Can you sail from the UK to Bodrum
As you all know, we are off to pastures new, and my Mum who is about a million years old, but still looking good for her age, was wondering if its possible to sail to Bodrum. My Mum cannot fly (by plane I mean, incase some of you think she has a set of damaged wings:95im:), but would like to come out and visit. Any suggestions??? xx

Thanks guy's... Mum's not too good for long distances on a coach, but I will definitely check out Cunards ports. Thanks so much:blowkiss:

scotssteve

how about a cruise to Cesme Sue, then a transfer from Cesme to Bodrum.
It's a beautiful port well visited by cruise liners.

regards

oooo, that sounds good Steve, actually, thinking about it we could meet her at one of the resorts, and have a holiday there ourselves:3:

Pete&Mag

Hi Sue. Have a look at cruise.co.uk they are agents for 30 or 40 of the main cruise companies including Cunard,P&O,Tompson,etc. A lot are fly Cruises ,but some are from Southampton/liverpool
Pete

RedBloodedHound

PostPositive
Hi suecheshireuk,

I have taken the train from victoria through Germany and on to Istanbul, on the Munich Express in the 70s. Quite frankly it was a little rough and you did share space with people carting all sorts of goods both ways. Looks different now, here's the link; How to travel by train from London to Istanbul (Turkey)

Ferries that avoid that route sail from Ancona to Cesme. Obviously train down. From Brindisi ferries go to Greece and then you can Greek island hop down to say Cesme etc. MES lines are one carrier. Here's the link; FERRIES 2010 - All Mediterranean Ferries , Greek Ferries to Greece - Italy Greece, Greek Ferry Tickets, Ferries Greece - Greek Islands Ferries, Greece Ferries and; ML Marmara Lines: Autofähren in die Türkei

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
Hi, if you want to explore the train aspect look at a website called seat61.com (or similiar to that). The guy was a manager of one of the big London train stations (the name came from the seat he liked on Eurostar - he always reckoned that was the best seat). Anyway you can do the research for any trip - I was looking up the Trans-Siberian for a friend and it went into all the options for forward travel like ferries onto Japan. I have read that the train to Istanbul takes 4 days roughly.
Anyway back to topic - a cruise could be a good option, maybe get off at Kusadasi (for Ephesus, spelling?). Get a good agent to go through the options, maybe not on the High Street. The Daily Mail on Saturday has pages of cruises ads with details of all the phone agents like Gills etc. On second thoughts you may be limited if you are needing a cruise leaving a UK port that is calling into Turkey. Best of luck, Carol

DRACEY

As you all know, we are off to pastures new, and my Mum who is about a million years old, but still looking good for her age, was wondering if its possible to sail to Bodrum. My Mum cannot fly (by plane I mean, incase some of you think she has a set of damaged wings:95im:), but would like to come out and visit. Any suggestions??? xx
We did it by rail last year Newcastle to Amsterdam by ferry then on to Istanbul via Vienna- Budapest - Bucharest - Istanbul then bus to where you are.You can also do it through Paris via Eurostar, then on through Italy and Greece, or Italy then ferry to Turkey.Go to, seat61, website for all train travel, routes etc.
It takes a bit of time and planning but not difficult using the website as guidence.
Take time and sit down with sheet of paper and the various online timetables it's not too complicated.We took ten days to get to Turgutreis and made a holiday of the journey but it can be done in three days.You can buy a european rail pass for about £212 and pay the extra for sleeping compartment but we found it worked out about the same and with more flexibility buying the tickets for each stage separately.

A89

We did it by rail last year Newcastle to Amsterdam by ferry then on to Istanbul via Vienna- Budapest - Bucharest - Istanbul then bus to where you are.You can also do it through Paris via Eurostar, then on through Italy and Greece, or Italy then ferry to Turkey.Go to, seat61, website for all train travel, routes etc.
It takes a bit of time and planning but not difficult using the website as guidence.
Take time and sit down with sheet of paper and the various online timetables it's not too complicated.We took ten days to get to Turgutreis and made a holiday of the journey but it can be done in three days.You can buy a european rail pass for about £212 and pay the extra for sleeping compartment but we found it worked out about the same and with more flexibility buying the tickets for each stage separately.

How did you find the travelling Dracey? Did you feel like you'd had a holiday when you arrived?? Id love to travel like that because I like train travel but ive never done an overnight, id also like visiting the countries on route but im worried it would be very uncomfortable and arduous.

Pete&Mag

Hi Sue. While I was pondering your question,I came across a website Seat61.com It details train travel to loads of destinations from Uk. This may not answer your question re sail ,but it may be of interest to others for the future.
Have fun out there. Wish I was back in Yalikavak now. Pete

Top Bottom