immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Car Values Guide?
Is there a publication in Turkey which shows second hand car values?

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the prices on the web sites like Araba.com. Huge discrepancies depending where you are buying (North west seems to be cheapest around Istanbul and Izmir), but other than that it seems to be a free for all, even to the point that during the latest tax cuts some second hand cars are put on at more than the cost of a new car.

Is there an bench mark?

Ian

Karyn UK

Car Values Guide?
There is a very weird attitude to cars in Turkey, and a lot of it is about perceived value. Cars from Ankara are perceived to be worth more than cars from the coastal regions where they are exposed to rust causing salt air. Also, repairs dramatically reduce the value of a car - for example, you scrape your car on the curb or get a minor prang you would naturally get it repaired so the car looked nice. In Turkey this would reduce the value a lot as the car would no longer be "original"! Basically repairs are not trusted.

There is no equivalent of Glasses Guide however all of the notaries hold books on official car values by make and model decreasing with age. This is what they use to ascertain your charges when you buy the car. These values seem to be even higher than the asking prices! I recently bought a second hand car, okay it was a good deal but not brilliant, and the notary assigned value was 2500tl more than I paid.

Karyn

Last edited:

dngood

Car Values Guide?
When I did my car depreciation report for the Bulletin I took an average price for a given model and year on Sahibinden.com across many 'identical' cars. You're right - there's a hell of a discrepancy across the cars.

I think that's as close as you can get (at least taking an average over (lots) of cars weeds out all the one's priced at either end).

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Car Values Guide?
I'm coming down to either a Nissan Navara 2007 or younger, or a Mitsubishi L200 of the same age. Automatic prefered (I'm moving away from that as too restricting) but 4X4 essential. What is the depreciation on these like?
Ian

dngood

Car Values Guide?
HI Ian,

I didn't look at pick-ups specifically, however the article should give you a reasonable guide. For the one's you're looking at, I'm sure they'll depreciate about the same - both Nissan and Mitsubishi are regarded as good reliable makes.

Car depreciation in Turkey

Sorry I can't help more; it's just a matter of trawling through similar models on sahibinden.com to get an idea of a more accurate depreciation.

Dave.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom