cside

brexit
Well we could have the situation where Turkey is an EU member and UK citizens are not which probably mean changes would happen but would not materially impact on the ease or lack of ease of getting a residents permit.

Whereas if we remain in and Turkey joins then it would make it much easier for UK citizens to live in Turkey. Another of the many valid reasons for voting to stay in. Waiting to hear a reason to leave EU that has any validity.

cside

brexit
Hopefully those on benefits will be kicked into touch.

Do you mean Turks living in the UK on benefits or UK citizens on benefits living in Turkey? Because if you mean the later then a lot of retired UK nationals relying on their state pension to support or partially support themselves will be forced home.

kibris

brexit
fıtstly the brıtısh state pensıon whıch ı do not recıeve yet ıs NOT a benefıt and many ex-pats have theır pensıon paıd dırectly to theır turkısh bank account and there ıs an agreement wıth turkey for them to do thıs---there are no benefıts paıd to ex-pats from the turkısh government and we have to prove we have a certaın amount of money ın the bank or proof of pensıon ın order to get our resıdents permıt,.

ihutch

brexit
I fail to see any benefit in being British, born and bred. Once out of the country for a few months suddenly one becomes an immigrant and if having to go back there to live, gets less help than other migrants from abroad who have never paid a penny into the state system. I object strongly to being classed as am immigrant in my country of birth!
As for the pension, it has been paid into and earned over so many years and is an entitlement, not a benefit. What happens to expats in or out of the EU remains to be seen.

mollag

Kipper restorer
brexit
I'm a bit confused, if I am out of the country for a few months, do I lose my citizenship, passport etc.?
If so, why would I be treated less than any other non citizen immigrant?
If not can someone really become a second class immigrant into a country that they already hold a passport for?

I'm genuinely curious as we lived in Turkey for many years, returning recently and had no problems at all.

Last edited:

ihutch

brexit
The problem with returning to the UK is no help is given for some months regarding housing etc. If someone keeps their home in the UK then all is okay. But for some people who have lived overseas for years and do not have property there, then help is not given readily, unlike some other immigrants. You do not lose your passport but whereas one would assume that the country where one was born, worked and paid taxes in one would remain an ordinary citizen, that is not so. Like I said, I object to being classed as an immigrant when I am not.
I have been told by a social services department that I would have to find somewhere lot live and pay for everything for up to 6 months before any state assistance would be granted. The cost of renting and living in the UK far outweighs my pension so I feel penalised. I hope to stay out of the country as long as I can as it obviously doesn't want expats of pensionable age returning unless they are wealthy.

bigalant

brexit
Last edited:

juco

brexit
First, there was Brexit—the possibility of Britain leaving the European Union in its upcoming membership referendum. Then there was Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka’s irresistible coinage of Czexit to warn of knock-on referenda elsewhere in the EU. Now, a new poll suggests that we could be dealing with the threat of Frexit, Swexit, Gerxit and Spexit in the not-too-distant future.

Research from Edinburgh University shows that 53 percent of French would like to hold their own vote on EU membership, and in Spain, Germany and Sweden more people are in favor of doing so than are opposed.

Marine le Pen, leader of the hard-right Euroskeptic party Front National, which wants France to hold an EU referendum, welcomed the research in a blog post, saying French demands for a referendum were “extremely encouraging.”

Spurs

Spurs
brexit
First, there was Brexit—the possibility of Britain leaving the European Union in its upcoming membership referendum. Then there was Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka’s irresistible coinage of Czexit to warn of knock-on referenda elsewhere in the EU. Now, a new poll suggests that we could be dealing with the threat of Frexit, Swexit, Gerxit and Spexit in the not-too-distant future.

Research from Edinburgh University shows that 53 percent of French would like to hold their own vote on EU membership, and in Spain, Germany and Sweden more people are in favor of doing so than are opposed.

Marine le Pen, leader of the hard-right Euroskeptic party Front National, which wants France to hold an EU referendum, welcomed the research in a blog post, saying French demands for a referendum were “extremely encouraging.”

Scenario:

We vote to remain, 12 months later Germany or France or even both vote to leave. We are left holding the babies bath water for what's rapidly becoming a bunch of countries that are forever holding hands out for cash.
I read somewhere that Germany itself would do very well out of the Euro, if they left the EU then no doubt they would leave the Euro as well.

A German or French referendum would be an even more scary issue to the EU than a Brexit I reckon. Will they ever get a referendum though, I think they will somewhere down the line.

akbukowl

brexit
The problem with returning to the UK is no help is given for some months regarding housing etc. If someone keeps their home in the UK then all is okay. But for some people who have lived overseas for years and do not have property there, then help is not given readily, unlike some other immigrants. You do not lose your passport but whereas one would assume that the country where one was born, worked and paid taxes in one would remain an ordinary citizen, that is not so. Like I said, I object to being classed as an immigrant when I am not.
I have been told by a social services department that I would have to find somewhere lot live and pay for everything for up to 6 months before any state assistance would be granted. The cost of renting and living in the UK far outweighs my pension so I feel penalised. I hope to stay out of the country as long as I can as it obviously doesn't want expats of pensionable age returning unless they are wealthy.

I don't know of any housing waiting list that isn't based on need and the fact is the government wants rid of social housing in the UK and wants people to use the private sector to access rented accommodation

akbukowl

brexit
Scenario:

We vote to remain, 12 months later Germany or France or even both vote to leave. We are left holding the babies bath water for what's rapidly becoming a bunch of countries that are forever holding hands out for cash.
I read somewhere that Germany itself would do very well out of the Euro, if they left the EU then no doubt they would leave the Euro as well.

A German or French referendum would be an even more scary issue to the EU than a Brexit I reckon. Will they ever get a referendum though, I think they will somewhere down the line.

Fantasy land dreamt up by conspiracy theorists

brexit
Hi All,back on here after a long time away.We are back in U.K after three years in Didim.Due to unforeseen circumstances just after moving to Didim my father came to live with us(for health reasons)he is 90 THIS YEAR,we applied to get attendance allowance for him because of his health needs and he was refused!why?because he. had been out of the U.K for over two years.you couldn't even make it up,he has allways worked,paid tax,and was even a Bevin Boy so does it matter if we are in or out?I am fuming.Thanks folk for reading this.Oh the d.w.p say when he has been back inU.K for two years he can reapply.

Hilsjw

brexit
That's just disgraceful Glyn. BBC news yesterday reported that one immigrant (one of many I suspect) in Portsmouth had clocked up a huge medical bill. It amounted to thousands of pounds (I can't remember the exact amount) No questions asked, of course, and he/she hadn't paid in a single dime, of course. It makes me really furious when I hear stories like yours, and there are plenty of them, only to learn that people deliberately come to the U.K. to help themselves to our NHS etc. Using the NHS for childbirth is yet another big scam by the way.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
brexit
Agreed it is shocking Hills , but she is Nigerian , nothing to do with the EEC , it was £181,000.

Steve

Latest Posts

Top Bottom