CJD

Car Insurance in Turkey
As I understand it if I buy a car it has to have a MA plate
this would mean only I or my direct family ie. sons could
drive it, my partner (english) would not be able to.
If I were to buy a car in a turkish persons name, could they
insure it for anyone to drive, meaning both of us??

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Car Insurance in Turkey
Re: Car Insurance

Your English partner CAN drive the vehicle providing that they have a covering letter from you in Turkish giving permission and stating that the partnership is "long-term" or a "life partnership", and you must advise your insurers of the fact.

This also applies to married daughters because of the change in surname.

Reactions: CJD

Howell's

Car Insurance in Turkey

Now im confused because we own a car but when we registered it at the notary we only put the car in my husbands name so the insurance company said i could not drive it.
Anyone know if thats true ?

kelchocolate

Just Watch Me
Car Insurance in Turkey

Yes,you've got to have a share in the car to be able to drive it.We brought our car last nov and we were advised by the insurance company to have 50/50 shares in the car so both of us can drive it.

matty

Car Insurance in Turkey

Yes,you've got to have a share in the car to be able to drive it.We brought our car last nov and we were advised by the insurance company to have 50/50 shares in the car so both of us can drive it.

OMG it just gets more confusing by the day!!:doh: when we purchased a car last year registered in my name, and took out full insurance. I was told that my husband could drive the car or any family member with the same surname!

Regrds Matty.

CJD

Car Insurance in Turkey

You are not alone untill today thats how I understood it to be
kkob statment was a revelation to me!.
I would however like to know if a car belonging to a turkish person
can be insured for a yabanci to drive it

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Car Insurance in Turkey

Matty, Yes that's correct.

If you look at the original question, this thread is about partners who DON'T have the same surname as the owner of the vehicle.

Carol,

Yes, a Turkish person can have a vehicle insured for a "Yabanci" to drive.

Car Insurance in Turkey

Hi

We bought a new car and the garage registered it in Ken's name and assured me I would be able to drive it. The insurance company sold us very expensive any driver, fully comprehensive insurance.

After checking with the Didim Noter Office and the Aydin Police Station where the car was registered, this is the information I was given:

Your registration document states that only the persons named as owners can drive the car: I have checked this and it is correct.

The law allowing family members to drive with a letter of authority was changed last year and no longer applies.

Ken had to sell me half the car and we had to pay for Noter's fees, translator fees and re-registration of the car. All in all I think it came to about 600 lira. We then had to pay to have the Police Insurance upgraded to include my name.

When I asked the insurance company about our "any driver" insurance they said that yes we were insured with them but it would not be recognised by the police ?????????

These are my official sources and the information I was given. I believe I was driving illegally in Turkey for six months without being aware of it despite having put in a great deal of time and money trying to assure otherwise.

The only certainty I can see is that if your name is on the registration book as part-owner then you are in a legal position to drive.

I hope this helps and as I say my information came from official sources.

Veronica

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Car Insurance in Turkey

Bloody marvellous isn't it ! :wink:

I checked the details with my contact at the Trafik Jandarma before I put it anything writing.

Burasi Turkiye ! :lol:

hijo

in my own clique
Car Insurance in Turkey

.. i was told the same thing by the people i bought the insurance from"also the garage were i bought the car",there would be no problem my missus driving it..i did say to them if she cant drive it ,i would like her put on as joint owner before buying it..and they assured me i was ok ..then handed over 750 lira for the insurance, now what veronica is saying sheds a different light..seems they just take your money and we suffer the consequence...ps i do have a traffic polis friend i have known over 20 years ..i will make a point on going to see him today.:307bt:

soulmates2uk

gary and sharon
Car Insurance in Turkey

i can confirm the above is correct. we had the chance of usng a free car whilst owners back in uk but insurers stated only those named on ownership docs can legally be covered, you cant even use with owners permission sorry

Car Insurance in Turkey

When we were in the Noter's office in Didim one of the staff phoned her sister who worked in the Police office in Aydin who confirmed that under the new regulations (January 2008 I think) it was no longer possible to issue a letter of authority for anyone but the named owners to drive your car.

All I can say is check your Registration book it states quite clearly that only the named owners can drive.

But this is Turkey and the traffic police had stopped me several times and not picked up on the fact that I was not a named owner. Did they know of the change of law - I bet they would if I had an accident!

Veronicaq

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Car Insurance in Turkey

Can someone explain the options on insurance - from basic to full cover - and what is a desirable/essential level to keep you out of prison if there is an accident? How expensive are the various options?

Also does the equivalent of "no claims discount" apply over the years?

Do they have add-ons like UK insurance e.g. windscreen, voluntary excess etc.

Don't spare me the detail as my Turklish friends seem to have nothing but some basic level and can't explain it in a way I understand.

Ian

Last edited:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Car Insurance in Turkey

As I said, don't spare me the details. Surely somebody has car insurance?

Ian

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Car Insurance in Turkey

Contact Baris at Baris Consultancy in Fethiye. I'm sure he'll be able to explain everything you need to know about the various types of insurance available in Turkey. He might even sell you some ! :wink:

Baris Consultancy - Insurance - Fethiye

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Car Insurance in Turkey

That is my concern. I would rather have some idea what I am talking about before I go shopping for it. At the moment he could sell me anything because I don't know diddly (is that a song ?).

Ian

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Car Insurance in Turkey

That's OK, if you'd rather take advise from people who think they know, rather than from somebody who definitely does.

Try putting "car insurance, types of" into a search engine and you'll get hundreds of hits. Find the type of insurance that you think you need and then go looking for companies that offer it and can quote you.

Last edited:

Delboya

Car Insurance in Turkey

My wife ıs Turkish we are buying a car so ıs ıt advisable to register it in both our names so both of us can drive the car? I have not got my Kimlick yet but İ shall apply for turkish driving licence.Does this incur extra costs to register joint ownership?Early reply and help appreciated.Thanks

hijo

in my own clique
Car Insurance in Turkey

..i would take KKOB,s advice go to the people that know the FACTS( e.g Insurance companies,traffic polis) far to many conflicting stories on these forums..

cricket 1

Car Insurance in Turkey

Fully Comprehensive Insurance in Turkey is called "Casko", any Sigorta will sort it out for you but get a few Quotes, costs do vary.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom