• Waiting time for installation
  • Installation costs
  • Monthly subscription cost
  • Download speed

Any help much appreciated

Rgds

Eddie

:3:

As far as my limited experience, this is how it goes.

Apply at Turk Telekom office in Oba, every taxi driver knows the address.

For me the installation was made the same day (a saturday!) but normally within a week i think.

As far as i know the installation cost is almost negligible, i think it was around 7 lira?

Monthly subscription cost depends on speed and download limit/no limit. I pay around 80 lira for 4/1 mbit speed no limit, but i think they offer up to 8/1 at the moment. They also have a vdsl2 offering but i dont know if that one is applicable in Mahmutlar/Alanya.

More info: TTNET // ADSL Paketleri (in turkish)

butt007

Warren
Broadband in Mahmutlar
Hi Eddiedo, yes The Igor is correct go to Telecom Office Oba, the buses along the coast rd drive past it (50mtr up side rd).
I have 4gig monthly download max at speed of 1gig, costs 29lira/mth by D.Deb all done same day.
Warren

Broadband in Mahmutlar
theres not much more i can add to İgor and Warren ..except i pay 49 lira a month i live in tosmure...and its good.

ANDY2UK

Yorkshireman in Gazıpaşa
Broadband in Mahmutlar
theres not much more i can add to İgor and Warren ..except i pay 49 lira a month i live in tosmure...and its good.

We,re about the same,49TL per month for 8mb unlımıted.That was wıth free modem and only 29TL per month for the fırst 6 months.

butt007

Warren
Broadband in Mahmutlar
Hi Gizmo, only just seen your question re-installation of broadband. Yes you do have to have Res. Permit, it is not broadband as in the UK where it comes down Fiber Optic Cables, here it comes down your phone line and is called ADSL.....as used to be in the UK.

It tends to be a lot slower than fiber op.
Warren

ANDY2UK

Yorkshireman in Gazıpaşa
Broadband in Mahmutlar
Hi Gizmo, only just seen your question re-installation of broadband. Yes you do have to have Res. Permit, it is not broadband as in the UK where it comes down Fiber Optic Cables, here it comes down your phone line and is called ADSL.....as used to be in the UK.

It tends to be a lot slower than fiber op.
Warren

ADSL Broadband down a telephone line is the most common type in the UK too (more common than Fibre Optic Cable networks). Granted it is slower than Fibre Optic but even here in Turkey you can still download a full length film in less than 30 minutes and MP3 music files in about 10 to 20 seconds so it's not too slow.

butt007

Warren
Broadband in Mahmutlar
Sorry I thought pretty well 90% of the UK was Fib.Op. Certainly on the Wirral Peninsular it was and had been for A few years and that was prior to us leaving early 2005.

But I do find ADSL slower.....maybe I should get a faster download speed, but there again I'm just tight fisted Ha,Ha,
Warren

ANDY2UK

Yorkshireman in Gazıpaşa
Broadband in Mahmutlar
Sorry I thought pretty well 90% of the UK was Fib.Op. Certainly on the Wirral Peninsular it was and had been for A few years and that was prior to us leaving early 2005.

But I do find ADSL slower.....maybe I should get a faster download speed, but there again I'm just tight fisted Ha,Ha,
Warren

Sorry if it sounded that I was critisizing what you had said,it wasn't meant that way. You're right about the Cable coverage in the uk but the percentage of people using it is much lower. I think the main reason for this is the number of good ADSL Packages that are available. With companies like Virgin and AOL offering 8Mb packages from £5 per month and TalkTalk £24 per month for upto 24Mb. I'm sure tho that in the not too distant future that more people will switch over to Cable.
Here in Gazipaşa I'm on 8Mb ADSL and find it quick enough most of the time, even quick enough for streaming live TV.

A89

Broadband in Mahmutlar
Can anyone tell me if its easy to set up your laptop to watch tv programs on your TV set??(Im a bit of a technophobe :p) Also what tv channels can you get?
Im moving over next month and dont know what tv to arrange. I was originally thinking of having digiturk but Im only really bothered about some news and channel 4 and was told by them that you cant possibly receive it outside UK but I understand from various posts on here that you can. Unfortunately my building doesnt have the really big satellite dish that I understand you need to get all the UK channels and cant see anyone else wanting to share the cost as im the only Brit there. So........Im wondering if Id be better to try streaming TV from my laptop.
My internet is quite slow there, Ive been paying 29TL a month for a few years now, would I need to have a higher speed and pay a little more?

val2661

Broadband in Mahmutlar
Ali you would need to upgrade your broadband to 49Tl per month unlimited broadband. Neil of Gumusluk who is a member on here runs a company called UKTV Access. You can download this and it gives you a VPN number in the UK to access UK TV. Mainly catch up service, but I find this ok for me. It costs 10TL a month, payable by Direct Debit. Just google UKTV and you can read all about what it offers. Some people haven't had much joy with it, but I'm based in Avsallar and I get it 90% ok. A lot of people in other areas use dreambox, but it isn't readily available in Alanya. Good luck

Val

Reactions: A89

A89

Broadband in Mahmutlar
Ali you would need to upgrade your broadband to 49Tl per month unlimited broadband. Neil of Gumusluk who is a member on here runs a company called UKTV Access. You can download this and it gives you a VPN number in the UK to access UK TV. Mainly catch up service, but I find this ok for me. It costs 10TL a month, payable by Direct Debit. Just google UKTV and you can read all about what it offers. Some people haven't had much joy with it, but I'm based in Avsallar and I get it 90% ok. A lot of people in other areas use dreambox, but it isn't readily available in Alanya. Good luck

Val

This sounds excellent but how do you set it up in Turkey? Also, do you get any Turkish TVat all free?? Or would I need to subscribe to somethng if I did wamt some Turkish tv too?

A89

Broadband in Mahmutlar
I think Ive misunderstood. Ive just googled UKTV as Val advised and I see its a certain set of channels that are available on this service. Unfortunately these programs are not really the ones that I want to watch.
Can anyone tell me if its possible to watch channel 4 and other english channels (current or recent programs)through the internet? Or................even better.............can anyone please tell me what is available to watch through the internet?

val2661

Broadband in Mahmutlar
I think Ive misunderstood. Ive just googled UKTV as Val advised and I see its a certain set of channels that are available on this service. Unfortunately these programs are not really the ones that I want to watch.
Can anyone tell me if its possible to watch channel 4 and other english channels (current or recent programs)through the internet? Or................even better.............can anyone please tell me what is available to watch through the internet?
Ali you can watch BBC iplayer, ITV Catch Up and 4OD on UKTV Access. When you go in to it to join you have to give a debit card no, which is then debited every three months with the fee. I've just watched Celebrity Masterchef live on line on iPlayer website. I've also watched a lot of Channel 4 programmes. Unfortunately you can't watch any Turkish programmes as it is UKTV. I have the basic Digiturk TV package which is 23TL a month. If you look at Digiturk website it gives you the channels you get for the ekonomic service.

Val

A89

Broadband in Mahmutlar
oh ok Val I understand now, thats great! Do you watch them through the tv or just on your computer scree? If you can watch them on the tv set is that easy to set up? (I do apologise - I dont anything about things like this :confused: )

Regarding Turkish tv programs - what I meant is - if you buy a tv and just plug into the ariel socket, as we do in England, can you get any Turkish channels like that or does everyone there have to subscribe to some package or other?

val2661

Broadband in Mahmutlar
oh ok Val I understand now, thats great! Do you watch them through the tv or just on your computer scree? If you can watch them on the tv set is that easy to set up? (I do apologise - I dont anything about things like this :confused: )

Regarding Turkish tv programs - what I meant is - if you buy a tv and just plug into the ariel socket, as we do in England, can you get any Turkish channels like that or does everyone there have to subscribe to some package or other?
You have to subscribe to a package here and the simplest way is Digiturk. You just go into the Digiturk shop, sign the paperwork and they come out and fit the box and dish for you. With regard to watching internet enabled TV through your TV, If your TV is HDMI enabled (flat screen) you would be able to channel your computer through to watch it on the tv screen. For this you need the correct cables which you can buy from Kipa, but if you are going back to UK soon, you can get them cheaper from PC World or Maplins.

Val

Reactions: A89

ANDY2UK

Yorkshireman in Gazıpaşa
Broadband in Mahmutlar
You have to subscribe to a package here and the simplest way is Digiturk. You just go into the Digiturk shop, sign the paperwork and they come out and fit the box and dish for you. With regard to watching internet enabled TV through your TV, If your TV is HDMI enabled (flat screen) you would be able to channel your computer through to watch it on the tv screen. For this you need the correct cables which you can buy from Kipa, but if you are going back to UK soon, you can get them cheaper from PC World or Maplins.

Val

The HDMI cable can be found quite cheaply in Alanya. I found that Kipa was a bit costly at around 60TL, the same day I went into Teknosa and found the same cable at 19.5TL.

turbodave

Broadband in Mahmutlar
Can anyone tell me if its easy to set up your laptop to watch tv programs on your TV set??(Im a bit of a technophobe :p) Also what tv channels can you get?
Im moving over next month and dont know what tv to arrange. I was originally thinking of having digiturk but Im only really bothered about some news and channel 4 and was told by them that you cant possibly receive it outside UK but I understand from various posts on here that you can. Unfortunately my building doesnt have the really big satellite dish that I understand you need to get all the UK channels and cant see anyone else wanting to share the cost as im the only Brit there. So........Im wondering if Id be better to try streaming TV from my laptop.
My internet is quite slow there, Ive been paying 29TL a month for a few years now, would I need to have a higher speed and pay a little more?

Hello
You can google itv player--bbc player and 4od-chanel 4 for free, you can watch certain progs, but a day later

ANDY2UK

Yorkshireman in Gazıpaşa
Broadband in Mahmutlar

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 they include Windows Media Center. You can download a program called TunerfreeMCE, this will give you all the BBC,ITV Channels, 4, More4, E4 and Five. All the BBC and ITV Channels can be played live and all do catchup programmes. These are all free but you will need a VPN to watch them.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom