blobby

buying property in Kemer, advice appreciated
Hi, we are considering buying a property in Kemer and would welcome any advice or thoughts on the matter. We understand that a new ski resort in Seki is opening next year which isn't too far from Kemer. Our main worry is that it is quite far out from the 'action' - with 3 children in their late teens I'm concerned it might not be the right area, however, prices are very reasonable and I feel it may be a good investment. Any thoughts?

merlin

Hi blobby and welcome to Turkish Living.

Are you thinking about moving here full time with your family or purchasing as a holiday home?

Merv!

GarryP

Hi Blobby, welcome to a very informative and enjoyable forum.

Firstly the subject of Turkish ski resorts has been posted recently. See the following article and Seki does get a mention although Lorraine states that plans for Seki have been put on hold or the moment.

http://www.turkishliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3158&highlight=seki

However, I have done a search on Seki on the web and didn't really find much apart from the following article on GuardianUnimited.

http://money.guardian.co.uk/movingoverseas/story/0,12344,1259238,00.html

How sure are you about this Ski resort opening up. Have you had it confirmed somewhere.
However, I don't think it should affect your decision too much. Turkish Ski resorts are generally small with just a few runs and not much in the way of challenging skiing for serious UK skiers to consider this for a weeks vacation.

If you are considering opening up the winter rental market, you may get a few takers as a matter of curiousity but I believe the costs may be a bit prohibitive for UK skiers as well.

Although the temptation to ski and also swim say in late march is very inviting and a great advertising plug.

I have been to Kemer and surrounding area's on a fortnights holiday a few years back and we had a great time there.

Good luck

merlin

blobby said:
Our main worry is that it is quite far out from the 'action' - with 3 children in their late teens I'm concerned it might not be the right area, however, prices are very reasonable and I feel it may be a good investment. Any thoughts?

If I didnt have any commitments here in Kusadasi I would be up there like a shot - Kemer has just about everything I could want.

Superb clean beaches - the cleanest resort I have seen in Turkey!

Fantastic scenery

Antalya shopping a 30 minute drive and Airport 1hr.

Enough bars and restuarants but still retaining its own character and ambience

Theres 2 or 3 all night Discos for the kids.

Merv!

Hi Blobby

as i dont know anything about Kemer,i cant exactly tell you about it.i just can advice Altinkum as i have been here for 5 years.and,it is getting more and more popular among British people.have a look at ourwebsite.

Email and WWW sites removed - please see forum rules on advertising

Last edited by a moderator:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Blobby, we are assuming in this thread that you are talking about Kemer by the sea and not Kemer between Seki and Fethiye. Is that right?

lorraine

Non Active Member
Kemer if this is the one near to Fethiye it is approx 30-45min by car, the scenery is lovely and Kemer itself is very very Turkish, the properties that are being built for foreigners is still a bit further out from Kemer town, there is nothing to do for foreign children and all the bars are typically Turkish and still male dominated. The town is not large and a 10 minute stroll browsing the shops and that is it, they have not yet tapped into the foreign market. This is ideal as a retreat and for people that enjoy their own company or are willing to try to integrate into the Turkish life. Winter in Kemer without your own transport could cause a few problems, the dolmus run is infrequent and virtually nothing from 6.30pm in the winter months. Maybe one day it will change but not for the foreseeable future.

Seki is still another 45min drive by car, there is a ski lift there but not yet installed, it has been lying around and rusting for the last 4 years, promises of a ski resort has been on the cards for many years, but definitely not next year, there are estate agents advertising property for sale promoting the opening of a ski resort, this is just not happening yet. The builder of our property has a house in Seki and when I ask him of skiing there he just laughs and says if you want to. Winter in seki is beautiful and picturesque during the day and you feel in the wilderness once nightfalls, also dolmus service is very hit and miss and definitely non existent in the evenings. Also, in the winter the roads are treacherous and parts of the village blocked. There is skiing in Seki but on the Antalya side. but from Seki Mugla side it is approx 150-200km.

Kemer on the Antalya side is totally different, it is predominately German and Russian, everything is price in Euros and first spoken foreign language is German. Kemer is approx 1hr transfer time from Antalya, it has a large town with many shops, pretty harbour and nice walks lovely scenery, in winter the dolmus service finishes at 9pm very little open at night. In the winter because of the proximity of the mountains close to the town the nights are exceptionally cold. The rainfall expected in January makes the area prone to serious flooding.

blobby

Thank you all for your quick and informative responses. I have obviously got a lot to learn about Turkey, I didn't realise there were 2 Kemers. The Kemer I'm talking about is the small town in Mugla region, not the one nearer to Antalya. Thanks for the info about the ski situation - obviously skiing is not to be relied upon as an attraction. We intend to keep the villa just for ourselves and extended family and friends so renting is not a problem. Thanks again for the info - we've a lot to think about.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
The Kemer near to Fethiye is a very nice little town, and as Lorraine says, it is not yet developed as a tourist spot. It is set in the most fantastic scenery of the E┼čen River valley and only a few miles away are the historic sites of Xanthos and Patara. When you are next there, park the car on the bridge which crosses the river south of the town and take a walk down the river bank for a few miles. I guarantee you will not have seen more delightful scenery.

Your kids are reaching that age when they will not want to holiday with you anyway - so dump the kids, think of yourself, and buy in a fantastic bit of the world - spend their inheritance on yourself.

Ian

blobby

Ian, probably the most sensible piece of advice we'll ever have! Thanks for that, it really made me smile.

kadin

Yes I have also been to Kemer, beautiful place I would move there tomorrow permanently if I could.

Maybe there is a Kemer forum somewhere out there for help and advice.

GarryP

kadin said:
Maybe there is a Kemer forum somewhere out there for help and advice.

I'm sure Mushtaq could arrange sonething here ... although it's a bit confusing as the kemer talked about here is the smaller of the 2 kemer's. I think most people when hearing about kemer will assume its the largest kemer nearer to Antalya ... whereas the kemer discussed hear is the smaller kemer somewhere near Fethiye (I couldn't even find this one on the map!)

merlin

Garry, the locals call it Fethiye Kemer for that same reason.

Theres one point I would like to follow up on in respect of living in Kemer, highlighted by your post Garry.

Kemer is very conservative and still very old fashioned as a town. Its main activity in the area is its industrial estates.

I do wonder how someone living there would cope with the language barriers.

ok. Its conveniently placed for Fethiye, but you dont want to be running into Fethiye everytime you need food stocks or a kilo of mince meat from Gima.

Kemer could be very hard for the smallest of house problems when you cant speak the lingo.... in Fethiye most tradesmen speak enough English to get by, hence when the time comes you need a plumber in an emergency whats the option? ring Fethiye?

Just worth considering in the living plan.

Merv!

dollygal

Dollygal
Hi, I am a new member.I see all these questions and answers about Kemer (Fethiye) were from a few years ago. We have just put down a deposit on a property near Kemer at a new complex called the Country Club. Has anyone had any experiences with this and/or the construction company - Infinity Express Construction? It sounds as if it may still be a little remote in winter, although it was certainly beautiful in September!

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It's such a pity that you didn't ask your question before putting down a deposit.

There have been several mentions in the past on other forums about the Infinity Express properties in Kemer and the problems of land slippage during the winter.

I'll try to find a couple of links for you.

Carolyn

We bought our house in Kemer through Infinity - we were the first Brits in the village. I think they saw us as ambassadors - we went through an "interview" with the mayor who was keen to know why we wanted to buy in the village before we were taken to see the house.

We had a very good service from Infinity who renovated the house for us, and we couldn't fault them - at the time. However the personnel have changed considerably since then. We know people who own villas built by Infinity and have heard of all the problems they have had with poor build quality, subsiding pools and dodgy doings on security and maintenance charges.

A few years ago I couldn't have recommended Infinity more highly. Now I couldn't recommend them, even to my worst enemy.

Carolyn

merlin said:
Garry, the locals call it Fethiye Kemer for that same reason.

Theres one point I would like to follow up on in respect of living in Kemer, highlighted by your post Garry.

Kemer is very conservative and still very old fashioned as a town. Its main activity in the area is its industrial estates.

I do wonder how someone living there would cope with the language barriers.

ok. Its conveniently placed for Fethiye, but you dont want to be running into Fethiye everytime you need food stocks or a kilo of mince meat from Gima.

Kemer could be very hard for the smallest of house problems when you cant speak the lingo.... in Fethiye most tradesmen speak enough English to get by, hence when the time comes you need a plumber in an emergency whats the option? ring Fethiye?

Just worth considering in the living plan.

Merv!

Sorry, it's back to back but I'll go and sit on the naughty step when I've finished! Just read this old post of Mervs. Wish I had seen it before! One of the biggest attractions for us is the fact that it is Turkish and, god forbid, the locals speak Turkish!

There is very little we have needed that we haven't been able to buy in the village - we have an excellent butchers shop, plenty of locantas, hardware stores, electrical retailers, builders merchants etc. etc. We have bought sand, cement, gravel, timber, paint, screws, nails etc. etc. as well as sobas, furniture, curtains, wrought ironwork, oh the list is never ending. Even bought a scooter on our last trip. We are regular visitors to the shops in the village and we prefer to spend our money there rather than in Fethiye. It gives something back to the village.

And yes, we have had to learn Turkish words to buy things but so what? For us that's what it's all about!

We have been to weddings, circumcision parties, and feasts rememering hte dead. We have been given food, gifts and advice from neighbours.

The mosque is a stone's throw away and from the time we wake in the morning until we go to bed at night we know without a doubt we are in Turkey, which is just as we want it!

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Sounds like you really like where you are, good on ya.

Carolyn

JEANNIE said:
Sounds like you really like where you are, good on ya.

Oh we do Jeannie! There's nowhere we'd rather be! There are prettier places no doubt but what we love is that it is a large down to earth honest to goodness Turkish village with warts n all!

There is something going on all the time, it doesnt batten down the hatches from October to March - life goes on regardless of the season.

We have made some wonderful friends there and we're blessed in having opportunities to integrate with the local people and to share in their way of life!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom