jewel

Bunnions !!!!
Just wandering if anyone can fill me in on the operation to remove bunnions.After 30 odd years of the blighters I have decided to get rid once and for all.It has took such a long time due to commitments-re bringing up a family and working so just could'nt take the time of my feet.I have to say that these arn't ordinary run of the mill bunnions,oh no... they are huge angry red devils and they have been the bane of my life.I have never been able to wear nice dressy shoes or strappy sandals and in my quest to find a comfy shoe have turned into someone with an obsession for shoe shops much to my Husbands annoyance, it's always the same ohhh those look comfy,not too high nice and wide to fit the offending bunnions into- but always the same outcome when I come to wear them ( sheer hell !!!!) anyway I am digressing so...... I went to my GP today and whipped of my shoes and told him of my woe,to which he replied 'well they must be the worst feet I have seen in 20 odd years as a GP' !!!!! but I must warn you that it is a very painfull op and the orthopeadic surgeon will tell you the same,I then asked could they do both at once to get it over and done with,the look he shot me said it all NO,he says that not only is it painfull but I would be incapacitated for a while.So can anyone who has had it done tell me different? he says sometimes people decide not to have them done after all and just soldier on,however I am definately getting them done PAIN is my middle name lol, I am hopeing that by next year I will be strutting my stuff down Ataturk Boulevarde in my faux Jimmy Choo's. Thanks for any feedback. jewel x

carolk

R.I.P
Bunnions !!!!
Oh poor you Jewel!! I don't have any bunions or corns so I cant offer any advice - just lots and lots of sympathy. It sounds very painful!

jewel

Bunnions !!!!
Hi Carol,yes it is painfull and also it rules my life-for example I can't walk with my feet flat so tend to walk with my feet cocked so look bow legged from the back,by walking like this I keep the pressure of the bunnions.I am also very vain so come hell or high water if we are out for the night I have to wear something that slightly resembles modern so this means I am in agony untill I can sit down somewhere.If I go shopping I can only traipes round for so long even with relatively flat shoes or trainers on.To cap it all because of the way I walk my feet are thick with hard skin( SORRY EVERYONE to much information) and so I am forever haveing to de-scale so to speak lol.I can't stand anyone touching them so could'nt go for a pedicure although even if I could I could'nt put the poor soul who does them through such a nightmare. jewel x

judi

Is the sun shining?
Bunnions !!!!
Hi Jewel!
As a fellow sufferer who has had hers removed I would say go for it! It is painful but you can take anti-inflammatories and painkillers and you are limited in what you can do for a few weeks but it has all been worth it.
I had my first done in 2007 and all went well, soon on my feet and back at work after 3 months and had second done this year in February, same really but back to work sooner.
Now I have 2 gorgeous straight, pain free feet and couldnt be happier - great job done.

As for Ataturk and the Jimmy Choos, well I could never walk in heels before and that hasnt changed!!

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on

jewel

Bunnions !!!!
Oh Judi thanks for that can't wait now, I just needed to know that it actually works and one day I will be able to walk painfree oh what blisssss !!!!!!!!!!. thanks jewel x

carolk

R.I.P
Bunnions !!!!
Well Jewel, from what Judi says you should go for it - sounds like an absolute nightmare!!! We are all on our feet so much, its just something you take for granted. Good luck.

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
Bunnions !!!!
No experience so no advice to offer but good luck in your quest for a pain free life.
Carol x

Ava

Bunnions !!!!
A friend of one of the girls in my office had both feet done recently. Her GP said she was too young (25) and wouldn't refer her! He said that there were 40/50 year olds that he reckoned were too young for this op!!! She ended up going private. After 6 weeks off her feet and some physiotherapy, she was back at work all be it with a mixture of crutches/sticks. She was lucky she could work from home so didn't have any loss of earnings. We were all anxious to hear how she got on, in her words it was painful but not as painful as her feet at the end of a night out.

Go for it and look forward to new shoes and pedicures. Good luck and keep us ladies informed.

jewel

Bunnions !!!!
Hi Ava, well although I am not too bothered about the pain I think if I am honest I would find being of both feet a bit to limiting in what I can do,I have a Husband who can just about boil the kettle so would need to be a bit active in order not to starve lol, my left foot is by far the worst so maybe I will start with that first but just wish I could hve them both done pain and all but without haveing to be an invalid for a couple of months.Thanks for your reply jewel x

Ava

Bunnions !!!!
I did say she was 25 lol I'm sure she doesn't have a significant other to look after. I've seen her - she's probably got lots of adoring boys running after her.

Harem

I've cliqued
Bunnions !!!!
My friend had hers done - one at a time - and she did need looking after for a few weeks each time. Maybe you could find a friend or relative who could come in for a while each day?? Good luck. It is worth it.

GnD

Bunnions !!!!
Hi Jewel,

My Mum had them done, over 30 years ago, when my baby brother was only 1. I had to do everything (actually I did anyway Mum was a single parent and she had three jobs!) for well over two months.

She had them both done at the same time and said as painful as it was, she was so grateful to get them done together.

Yes she could then wear pretty shoes. Your quote of squeezing in regardless and adding to the pain was so my Mum before her op.

IF you think you can take the pain insist on the two done simultaneously. You have the added advantage of one op, and knowing you don't have to go through it all again.

I do understand the pain from the bunions as Mum had to raise her feet, put them in cold water bowls, take pain relief etc anything when they were hurting. This was daily as she cared in home at a handicapped home.

All the very best Jewel, and we look forward to the photo of your first pretty pair of shoes :)
Debbie x

Turley

Bunnions !!!!
Hi
I feel for you. All the girls in my family have bunnions.two of my sisters got theres done one had to have them done again.Me and my eldest sister have not as the doctor said they didnt need to be done. (He should feel the pain) But like you say you can not wear those nice shoes.The only shoes i buy are called Pavers very comfortable you can get some nice designes.
My friend next door had both her feet done at the same time.(she is in her early 40s)and wears high heels no problem. Go for it.

lizzy

:218by:

Tess

Bunnions !!!!
Hi Jewel, sounds so painful. I know nothing of bunions only that they are so so sore, Life is far far too short Jewel to suffer, if I were you, I would go for it, and then strut your stuff hon. Take care.

jewel

Bunnions !!!!
Oh I am definately going for it no problem there,when I think about the pain I have suffered over the years and the tears I have shed it will be a blo-dy releif beleave you me but not looking forward to being out of action for a long time.On the serious side I am not doing it just for the cosmetic reason (although I am not adverse to that ) but truly for the releif it will bring.Thanks for all the feedback it's great conversing with people who are in the know. jewel x

Bunnions !!!!
Bunions affect ballet dancers and those with flat feet, both of which apply to me (I did ballet when very young and the feet were forming).
I had my first bunion op when in my early thirties but the bunion (this happens quite a lot) grew back again and I had it opped again a few months ago together with the hammer toe next to it. The other foot also had a bunion and I had that opped about 10 years ago and insallah it is not a problem yet. The hammer toe next to it is becoming so though and hammers and bunions grow together because of the foot formation.

janm

Bunnions !!!!
I had mine done, and opted to have them both done together. I was home 3 days after the op and in plaster for 6 weeks. I was told not to walk except for going to the loo, and to keep my feet raised as much as possible. However I was walking with crutches after about 2 weeks. The pain is as bad as everyone say, and it doesn't stop when the plasters come off. The nice shoes I was looking forward to buying had to wait as the swelling didn't go down for several months. A nurse friend told me to expect to be 'normal' in about 18 months, I think it took about a year before the swelling and the pain had gone completely. I did both together because I'm a bit of a woos and I knew that if I had one done and it was really bad I wouldn't go back for the second. However, yes it hurts and yes its inconveinent but it is well worth it in the end. Go for it!

jewel

Bunnions !!!!
Well it's here my op is on Tuesday, sounds a breeze they explained at the pre-op checks and the consultation that in some cases the bone is filed down,however in my case they are breaking the bone and re-aligning the toe. The big bonus is its a day procedure so out in the afternoon. My only worry is that as our home is up a hill which at present is unpassable due to the compacted snow and ice, I am able to walk down to the main rd to get a taxi but not certain how I will get back up the hill after the op,(perhaps hubby can push me up in a wheelbarrow lol.) so please please melt snow befor Tuesday afternoon or at least make it safe for a vehicle to get up. jewel x

Latest Posts

Top Bottom