bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
British Steel
I don't understand why the UK govt doesn't save this industry or at least give it funding to at least keep it ticking over till the upturn . A great loss of a heavy industry .

And to give the Candian Steel industry and a Russian billionaire oligarch. £45 mil to upgrade a steel plant . Crazy :132lm:

At least small reconpense a British Company will do the upgrade on the Canadian plant British company Primetals Technologies to carry out the steel mill improvements in Saskatchewan.

Could the government save SSI steel .

The new Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, spoke about the steel workers losing their jobs at SSI in Redcar in his conference speech on Tuesday.
"It is not too late now, again, to call on the prime minister even at this very late stage, this 12th hour, to step in and defend those people."

"Other governments like the Italian government have done the same. Why can't the British government? What is wrong with them?" he asked.

SSI announced on Monday that it was mothballing iron and steelmaking at the plant with the loss of 1,700 jobs.

Unions have also called on the government to step in and rescue the plant, but the government has said it is not allowed to do so.

Business Minister Anna Soubry said: "There are extremely strict state aid rules, which especially apply to the steel industry,

British steel industry buckles under the weight of cheap Chinese product

The slowdown in China’s economy has created a flood of cut-price steel that could lead to further closures of plants such as SSI UK’s in Redcar

He is worth £5.2billion, owns Chelsea FC and has a 557ft super yacht worth £1.5billion: So why is the British taxpayer loaning Roman Abramovich £45million to help upgrade a steel plant in Canada?

Billionaire's steel company is getting a treasury loan for Canadian plant
Critics spoke out as British steel jobs lost as works in Redcar is closed

Quango lending the money has previously helped finance Dubai deal

Read more: He is worth £5.2billion, owns Chelsea FC and has a 557ft super yacht worth £1.5billion: So why is the British taxpayer loaning Roman Abramovich £45million to help upgrade a steel plant in Canada?* | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited:

kibris

British Steel
because the unıons mıght get bıg agaın and wıeld power enough to brıng any government down that doesnt cow-tow to them.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
British Steel
Why waste taxpayers money on something that would have little return for the already extremely wealthy ? Just look at recent share issues of banks and the Royal Mail.

Martin

Spurs

Spurs
British Steel
Sandwich makers are becoming the backbone of the UKs workforce.

Would it really be so bad to bail out these industries & keep the communities together? Another hit on the North & right before Christmas.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
British Steel
Sandwich makers are becoming the backbone of the UKs workforce.

Would it really be so bad to bail out these industries & keep the communities together? Another hit on the North & right before Christmas.

Northern labourites, no money, no profit, no votes there so why bother worrying, Harrods and f & m will be having their Xmas illuminations on soon so things aren't that bad.

Martin

Hilsjw

British Steel
Took the words out of my mouth evo80. It seems every year, nearing Christmas there's always great job losses. I feel sorry for the families. Not much fun job hunting just prior to Christmas. Bloody China eh, with all their cheap stuff. I can guess what the condiditons their workers have to put up with to send us cheap steel/clothes etc.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
British Steel
The Conservatives care naught as to who makes the steel , as long as they can import and sell it , for their own profit...

Sod the country and it's peoples.

Germany invested in Steel and shipyards , Germany is still a world player.

Germany puts it's own people first , Osborne wants to sell us out to the Chinese

Steve

Mushroom

Top Poster Of Month
British Steel
The economy is recovering, unemployment is falling and it's free beer for everybody.... tomorrow.
I don't see signs of an economy recovering. We don't make anything anymore and if making people set up to work part-time basically like selling the Big Issue is a way of fudging unemployment figures, its all part of the Con.
Most global events work in cycles and just now the world i.e China does not need the supply of steel it did previously, but unless steel stays out of demand, which is very unlikely, the time will come when once again the UK will be caught with its pants down as someone else fills in the supply for the demand.
This short term vision is what has let us down time and time again.
We shut the pits and imported coal, when other countries were looking after themselves and were happy to export to us. The same will happen to steel.
Then of course the prices will rise and not only do we have to fund unemployed former workers but we have to take the hit on the rising charges or the option is ... we don't have any.
I have predicted for years that because we have tried to use the renewable energy option and it doesn't provide anything like the required amount, the nuclear option is years away from new plants and now we are shutting coal fired power stations within the next year, we are going to get caught out when a severe winter returns.
That severe winter might not be too far away.
In some years to come, some 'bright' politician will point out that to be self sufficient for energy we could use something called coal. There's about 200 years supply underground, the technology now exists to eliminate the nasty by-products when burnt in power stations. Just a few problems - It would take years to sink new shafts, it would take years to build new power stations and there are no miners or even ex-miners left to train up the new ones.
Meanwhile 'Fracking' could be the saviour, but we will probably have to rely on foreign firms producing the goods for us in the UK and of course get over countless hurdles from the tree huggers and other eco-warriers until they realise that their lights also go out with the rest of us.
We had an empire once you know !!

Sha Hoorsur

British Steel
I'm thinking of going into business making coolie hats for the British workers who still have a job. I reckon I’ll be on to a winner.
:thumbup:

Sha Hoorsur

British Steel
This really winds me up the North South divide thing. The Tory posh boys have no idea whatsoever about what goes on up here. If it doesn’t affect London then it doesn’t exist. Fortunes get spent on stupid corkscrew sculptures and other rubbish. It looks like they’re going ahead with this garden bridge over the Thames that is going to cost millions, nobody so far seems to have factored in the maintenance costs of this little whim either. So that will be more millions to waste. This cross London tube system is another thing that is costing not millions but billions, and strangely you never hear much about it, despite it being the biggest construction project in Europe at the minute, yet they can’t provide some support for industry in the North. And they sit on their fat Tory ar$es down there and wonder why the Scots vote for the SNP. I recon wee nippy Nicky should field a few candidates in the North of England. They would be better than what they have now. And do you know what an endless source of amazement, to me is at least? People outside London still vote Tory!
I suppose that’s the trouble with democracy. Even Sun readers get to vote.

Spurs

Spurs
British Steel
The benefit of working all over the UK is that you DO notice the difference. That's without even looking for it.
I really feel for these workforces just being junked, in a few years the Government will be saying, "we need skilled people". Well you've had them you bunch off to$$ers & scrapped them.

Top Bottom