ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Can Secular Democracy Survive in Turkey?
This is a fascinating read from almost three years ago, when Gul and Erdogan pledged to respect the Turkish Constitution and it's requirement of secularism.

Perhaps they still do and I'm interpreting everything wrongly? Whatever the case, surely the same question still applies.

'By nominating an observant Muslim for the Turkish presidency, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan inadvertently highlighted deep-rooted tensions about the role of religion in the nation's political life. These tensions were already evident in recent Pew Global Attitudes surveys that found growing doubts among Turks that democracy can thrive in their country and increasing worries that Islam is playing a larger, and possibly harmful, role in politics.'

Here

C

mollag

Kipper restorer
He cant win really, i mean he couldnt find a candidate who wasnt a muslim, the official religion, whos own level of piety is surely a personal matter.

I think Guls opponents are using the old "do you still beat your wife" gambit.

He is the peoples democratic choice in many elections so his opponents look for mud to sling, mainly they try to paint him as a "secret muslim activist" its a great method because its secret you dont need proof.

Lynn2

lynn2
I think secularism could be under threat, look what happened in Iran - and Iran is Erdogan's "new best friend", also the situation in Yemen [I think or was it Somalia ?] where the goverment perpetrated violence & murder on non muslims, Erodogan's attitude to that was muslim's don't do that sort of thing..........so why does Sharia law get carried out here by way of "honour" killings? mind you that happens in UK but that could be another subject for discussion.

There is no reason to assume that secularism, or for that matter democracy is threatened under a Muslim government. Islam, unlike the Turkish military, prescribes freedom of religion and the concept of democracy is deeply rooted in both Islamic theory and practice.

This government has already done much to democratize Turkey, but is not given the credit it deserves thanks to the Anti democratic Army Generals and their cronies among the nationalists, who are the real threat to democracy. :27:

Lynn you need to read up on Islam. Honour killings are by no means condoned in Islamic law, but on the contrary "unlawful killing" is condemned as being being "like killing the whole of mankind". Also it says in the Quran that those who buried the innocent girls alive (a common practice in pre Islamic days) will answer for it on Dooms Day. What Erdogan means by "Muslims don't do those things" is that you can't be a believeing Muslim and commit atrocities, and he is quite right about that!

Last edited by a moderator:

Guz1

Wasn't there a link on the forum yesterday to an Egyptian newspaper article claiming that Russia is Erdogan's new best friend?

Depending on what you read, you will find that Mr. Edogan is accused of:

selling out to the EU
undermining the secular state
cosying up to the Iranians
forging an alliance with Russia

Any or all or the above could be true. Any or all of the above could be wrong. Take your pick.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
'Wasn't there a link on the forum yesterday to an Egyptian newspaper article claiming that Russia is Erdogan's new best friend?'

Yes, I posted that as well Maria. How is that related to this though?

C

İ think that Erdoğan was hypocritcal when he (rightly)condemned the İsraeli attack on Gaza......but failed to condemn the atrocities in Somalia...where muslims were /are killing muslims

Saoirse

Wasn't there a link on the forum yesterday to an Egyptian newspaper article claiming that Russia is Erdogan's new best friend?

Depending on what you read, you will find that Mr. Edogan is accused of:

selling out to the EU
undermining the secular state
cosying up to the Iranians
forging an alliance with Russia

Any or all or the above could be true. Any or all of the above could be wrong. Take your pick.

I heard him and Brian Cowan were big buddies

mollag

Kipper restorer
Very rarely do you get the opposition saying nice things about the govt in power and they have been known to "gild the lily" somewhat.

I think the guy is right to talk to everyone, the cold war is over, britain cosies up to russia as well----thats what diplomacy and politcs is all about

Saoirse

Re: I have the same program

I find the status quo in Turkey fascinating

The militarys position vis a vis their "defence of Attaturks Turkey" raises the question is it ok to use undemocratic means to defend democracy-a massive debate!

mollag

Kipper restorer
But first though, is democracy a "one size fits all" form of govt?
We are not talking about democracy in Kuwait, Iraq or Afghan any more, quietly dropped and not mentioned any more.
I so remember Dubya spouting "we are bringing democracy and freedom to Iraqistan" not much sign of it after 8 years---WW2 was 6 years!.

It has failed in the majority of African countries so imho i feel that democracy is innapropriate in countries without a history of mature govt and we are crazy to keep trying to force this concept on them, after all is Gt Britain a true democracy?

Akasya

Postless Pointer
couldnt agree more

The form of "democracy" the west imposes is very flexible to say the least!

The promise of which is Shrouded in the rosy glow of a fading Andalusian sunset.

Steve.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom