Lizie

buying a property
Hi I have been to Turkey a few times. We went to Altinkum this year and i am thinking of buying a place there. Any advise ?

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
buying a property
Hi and welcome............well if you read all the advice on here you may get put off. The forum has every bit of advice you will ned and loads you wont. Basic advice and best of all buy a resale with all the documentation and problems solved and you will get a bargain.

But I am sure loads of members will come on here with very long posts advising you more in depth in their postings. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Peregrine

buying a property
as I said in the reply to your other post (essentially its "be careful and "take your time")

keep thinking

despite what the agents tell you there plenty for sale and they aint selling fast

I would recommend you holiday there for a couple of weeks before you decide to buy. Take the time to look around and find out where the beaches, restaurants etc are - than decide how close you want to be

hey, you might not like it or there might be somewhere nicer - like Akbuk which is just down the road

why do you want to buy? its a real headache owning a place abroad. You could get a lifetime of holidays (anywhere you want) with the money.

if you are thinking of renting it out - think again. Is there a rental market? what are the rates like? (dont rely on the emlak to tell you the truth, find out yourself by looking at the availability calendars of rental places on sites like villarenters, ask others on here for their experiences and check out the other posts on buying and renting). how many weeks are you likely to get? how many do you need to break even

then, when you are sure you want to buy, and sure its Altinkum you want, do it and enjoy it

good luck

bobthenob

Non Active Member
buying a property
Even though l have mentioned this many times before in buying a resale only to avoid such issues as the absence of the tapu[stated Kat Multiyeti],which qualifies you as the owner of the property.But there are some very honest and honourable agents out there that will keep to their word.lf you wish to go through an estate agent,then l recommend ,Crescent Homes and also Turkish Key Homes.

lf you wish to do it privately with the help of people's advice then l suggest you speak to as many ex-pats here before you even consider buying.There are a lot of bargains here and easy to bag a bargain.

Do not reveal your budget to any one,including the one showing you around.Always demand to see the title deed and if it isn't there then suggest going to the register office to see if the property is on the list,lf you are thinking of a new build ,that is.

Your the one in the driving seat and don't let them dictate to you of the properties that are not of interest to you.lf they do walk away,there are plenty more properties that will suit you.

Once you have found the property you want,l suggest you use the service from Crescent Homes that provides a very thorough service in searching the properties history.Does the builder have debts,is the tapu in place,is it illegally built on the land,is it built to a good standard etc.

Be careful as well not to fall for the estate agents solicitor,l suggest an independent one from recommendations,due to the possibility of being a victim of a corrupt solicitor.

Please read these links.
http://www.turkishliving.com/forums...ry-evil/21614-avoiding-fraudulant-emlaks.html

http://www.turkishliving.com/forums...orth-cyprus/22527-advice-buying-property.html

Last edited:

modaboy

buying a property
Don't buy, rent.

Leave all the hassle and loss to the numpties who bought when prices were much higher and are now stuck with their white elephants.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
buying a property
Leave all the hassle and loss to the numpties who bought when prices were much higher and are now stuck with their white elephants.

Or, on the other hand, if you're confident that you want to buy, now's the time, when property prices are very low and you've got the opportunity for a good long-term investment.

buying a property
Hi Lizie, welcome to the forum.

We would be delighted to help - just send us an email with your requirements, our banner is on the top right of the forum.

Carol

Tess

buying a property
First of all, hi and you are very welcome to the forum. I have property in Altinkum also. My advice to you is be very careful and do your homework diligently. To avoid any unwanted stress use a reputable agent to buy from. This forum is a mine of information and take time to go through it, you will be able to tell the negative from the good honest genuine advice you find on here,no rush plenty of places for sale and to quote an old saying "If its for you, it won't go past you" so take your time and check things out. I won't prattle on in a long winded post but good luck in your search and I hope all goes well for you.

modaboy

buying a property
wj

Or, on the other hand, if you're confident that you want to buy, now's the time, when property prices are very low and you've got the opportunity for a good long-term investment.

Now is not the time. Prices are going down and there are literally millions of properties half-built all across the country.

How is it an investment when there are no signs whatsoever of an improvement in prices? Trying to rent it out won't bring in much as the market is saturated.

Of course you can rely on the ex-pats' fantasy that when Turkey gets into the EU, magically your place will double or triple in value. Of course people were saying that 10 years ago and no doubt will say that in 10 year's time.

Tess

buying a property
Modaboy I am not without my troubles, but I love my wee place in Altinkum, I could have purchased much easier if I had used forums and reputable firms like Crescent. I know lots are out there but some folks still want to buy believe it or not. It is not for us to tell them to forget it, folks will do what they want but it is good of us to try and direct them away from the pitfalls some of us encountered, try to see that. I am angry and pissed at lots of things too you know but I think it unfair to burst the bubble of those still wanting the dream. The dream is achievable if you go about it correctly!!!

Last edited:

panther

buying a property
Definitely, a resale with snags and paperwork intact. I bought five years ago and every holiday was spent sorting one thing or another out. Now I am really enjoying the apartment with two balconies, one wrap around and the sun comes on both of them.

To me, in hindsight wished I bought a place just to walk into with suitcase and "Bob's your Uncle."

Members also have properties for sale in this forum if you look.

Tess

buying a property
Hindsight is a wonderful thing Modaboy, wish I had a pound for every grey hair I have achieved, but as they say no point in crying over spilled milk, I will live to fight another day and as much as I have probs I am working through them and with a strong positive outlook and not being bird mouthed I will get there. I still remain happy with what I have got and I hope and pray anyone in any trouble, good positive luck to see it through.

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
buying a property
The right price, the right location and a reputable builder...then you will enjoy many holidays in your new home :)

jcrian

buying a property
This new member posted to get advice not to watch a 'slanging match'

Please keep this thread on topic.

Thankyou.

judi

Is the sun shining?
buying a property
Hi there and welcome to the forum!

We bought off plan in 2004 and haved enjoyed every minute of our time in Turkey so much that we intend to retire there in the near future. I think we are in great location and our apartment rents out well too.
There is alot of info/advice on this forum and its a good place to start some research about the pros and cons of buying. I guess, as in UK, its about getting what you want for the price you want to pay. The buying process is different in Turkey so its good to understand it before you start I think.
It will be great to hear how you get on.........

gazzer

buying a property
Hi
Welcome to the forum.. as for advice... keep an open mind as comments on the forum are each individuals thoughts and everyone is different.. first work out what your requirements are ie: holiday home, place to retire/live etc as this will determine where the best location for your property. No use buying a summer holiday apt if you are intending to live there in the winter as it will be deserted!! Once you have seen different locations then haggle hard as there are a large amount of bargains to be had. If i can help in any way with more info just PM me and i will try to help. All the best

Gary

Latest Posts

Top Bottom