pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Building a care Home
A friend of mine has a plan to build a care home in Turkey . no problem for him has he's turkish . He wants to build to 5* hotel standards in quiet area nr a beach . for both Europeans and Turkish . Thing is would any of us use this facility if its available ??? I promised to ask your opinions !

Also if you could open a buisness { which most of you can't } what would it be ???

If i've posted this in wrong place i hope mods will move it .......Diane

Tess

Building a care Home
Not sure Diane, not living there. However I would say the trend here is Private Care homes are quite expensive. In Turkey there would be no facility I would imagine to have the cost subsidised by the Govt, Social Services etc, I wonder is that right. So therefore i think a consideration for your friend would be 'how many could afford to have say long term care' - just a thought.
Hmm if I could open a business I'm not sure, I'm not even sure I could run a business.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Building a care Home
I agree with you Tess, a difficult one. If he is Turkish, easy,but if not, Pineapple, what kind of home would it be?

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Building a care Home
Like an old peoples / retirement home Lesley . but much cheaper than we have in the Uk . set in Landscaped gardens etc .and of course with nurseing staff , Maybe with pensions and health insurance it would be affordable . I can judge only by two people at Antalya airport who had come to turkey for hip replacments at less than the half the cost of private in the UK . I will ask him about the Turkish paitents . which i suppose the govt would subsidise to some extent . If i had a villa but then became ill and needed care i'd happily sell the villa to be looked after by international staff , in 5* accomadation . but thats just me , I think it would be a solution to people worried about getting old in Turkey .........Diane

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Building a care Home
I seem to remember reading an article sometime this year about a large complex being built somewhere near Antalya as a retirement/nursing facility for elderly Norwegians. I'll try to dig it out or perhaps one of the members from that area knows about it.

I've just found the article about care for the elderly in the HDN. Scroll down the page to Health villages for the elderly

Turkey needs to revamp health tourism - Hürriyet Daily News and Economic Review

Last edited:

scattea

Building a care Home
KKOB,
I saw a similar article in arenanews a while back saying one of the hotels in Belek had agreed to offer this service to a Scandanavian country, I could have looked and added a link but I think it was about a year or so ago.

val2661

Building a care Home
I don't think even the wealthy Turks would use it Diane, as every family, rich or poor, seems to look after the elderly very well. However, for the many Europeans who have moved to Turkey for retirement, I think it would be an excellent idea, especially if it was at a reasonable price. Like you said, the option to sell one's property and pay for your care is a very good one.

If I was allowed to run a business here, I would rent a large flat space with easy access and run car boot sales twice weekly.

Val

Building a care Home
I think it is something that there might be a call for in the future. In UK we live in an area where many people came to retire,,,after a period of time one of them would either require nursing care or pass away,,,then the remaining person maybe couldnt cope by themselves and go into a care home. As a result there are many care homes in our area and are almost always full. This could happen in Turkey in the future,,,,and maybe rich turks would pay for good quality care,,however would it be "international" care? How is he going to obtain work permits for international nurses??

Summertime

Golden Girls
Building a care Home
There is a place in Antalya called Scandinvian Rehab Center AS, Antalya.
Norway also have a place in Kusadasi.
Casas Heddy, Lanzarote, The Norwegian health care, Cran Canaria, and they have in Thailand, Montenegro and other countrys.

Building a care Home
Who would provide the personal care required?Most people who have gone into hospitals have remarked that the nursing staff do not give basic care-which would be essential for elderly residents.

pembelu

Building a care Home
the staff -if turkish would have to speak decent english (in case those using the place didnt speak Turkish themselves) and most who know decent english would work in tourism for more money and more fun and in season would they?I think if the bosses paid well and recruited well it would make all the difference.I agree that most well off eldery turks will be cared for by family members-where/when possible- is how it seems.I know where i would rather be cared for- at home with those i know. wouldnt the language and culture barrier feel odd for some..depending on thier needs.If indeed international staff could work there along side english speaking turkish staff it could work- Not like you want to have lingo problems even if its just about arse wiping or the evening menu. the little things count when ur unwell (from experience of hospitals) and i doubt this is any different once you age and have a whole other set of issues to live by day to day and require care..or have i just imagined them all as patients as opposed to residents?

Summertime

Golden Girls
Building a care Home
the staff -if turkish would have to speak decent english (in case those using the place didnt speak Turkish themselves) and most who know decent english would work in tourism for more money and more fun and in season would they?I think if the bosses paid well and recruited well it would make all the difference.I agree that most well off eldery turks will be cared for by family members-where/when possible- is how it seems.I know where i would rather be cared for- at home with those i know. wouldnt the language and culture barrier feel odd for some..depending on thier needs.If indeed international staff could work there along side english speaking turkish staff it could work- Not like you want to have lingo problems even if its just about arse wiping or the evening menu. the little things count when ur unwell (from experience of hospitals) and i doubt this is any different once you age and have a whole other set of issues to live by day to day and require care..or have i just imagined them all as patients as opposed to residents?
In Kusdasi and Antalya the staff are Norwegians and Turk.

pembelu

Building a care Home
interesting -what language do they communicate in?- the turks with the Norwegians?

Last edited:

Summertime

Golden Girls
Building a care Home
Pembelu, no, they are Norewegian staff, Antalya, and the patients are Norwegians, but they have also Turkish staff, like Spanish in Spain.
In Kusadasi,(Balcova) Turkish Staff, speaking english. International.

Last edited:

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
Building a care Home
...Not like you want to have lingo problems even if its just about arse wiping or the evening menu...

When you put it like that personally I would be heading for Swizterland not Turkey...and I'd only need a one way ticket!! (to the suicide clinic) LOL

Diane, in answer to your question does your friend mean a care home or a nursing home (the latter involving a higher level of care - heard stories of people being turfed out of care homes if their needs/level of care required increase (incontinence, dementia etc).
The staffing of such a place would be interesting. Personally, I have no experience of healthcare/hospitals in Turkey - only what I have read on TLF -but I understand the nurses do not do anything apart from the medical side of things. I think it was in Voices newspaper that I read a suggestion of arranging to be hospital buddies with someone if you settle in Turkey as you would need someone to help you during a hospital stay (dressing/washing/ toileting/getting drinks etc).
If this is the case and with the Turkish culture/mindset that you look after your elderly relatives would the role of care assistant be new or appeal to any potential employees?
I know people are saying you'd want to be looked after by staff of your own nationality/culture/language but surely it would be a nightmare to open/run a business that was solely dependant on foreign staff (and customers...and clients). Again, I have no experience of employment/running a business in Turkey, only what I have read on here.
It's been interesting to find out about these Scandinavian places - like most things I suppose they are there but you never have any cause to find out.
Best of luck to your friend with his venture - he could be on to a winner (after a lot of market research).
Carol x

Last edited:

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Building a care Home
When my mum was in hospital in Marmaris Hos[pital in intensive care there was Dr's and nurses who spoke english and mum was really seriously ill . I wasn't asked to do anything at all . But thats a Hospital . I think this is more of a retirement / care home But it could have a wing for a nurseing home as for language I think whatever country people come from most speak english . Even were i go in summer my Dr speaks english and most tourists are german dutch etc But all speak to Turkish in English . Oviously if its a care home it means just that ..Care of the Elderly .. if your paying for care then staff care for you not family coming in to do the job ..Just like old peoples home in England .. Beleieve me some of them in uk are not cared for very well i've seen it first hand ..we used to supply them with carpet . The private ones .. The govt ones are different but some not that good ....Diane

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Building a care Home

CONGRATULATIONS Pineapple1, our Grand Golden Girl you've just made 1,000 posts, lol

Oh my Golly I didn't know i talked so much ..Well well looks like i'm a member now !!!!!!! So your stuck with me . Well as long as we behave ourselves .. Diane .:focus::Flower::Flower::Flower::Flower::Flower::::Flower:::

Tess

Building a care Home
for Diane's 1000th post, you little chatterbox you !!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v2Su6PkenA&feature=related]YouTube - Congratulations Song[/ame]

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
Building a care Home
It may be a good idea for foreigners in later life who have gone there to retire and have no other family in Turkey.
Not sure it would be used by the Turkish who would have family looking after them.

I take this is a care home as opposed to needing medical treatment round the clock? Does your friend envisage this type of home for all? or people who have settled from other countries with/without family?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom