Sailor

Budget Travel Ireland collapse
Seen it on last nights news. Absolutely amazed about it. Ireland is sinking fast what no jobs, in debt up to the necks ,bank rrip offs and half the country under water! Where or when will it all end!?

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Not good news that.

There's a helpline telephone number on the website for any queries incidentally.

On a similar vein, I heard a discussion today on Radio Ulster that the ROI Exchequer will lose €1Billion this year due to ROI citizens doing their shopping in NI - that's a hell of a loss to the country and they must address it urgently or there'll be plenty more stories like this.

C

Last edited:

Sailor

Dead right there Ceemac. The funny thing is , public servants went on strike over expected paycuts and more taxes on thier wages,But those who did the early picket then headed north on their "unexpected day off" to do a spot of Xmas shopping. And you wonder where they get the saying ,"thats a bit Irish". Well deserved I say.
But we are gonna get hit very hard over here and I have a feeling some will not take it lying down.

Dellol

Sailor, since you obviously live in Ireland, you know the reasons the public servants went on strike was to due with the pension levy (I'm sitting on the fence on that one), but that was their reason.... You should also know that many, many people in the republic head North for shopping and Tuesday (Strike day) was no different than any other, I live beside the motorway and go the opposite direction every morning and every day this close to Christmas is the same, but of course the TV Cameras chose that day to make the Public Servants look bad.... People differ on their opinions re shopping in the North but you take a family with a few children, with luck one of them is still working, but we have all had a lot of paycuts in the Republic, in only the past year, with Christmas so near and Santa too..... while yes, we should be pumping money back into our economy, but can you really blame them when they can save so much money doing this????

Sailor

Sailor, since you obviously live in Ireland, you know the reasons the public servants went on strike was to due with the pension levy (I'm sitting on the fence on that one), but that was their reason.... You should also know that many, many people in the republic head North for shopping and Tuesday (Strike day) was no different than any other, I live beside the motorway and go the opposite direction every morning and every day this close to Christmas is the same, but of course the TV Cameras chose that day to make the Public Servants look bad.... People differ on their opinions re shopping in the North but you take a family with a few children, with luck one of them is still working, but we have all had a lot of paycuts in the Republic, in only the past year, with Christmas so near and Santa too..... while yes, we should be pumping money back into our economy, but can you really blame them when they can save so much money doing this????

The reason the public servants went on strike was for no more pay cuts and no more increase on the pension levy. Least you forget they have being paying this "new" pension levy since last Febuary.They also pay the increased income tax levy like the private sector.The private sector could name their price during the Celtic Tiger whereas public servants got paid the same week in week out.I know their jobs are safe for now but for how long,the McCarthy Report wants to cut 16000 jobs for the public sector. I have heard private workers saying ..its alright for you your job is safe. But I know friends who bought big cars,expensive clothes apartments ,houses and went out every weekend. No thought of a pension fund or put a bit aside for a rainy day.
The big supermarkets in the north were offering a pound stering to a euro for shopping in their stores. The big supermarkets near the border have had to drop their prices below cost price and the rest of the south then pays higher prices.Trust me I have had big paycuts since last year and more to come,and if I had the chance to go North I probably would but am too far south so we will just put up with less and less.:noidea:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom