dalyansteve

Cardinal sins.
I could have said rules to live by. Dalyan is a small village, Turkey in general has rules and morals similar to England indeed Europe in the 1950's.
It seem's the rules for foreigners here are; Do not work unless entirely legal.
Rule 2. Be very discreat in what you do.
Rule 3. If you are Gay do not flaunt it.
Rule 4. Do not get caught.
Rule 5. Do not upset anyone in the village they are probably related in some way to everybody else.
Rule 6. Do not do anything illegal.
These rules will probably work elsewhere in Turkey but if you break any of these rules there is no help and it will only reflect badly on other foreigners living happily here.

dalyansteve

Cardinal sins.
Hi Carol, it is more a reminder that we are guests in a foreign country that in some ways is stuck in the past and in others it is firmly today.
One of the things, wrightly or wrongly, is about being gay. They might laugh and joke about it but get caught being it is a real no no.
There is a business here in Dalyan that has broken more than one of these rules and like it or not it reflects badly on the rest of us. Gay or not.
I have many gay friends and even relatives, see my thoughts on previous threads such as gay marriage, but we are living in a country where publicly these things are frowned upon and are indeed illegal, much as it was in the UK in the 1950's. I am not saying I condone it, it is more a case of what we don't know cannot hurt us.
Having a business in Turkey that is obviously successfull is another thing that causes jealousy and even rage be the owners English or Turkish.
So don't flaunt it and don't get caught are 2 maxim's everyone should live by.
Another example is having conspicuous wealth, flaunting it and then wondering why you have been robbed!

Cardinal sins.
Hi Steve..a lot of sense in what you say.
İ have lived in Eastern Turkey as well as in Alanya..and the differences are really superficial. Scratch the surface and the traditional values are intact..along with prejudices and maybe a narrow view of the world we come from

dalyansteve

Cardinal sins.
Well Shirleyanntr, there are many Turks from the east living and working in Dalyan and other resorts and if they don't like what is going on they will complain.
I am sorry to say that having sex with foreign women and taking advantage of them does not come under the heading of what you must not do.

Cardinal sins.
If foreign women are stupid enough to come over here leaving their knickers and brains on the plane then it's their fault. They are adults, arn't they??:321oi:

carolk

R.I.P
Cardinal sins.
Of course they are and the male prostitutes are just wonderful!! I suppose if you are the type of man that will sh*g anything with a pair of lungs and a purse of any age - hey, who are we to condemn them eh? They are just helping their family out, right!

Wonder what the planes and airports do with all these knickers and brains?

CJD

Cardinal sins.
;)maybe the airlines sell them to the soup kitchens, there is an abundance of 'brain' soup in Turkey:noidea:
not sure about the knickers though

Last edited:

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Cardinal sins.
Let's cut to the chase, some women are footloose and fancy free, some may fancy a dalliance that will have no future to it. Some women are independently minded, just like a lot of blokes. Who are we to cast aspersions, i for one believe in emancipation for all sexes and persuasions. Good luck girls, if you can get it, do it. Go home chuckling.

Steve.

Cardinal sins.
Maybe Brıts settıng up busınesses ın Turkey leave theır braıns ın the same box as the footloose women.

So ın Dalyan we are mournıng (allegedly) the passıng of another busıness and there wıll be the waılıng and nashıng of teeth from the expat brıgade who say 'Those nasty Turks have closed down another busıness how dare they etc etc etc.'

However dont lets forget how those same expats can at the drop of a hat ruın Turkısh bars as well by movıng onto another drınkıng venue ıf the beer goes up 50kuros or ıf they start playıng, god forbıd, Turkısh musıc, or ın one case ın Dalyan where the waiter was serving the Turks fırst!!!!

What never faıls to amaze me ıs how many Brıts put more research ınto the cost of a pınt of Efes than the laws for runnıng a busıness. We dont need work permıts, we're Brıts they say. Or they cry 'My mate can get me a work permıt for the cost of a bottle of Rakı'. And despıte beıng told by the lıkes of the TLF members otherwıse, off they go ploughıng bundles of dosh ınto ıt and then ıt goes belly up.

And lets remember why work permıts are hard to get. Because thıs ıs Turkey and any jobs are and should be for the Turks fırst and foremost. Why should Brıts and other non Turks expect to walk ın and cream cash from a poor natıon and then beggar off back to Blıghty to massage theır already overınflated egos and splash the cash.

Of course, the same people bemoanıng the loss of busınesses because of the nasty Turks wıll be the same ones damnıng the eastern europeans for enterıng the UK and pınchıng all the jobs! Pot callıng kettle black sprıngs to mınd agaın.

Maybe those losıng theır busınesses can get together wıth the Brıts beıng stopped from workıng ıllegally and set up theır own support group. Why not call ıt 'Vıctıms R Us' and take responsıbılıty for theır own faılures and dısrespect for the country ın whıch they have chosen to be guests.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Cardinal sins.
There is a list of jobs that a foreigner can't work as in Turkey. I seen it once before, can't find it now. You would be surprised as what you can actually do, almost nothing. Even a foreign singer at a local bar is against the law. If someone starts a business and hires many Turks to help run it is that still considered stealing jobs?

Biker Bob

cvcegdge

Cardinal sins.
? what not even a peck on the cheek? so there are gay nudist beaches, but no kissing allowed.............seems a tad confused and yes definitely 1950's era.

ihutch

Cardinal sins.
Well Jackomickey, am I please to see someone who has the brains to acknowledge what a load of plonkers Brits can be when they come to live here! Well done on this post, pity your other one got 'moved# but it was expected eh?
Quote:'So ın Dalyan we are mournıng (allegedly) the passıng of another busıness and there wıll be the waılıng and nashıng of teeth from the expat brıgade who say 'Those nasty Turks have closed down another busıness how dare they etc etc etc.'
I don't think there are that many who are mourning!

Harem

I've cliqued
Cardinal sins.
? what not even a peck on the cheek? so there are gay nudist beaches, but no kissing allowed.............seems a tad confused and yes definitely 1950's era.

Yes, cheek to cheek kissing is fine, but no on the lips kissing in public.

Cardinal sins.
I'm a bit puzzled about your rules for living in Turkey, Dalyansteve. How does your rule 1 square with the information you have given today about yourself in the "Happy to be living in Turkey" thread?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom