v6cod

Living in Okcular
Brussels Sprout Shortage Looms
Looks like the UK's methane production will also be affected then. :wacko:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
I can't really see what the problem is. Faithful Dawn Patrollers and TOGs would have put their sprouts on to simmer in mid-November so they shouldn't be affected by the shortages. :wink:

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Plenty in Sainsburys yesterday ' These reports just cause panic buying . And its a known fact sprouts are better once they've had a frost on them . Why not get some proper farm labourers instead of machines ' This is the farmers being moaning minnies !!!! ..Diane

jcrian

Why not get some proper farm labourers instead of machines ' This is the farmers being moaning minnies !!!! ..Diane

With labourers picking the sprouts the cost would make them not viable for picking.

Secondly farmers can be fined (Brussels, no pun) for damaging their land if they use machinery on it in inclement weather. I had to stop the contractor cutting my hedges as the land was too wet and would have caused damage so he just cut the road hedges.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Pheww Think i'll have a paraceptol . This world just gets dafter by the minute .. Farmer owns a field and he can't drive a tractor on it ??? Surely thats what tractors are for and other farm machinery . Still what can you expect from Brussels ...Certainly not Sprouts
.........Diane

tomc1984

According to farmers, there is a strong chance that brussels sprouts will run short in supermarkets over the next couple of days. Snow and freezing temperatures have meant the harvest has had to abandoned in parts of the UK.

Sprout shortage as snow ruins Christmas crop - Telegraph

No less there then my kids would say, they HATE sprouts. My favourite vegetable as long as they are nice and crisp and not soggy.

dalyansteve

I have just been informed that our local Migros will have supplies of brussel sprouts this Thursday unlike last year when they got them 3 days after Christmas and wondered why nobody was buying them.
What is a "paraceptol" is it some new Turkish gimmik for making money from your telephone sounds good to me, or a new way to rip off the foreigners? Sorry I think I know what you meant but it made me laugh as I read it in Turkish, para-cep-tol !!!!

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Sorry i do beg your parsnip , I meant Paracetamol . ha ha ha ........Diane

dalyansteve

Forgiven, except for the "parsnip" I have just got some, that were flown in last night and were very gratefully received. Before anyone here starts begging there are only enough for the one meal...

Perhaps we could all start charging a "paraceptol" for all Turks who shout into their phones and insist on loud phone conversations in restaurants!!!

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
ohh i meant Pardon not parsnip ... Thing is did you get any sprouts . Are the sprouts imported or grown in Turkey !!!

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Sprouts are grown in Turkey. They're quite a popular vegetable.

pldouglas

If there is a sprout shortage its because all the buggers are still growing in my garden, I have a veritable forest of 'em!

zozatky

Got our today from the sali pazar (Bruxell Lahana)Going to be a bit windy over the Christmas period.:moonie::moonie:

Gin&Tonic

I love sprouts and the first Christmas I was in Turkey I went to a restaurant for lunch and we had the full Christmas lunch, went back in the evening to the same restaurant and they had a buffet with cold sprouts. Much as I love sprouts I couldnt eat them cold!!!

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
After reading this we rushed out to Tesco's for sprouts. Thank goodness they had some left, although there was quite a crowd around them! Anyway, we got enough for christmas dinner, and we were astute enough to buy some for the 2010 christmas dinner too. we are'nt stupid :)

Maisie

Just got back from Sainsbury's. Loads of sprouts there. Loose, Taste the Difference pre-packed, pre-packed bags in their own Value range, frozen and brussel sprout trees also. No evidence of panic buying. Still, I suppose they are not as popular as other items when rumours abound about shortages. Maisie

Latest Posts

Top Bottom