Martyn

Caravan or Motorhome owners
Are there any on here? I've suddenly got a bug to buy one and do some touring around the uk and Europe. Any input is welcome.

pldouglas

YES! Proud motorhome owners (shes called Elsie) for over a year now and she is the reason our villa is now for sale, because we just love the motorhome life so much more than worrying about a house in another country.
We love the feeling of being on holiday as soon as your fire her up. We love the changing view everywhere you stay. We love the friendliness of other caravan and motorhome owners - its a social life in itself, there are so many rallies all the time if thats your thing. We love the thought of being able to be in France in just a couple of hours and from there - who knows.
As yet, we haven't found a down-side after about 11 trips in the last year.
Go for it, its a great holiday experience.

Hi Seems to be the in thing at mo! Had touring caravan for 17 yrs great fun when children were younger,now have a Static in West Wales... Friends of ours have just purchased a Motor Home,could not believe the space inside,would love one!!!!!

Andy & Sue

Martyn

Oh your next door neighbour will be pleased lmao!!!

They are never there, the buggers went away today again. They are away most weekends and now there are retired most weeks as well :evil:

YES! Proud motorhome owners (shes called Elsie) for over a year now and she is the reason our villa is now for sale, because we just love the motorhome life so much more than worrying about a house in another country.
We love the feeling of being on holiday as soon as your fire her up. We love the changing view everywhere you stay. We love the friendliness of other caravan and motorhome owners - its a social life in itself, there are so many rallies all the time if thats your thing. We love the thought of being able to be in France in just a couple of hours and from there - who knows.
As yet, we haven't found a down-side after about 11 trips in the last year.
Go for it, its a great holiday experience.

There is upsides and downsides to both as far as i can make out. A motorhome is a lot of money but you can rent it out if you want. It looks quite lucrative. On the downside unless you tow or carry a vehicle(bike/car) with you you have to take your home with you if you are on site and want to go some distant. With a caravan you pitch up and you are free.

Last edited:

pldouglas

The biggest debate is the choice between motorhome or caravan (tuggers) and we only chose the motorhome because the Dearly Beloved didn't fancy towing.
I thought the lack of a car would be a drawback but, so far, its not been a problem because you find most sites are close to public transport/pubs etc and we are big walkers anyway. Its also nice to be able to just pull up anywhere you fancy, pop in the back and stick the kettle on, or in our case go to the wardrobe and pour a glass of wine - because what else would you use a wardrobe for other than keeping a barrel of homemade vino.
We bought a second hand motorhome to try out first (shes 6 years old) before we spent out lots of money on a new one, its been the best thing we ever bought and we will probably buy a new one when we find exactly the layout we want. We often find we are re-tracing the many happy miles we did on motorbikes over the past 30 years, but this time theres no putting a tent up in a howling gale or finding the air-bed has deflated in the night!
We're away again next week, just a week in Norfolk taking in several museums and National Trust properties along the way before a slow tour down the coast towards home in Sussex - can't wait - you can keep Gatwick!!!

We have a caravan, looked at changing it to a motor home but decided not to as the roomy motor homes are very expensive and as we have a large tourer I like the space. We did think of hiring a motor home to try it out and may well do at some time. We love caravanning and as mentioned before are hoping to travel from the uk to Turkey stopping in every country we pass through. Think its just personal choice.

Martyn

The biggest debate is the choice between motorhome or caravan (tuggers) and we only chose the motorhome because the Dearly Beloved didn't fancy towing.
I thought the lack of a car would be a drawback but, so far, its not been a problem because you find most sites are close to public transport/pubs etc and we are big walkers anyway. Its also nice to be able to just pull up anywhere you fancy, pop in the back and stick the kettle on, or in our case go to the wardrobe and pour a glass of wine - because what else would you use a wardrobe for other than keeping a barrel of homemade vino.
We bought a second hand motorhome to try out first (shes 6 years old) before we spent out lots of money on a new one, its been the best thing we ever bought and we will probably buy a new one when we find exactly the layout we want. We often find we are re-tracing the many happy miles we did on motorbikes over the past 30 years, but this time theres no putting a tent up in a howling gale or finding the air-bed has deflated in the night!
We're away again next week, just a week in Norfolk taking in several museums and National Trust properties along the way before a slow tour down the coast towards home in Sussex - can't wait - you can keep Gatwick!!!

Interesting feedback, thanks. You say you can pull over and go in the back for a cuppa but can't you do that with a caravan or do you have to set it up properly to do so? Motorhomes are so expensive so if I got one i would probably hire it out to justify the buying of it.

butt007

Warren
Yes Martyn, you can just pull over with a caravan and put the kettle on! no prob. We had a caravan for over 30yrs, not the same one I hasten to add.

We went to Germany, France, Ireland, Norway and found them to be the best option, we did consider several times a motor-home, but it always came down to the same problem and that was you need a car but that would have to be towed behind, so that means a larger engine to do that, and of course more petrol/diesel.

No in my humble opinion a nice big caravan is best, you can't beat it.
Warren

willip

willip
we brought a motorhome off Ebay for £18000 three years ago, it had only had one owner before us they had bought it so when they retired they were going to travel and just 6 weeks into retirement the poor man had a stroke.

we travelled to Turkey for 4 months last year, stopped off at service stations every evening so we never payed any site fees.

then this year we travelled around Spain for 3 months again stopping every evening on the sea front or service station. very relaxed abroad not like England when it comes to parking up.

it is the best thing we have purchased. Pat

Martyn

we brought a motorhome off Ebay for £18000 three years ago, it had only had one owner before us they had bought it so when they retired they were going to travel and just 6 weeks into retirement the poor man had a stroke.

we travelled to Turkey for 4 months last year, stopped off at service stations every evening so we never payed any site fees.

then this year we travelled around Spain for 3 months again stopping every evening on the sea front or service station. very relaxed abroad not like England when it comes to parking up.

it is the best thing we have purchased. Pat

How does it work out with running power if you park up at services, i assume you have no mains supply there? Can they run on the battery for long periods or is the battery charged as you drive?

willip

willip
partner fitted a inverter(think that is how it is spelt) it charged through a battery, we can get up to about 3 days ele supply with 1 days charge it powers everything, we use to park up at Mcdonalds some nights and i would use my laptop and i would pick up free wifi, hope owners of Mcdonalds don't read this lol Pat

pldouglas

There is a forum website called motorhomefun which is as packed with help and info about caravans and motorhomes as this is about Turkey.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom