B

Bunny4jeff

Building alteration to villa...
Hi,
Any advice would be welcome... we would like to create an extra living space using our patio area. The idea we have is to wall up the outside edge of the patio, adding glass sliding doors or windows, to enclose the patio enabling its use in winter. We are in the Fethiye area; not a tourist area, if that makes a difference we don't know.. but we have had conflicting opinions on whether we are allowed to do this in Fethiye. Some say yes, but most say not in Fethiye! I realise it will involve changing the Tapu, but is planning permission required as well? The plan we have will not involve exceeding the building's "footprint" size, just making more use of some of its space. Rather than go ahead (we have got a few quotes) and risk the Belediye turning up to pull it down :closed_2:, I wonder if anyone knows the rule on this in Fethiye; has done the same or similar, any repercussions/expenses etc. None of the builders who we consulted for quotes, mentioned anything about the Tapu, or any regulations applying. Before going to a solicitor, we wondered if anyone else had done the same, and if its going to be worth it all.
:thanks:

maggie

Well I know I dont live in Fethiye I live in Akbuk but;

I wanted to enclose a mid balcony knock thro into the bedroom and thus make a large upstairs living room.Glass roof,and sliding windows.

Up to about two weeks before we were due to move over here I thought it had the go ahead.

Unfortunatly I was told this wasennt allowed as it was in theory extending my home.How I dont know because I wasennt building anything on just filling an existing balcony in.I went to the local Belidye and complained bitterly still to be told it wasennt allowed to be filled in with glass.

Way round it I have plastic walls half way up and mosquito net windows, in summer I put curtains up and have slept out there (quite cool).

Im going to let it all die down for a few years and eventually hope I can put glass windows in.
It seems such a waste of space just having a balcony stuck on your house doing nothing.

Personally I would go to your local Belidye planning office and ask them if your allowed to do what you want rather than run the risk of doing it and having it pulled down.

Hugs Maggie xxx

Harem

I've cliqued
There are several apartments in Tasyaka where the balconies have been "filled in" with double glazed units. They come under the Fethiye belediye so it might be allowed.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
I've heard of a couple of cases where owners have put up removable glazing around terraces or balconies for the winter and have been forced to remove it permanently by the Zabita.

If you're thinking of putting up any kind of permanent or semi-permanent structure I'd make sure that you have written permission from the relevant council department to do so.

panther

Does this mean I can't enclose my balcony by adding windows and a door. I am in Altinkum.

I have two balconies and I don't really use one of them. I was thinking of using it for storage, suitcases and cleaning equipment.

I have noticed a balcony enclosed in the next block.

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
As I said in my last post.

If you're thinking of putting up any kind of permanent or semi-permanent structure I'd make sure that you have written permission from the relevant council department to do so.

Just because a neighbour has done it, or someone on a forum knows someone who's done it, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's OK for you to do it.

beldibi

I will second KKOB. The only way that I have seen, that seems to be acceptable, is to install `tent walls`. Similar to those on the rear of a boat, that you can unzip and roll up.

maggie

As I said in my last post.

Just because a neighbour has done it, or someone on a forum knows someone who's done it, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's OK for you to do it.

I will 3rd that as I also thought that as Id seen it elsewhere why cuddnt I do it.There appears to be a different ruling on different sitesi,s too as people just up the road from me have filled in balconies with glass doors etc. No problems.Hugs Maggie xx

REDDERS

We have just gone thro' HELL this last week,our turkish next door neighbour is having his house totally remodled,we are front row on a site in bodrum.Before we arrived here at christmas,he had built an L shaped terrace across the front & down one side,we asked our site 'manager'(i use this name with tongue in cheek !) if we could do the same. Problem yok he said,just don't build past you wall at front of your house.Bearing in mind we are midway in a row of 10 houses across the front of our site & our house is the furthest forward of all in the row,our wall was forward of all the others (hope that makes sense).
We engaged the services of the builder who built next doors terrace,paid him some up front money and away we went.After constructing the base they went away for 2 weeks to let the concrete set.They came back a week last friday at 9am& started to build the wall around the terrace,when our site manager came running up & said stop stop !.'Someone' hade phoned the beledieye & complained the terrace was too big.I was told the officials would be coming round on monday last to inspect & we could be made to crash the lot.
Monday,tuesday,came & went we stayed in waiting & waiting, wednesday i had had enough,jane & i were at breaking point,& maybe thrown 2k away,so i went to beledieye office in bodrum with a turkish friend,found the 'top man' & he explaned we had been told what we could / could not do by site manager & followed his instructions to the letter,also i was 'poorly' recently having had a bad heart attack & would like him to visit asap.He & a zabita official arrived at 9am last thursday,came straight to our house,ignoring the site manager,& with sign language & a few turkish words from my phrase book told him the whole truth.Three hours later we got the ok from him, just that we can only have a 40cm wall & we must have flowers/plants trailing over the wall......phew.!!!!!!.Builders back tomorrow & hopefully all back on track.
Now,we will never know who was so jealous to 'dob' us in & next door has done more building than us,but is a turkish doctor in istanbul & we are are foreigners.But we took the bull by the horns & took the matter into our own hands & won....mind you the site manager has not spoken to me since.....do i care? YOK !!!!

regards,martin....

B

Bunny4jeff

Thanks for the replies folks, it has cleared the muddy waters somewhat! We had been told earlier by an estate agent that you cannot build enclosures around balconies using glass or other permanent materials in Fethiye, but other people said different. We will just build the roofs instead (our balconies are open at the top, no protection from the sun, wind or rain), at least this will help keep the rain from pouring straight down in sheets from the roof - yes we have no guttering either, but thats another tale.... thanks again, as you have probably saved us a lot of money and hassle. We will just fit washable curtains or blinds, no glass to keep clean, :77wu: and will be cooler in summer. We're not likely to be inundated with guests staying in winter, although with the British winter being what it is, you never know....:468bo:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom