caring for her elderly father (along with Mr D) she has ferried me backwards and forwards to Antalya for my chemo, check ups, scans etc. staying overnight when necessary, for 18 months now. They both also do a lot for the care of the local street animals. In fact returning from one of my recent chemo zappings we found a puppy dumped at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. They took this little mite in and added her to their family of 5 dogs and 4 cats.

If anyone deserves a break, its these two wonderful people.

Soo

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Care for the elderly
Oh, that is indeed great Soo.......
I often wondered how you managed to get to the hospital

It is obvious Mrs. Dickby is a very, very caring and lovely person, because not a lot of people would bring their father with them to Turkey, and then doing this for you for already 18 months it is exceptional

She is not only a guardian angel then, but a true angel !

Latest Posts

Top Bottom