Robert

British Democracy??
I must say. I find it a bit rich when I read threads critical of various aspects of the Turkish constitution and culture.
I lived in Britain for the first 55 years of my life and was never given a chance to vote for the head of state. I'm sure H.R.M. is a lovely lady and dose a fantastic job, but is it Democratic??????
I know that opinion polls always show massive suport for the monarchy, and if we did have a vote I am sure I would be in a minority.
It just seems a rather strange system of "democracy" that you become head of state because you happen to be born in the right family.
I.M OFF TO THE SHETER NOW TO WAIT FOR THE ROYALIST ATTACK!!:ukflag:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
British Democracy??
I have to say I can't remember seeing any threads specifically criticising Turkey with regards to it's constitution or culture?

Stuff yes about business practice and bureaucracy but not the two subjects you mention, but I may have missed what you refer to Robert.

C

Robert

British Democracy??
I have to say I can't remember seeing any threads specifically criticising Turkey with regards to it's constitution or culture?

Stuff yes about business practice and bureaucracy but not the two subjects you mention, but I may have missed what you refer to Robert.

C

ok. just one example, recently there was a thread about a Turkish play write who faces a prison sentence , he was prosecuted under a law regarding the Turkish constitution. Anyway it all got rather heated and the thread was deleted.
Sorry to open old wounds, moderator (its ceemac's faUlt). hehehehe

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
British Democracy??
Was that the thread that Maria made reference to on the 'Muslim Issues' thread?

I did miss that debate if that's the one.

C

Freshness

British Democracy??
I must say. I find it a bit rich when I read threads critical of various aspects of the Turkish constitution and culture.
I lived in Britain for the first 55 years of my life and was never given a chance to vote for the head of state. I'm sure H.R.M. is a lovely lady and dose a fantastic job, but is it Democratic??????
I know that opinion polls always show massive suport for the monarchy, and if we did have a vote I am sure I would be in a minority.
It just seems a rather strange system of "democracy" that you become head of state because you happen to be born in the right family.
I.M OFF TO THE SHETER NOW TO WAIT FOR THE ROYALIST ATTACK!!:ukflag:
I was surprised when I learned that there is no constituon in UK? There is no monarchy in Turkey thats also true, there are elections in each 5 year.
Its really interesting

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
British Democracy??
It's a sore point with a lot of British people Freshness that there's no written constitution

C

British Democracy??
i missed the thread about the author..drat it..which author and when?
İ dont understand British politics..maybe i might learn something if you lot get sparking

Lemonhead

Devil's Advocacy LLC
British Democracy??
I just recently discovered Obama is the president. It's probably a bit much to know that England has a monarchy or the people of Turkey are muslim? Next thing someone is going to tell me is that the U.S. will have National Healthcare.

Chinook

British Democracy??
It is true that there is no single codified written law but is by statutes enacted by Parliament and case law established through court . The Queen is the titular head and reigns but does not govern. Whilst she enacts the Acts of Parliament she cannot refuse to sign them.

I am not aware that its a "sore point with a majority of British people that there is no written constitution" indeed Scotland does have codified law.

parrot

British Democracy??
It baffles me,not too hard to do,that the U.K.with or without an elected head of state or with or without an elected head of a democratic government or with or without a written constitution still manages to attract hundreds of thousands who want to come and live here.We must be doing something right,or wrong whatever your point of view may be.

British Democracy??
Of the top ten countries listed by Worldaudit as the countries with the best human rights, democracy, rule of law, freedom of press etc etc.....of the top ten Eight are monarchies!

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
British Democracy??
Of the top ten countries listed by Worldaudit as the countries with the best human rights, democracy, rule of law, freedom of press etc etc.....of the top ten Eight are monarchies!

and one of those countries has "privacy" laws designed to gag the press if you have the money or the power.

martin

Robert

British Democracy??

I notice you do not say if the U.K. is in the top ten.
Please tell us what position the U.K. is in the Worldaudit list

I would be amazed if it was in the top 50!!!!!!

ADVANCE BRITANIA:cheer2:

teosgirl

British Democracy??
Britain is No.13 *unlucky for some?*
Turkey is No.51

Taiwan, south korea, south Africa,

Last edited:
British Democracy??
and who does the audit, mewonders ...

Wonder not...WorldAudit.org home page [I think]

PASTE...
World Audit brings together statistics and reports from highly respected agencies, each with their own developed specialities. Freedom House, Transparency International, Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, The International Commission of Jurists are THE names where political rights, civil liberties, press freedom, perceptions of corruption, human rights, and the rule of law, are concerned. From their admirable work we present and update the World Democracy Audit. Our reports monitor and rank every one of the 149 nation states with populations in excess of 1 million - thus 99% of the world's population. In addition, for purposes of comparison, we include the Table produced by the World Forum of Electoral Democracies. Finally, we have 210 country pages which include World Audit statistics and links to democracy and human rights country reports, and now The Index of Economic Freedom as well, a different kind of liberty to the other reported here.

World Audit is in an international not-for-profit company, registered in England by the registered charity, World Concern. Our aim is to provide a truly global geopolitical perspective because we believe that corruption, human rights abuses, vote stuffing, miscarriages of justice, and press censorship in ANY country should be publicised to as wide an audience as possible.

Last edited:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
British Democracy??
It is true that there is no single codified written law but is by statutes enacted by Parliament and case law established through court . The Queen is the titular head and reigns but does not govern. Whilst she enacts the Acts of Parliament she cannot refuse to sign them.

I am not aware that its a "sore point with a majority of British people that there is no written constitution" indeed Scotland does have codified law.

'Do the public feel that not having a clearly defined and enforceable constitution serves them well? On the basis of opinion poll evidence, no. State of the Nation surveys conducted by ICM and Mori for the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust consistently show that around two-thirds of the population support the introduction of a codified constitution.'

Professor David Beetham, Professor Helen Margetts, Professor Trevor Smith, Professor Stuart Weirstuart
Democratic Audit, University of Essex

C

Gamuret

British Democracy??
This country is a constitutional monarchy. The benefits of an unwritten constitution is it's flexibility as opposed to the rigidity of a written one. Also, we must not forget that it's interpretation is an excellent source of income for lawyers and the judiciary!

Constitutional Law is a fascinating and involved subject and the position of the monarchy is a subject that can provide endless debate.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
British Democracy??
Only two democracies don't have a written constitution I believe - UK and Israel.

C

Latest Posts

Top Bottom