stargazer

Building a social life in Yalikavak
Is it true as many people say that the only way to meet new friends and have a social life is by going to bars and singing Kareoke! Is there no other form of entertainment to be found eg salsa/linedancing, amateur dramatics, cookery courses, art classes in the Bodrum area.
We have been living here for 6 months and are eager to meet new friends.
We like nothing more than social gatherings just to chat, share a meal and feel part of a community.
Any other like minded people out there????

Stargazer & Mrs

Harem

I've cliqued
Yes, there are, but unfortunately, we're not in the Bodrum area. All those passtimes you mention are in short supply, unfortunately. Perhaps we should start some?? My husband is a musician, but when he advertised for other musicians to, perhaps, start up a band, there was only one reply. Similarly when he tried to instigage a running club. It certainly looks to me as though the majority of ex-pats only want to follow the entertainments you suggested.

Saoirse

I understand what you mean stargazer

I too dont fancy frequenting bars or indulging in karoke to meet new firends

Thats why I hold weekly crack, crystal meth and charlie evenings.

We often play monopoly too.

Saoirse

lol Harem, so have I

I wouldnt know one drug from the other. Just thought I would post a (slightly) funny reply

Harem

I've cliqued
OK Philip, but now I look forward to hearing some serious replies - if there are any!!!!! And not only for Bodrum, but for this part of the world, too.

EVELYNNE

evelynne
We successfully had a ladies lunch in Akbuk where around 14 members on here met up. Im sure if you started a thread asking for a meet up for evening dinner , cards night or just social, im sure yoiu;ll will get a take up and then take it from there.

Good Luck

Eve

Harem

I've cliqued
As I said, my husband tried to start things in the areas he is interested in, but met with an (almost) blank response, twice!! Maybe it could be a case of third time lucky!!

I hate Kareoke and English style bars ( dont fancy line dancing but I have started going to a Yoga class) I will watch this thread with interest!

Harem

I've cliqued
I'd be quite interested in amateur dramatics. Sitting in bars just sends me to sleep!!!

There ıs lots to do around the bodrum area,walkıng tours, book swaps, yoga dance a group of us meet up for lunch,dınner, fıshıng or just a walk,and yes we also go to the bars (not an advert!) but you cant just sıt back and waıt for somethıng to happen ask around,leave a message at your sıte offıce on your sıte....Jım.

pebble

there are lots of activities in bodrum that the expat community participate in. book club, lunch meeting, boat outings, beach outings, walking groups, ken mentioned most of them, hang out at the oasis, you are bound to spot someone who lives here, when they advertise the book sale to benefit the dogs, go and meet other foreigners, pick up a book or two or 20 and make friends with like minded people, if you go to the bars, thats the kind of people you will meet.
there are tons of classes, art, yoga, excercise, language, etc etc
if you look, you will find.........

Gazarra

Harem,

As soon as I've retired fulltime as against my present part-time position , I'll take your husband up on forming a band. I've been singing since I was 16 ,rock ,blues,soul etc. --- and I still do my own Elvis show once aweek.

Gazarra

dngood

Hi Stargazer,

There are some groups around, and like with any new experience you just have to dive in and get your feet wet, but take it from us, the first 6 months is the hardest.

It may be worth signing up to the free, fortnightly Bodrum Bulletin newsletter if you're not already. It'll give you an idea of what's happening. Every now and then there is a post encouraging like readers to meet up, whether it be for a photography group (issue 016), a Finance group (issue 007), or the EFT Circle (issue 12).

There are also many regular groups that meet with an international audience:

...to name but a few.

Apologies for the self-promotion, but helping people new to the peninsula in this manner was one of the key reasons I set up the Bulletin.

Dave.

P.S. regarding line-dancing, we have a reader looking for someone to be a 'leader' for a local group, but no-one's been brave enough to come forward yet!

Last edited:

waterbaby

Is it true as many people say that the only way to meet new friends and have a social life is by going to bars and singing Kareoke! Is there no other form of entertainment to be found eg salsa/linedancing, amateur dramatics, cookery courses, art classes in the Bodrum area.
We have been living here for 6 months and are eager to meet new friends.
We like nothing more than social gatherings just to chat, share a meal and feel part of a community.
Any other like minded people out there????

Stargazer & Mrs

Its not "the only way" to meet people but by getting out and about , going to bars and restaurants etc is a good start for meeting new people. You will llikely find some with the same interests as you and as you said you have only lived here for 6 months you may not know alot of the locals (expats & turks) yet. Get down to the beach, walk around town you will meet lots of people and maybe you can start up your own "entertainment" . There is plenty to do in and around bodrum.

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Best way to meet new folks is get a dog -- I meet loads of people whilst walking my dogs -- pop in to see us anytime for a natter !

stargazer

Thanks for your interest Hareum - Saoirse - Evelynne.
We will see what else turns up on the forum
Unfortunately Hareum I don't play a musical instrument and the last time I did any running was 40 years ago when I was 22 and her husband came home unexpectedly!!!

Stargazer.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom